• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Consuming "Adult Beverages" While OCing

Esanders2008

[/B][/B]
Well said.

If i was at my buddys house or a similar private shindig, i would certainly indulge in a cool, crisp, refreshing Bud Light. In the public eye, at Chilies or a sushi joint, in the public eye, personally i would have a pop or water and enjoy my beverages at home. I'm not much of a big drinker anyway. But the sidearm swill stay home when I'm at the Mexican joints. Because i usually go with the intent of tearing down some margaritas!

My only problem with this statement is that when you leave your sidearm home, you don't have it available for use should the need arise. I believe it is all about balance. For example, I never said anything about getting drunk. I would never drink to excess while I was carrying, and in fact, have not at all since I turned 21. Moderation is key, and no one checks his or her right to self defense with the bartender.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Talking on the cell phone is a known distraction. One should never carry a sidearm while carrying on a conversation, chewing gum, holding a grocery bag in one hand, or especially with their children who need constant attention. Carrying a sidearm requires FULL MENTAL CAPABILITY. Period.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Talking on the cell phone is a known distraction. One should never carry a sidearm while carrying on a conversation, chewing gum, holding a grocery bag in one hand, or especially with their children who need constant attention. Carrying a sidearm requires FULL MENTAL CAPABILITY. Period.

Took me a moment to recognize the purple prose as sarcasm - you got me.:)

Esanders2008

+1

WhatTimeIsIt?

I have open carried while drinking in public before, not really a big deal as far as I'm concerned. I would never have drank to the point of feeling anything in public, gun or not. Now I choose not to drink at all in public, gun or not. Some alcohol may affect your ability to maintain proper situational awareness and/or defend yourself, but that's up for you to decide. It shouldn't really concern others.

Brian D.

How much alcohol does it take to remember not to talk to the police?

Y'all should come out West sometime. We'll take you to bars with guns on our hips.

On trips out west with fellow cowboy action shooters we'd make an overnight stop in Tombstone, Az. The saloons there didn't mind our 1880s-corrrect accoutrements, including the loaded sixguns, but they insisted we take off our spurs, because as one bartender explained "They're too hard on the furniture." Nobody batted an eye if one of us sipped a beer, either.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
On trips out west with fellow cowboy action shooters we'd make an overnight stop in Tombstone, Az. The saloons there didn't mind our 1880s-corrrect accoutrements, including the loaded sixguns,... Nobody batted an eye if one of us sipped a beer, either.

Unfortunately, AZ has lost some of its Western heritage in this regard. Unlike NV and UT, AZ makes it illegal to consume alcohol while carrying in an establishment that sells it for consumption on the premises. Also, you can not open carry in the establishment; you must conceal. And while most of the state enjoys constitutional carry with no permit required, you do have to have a permit (from any state) in order to conceal in that establishment.

I do not know when the law changed, and will have to look up the cite, as I don't teach AZ law often enough to remember the Code at the moment.

OC for ME

All valid points except maybe chewing gum. It is ironic that drinking and carrying is bad, but being self distracted and carrying is OK. All of the activities above may engender in the general public's mind a negative image of the OCer.

sidestreet

Just my $0.02 worth...,

I stopped drinking any kind of alcohol some years ago, not because I couldn't handle it, but because I could. I know that might sound strange, but I'll try to explain it like this, I have never seen alcohol "help" a situation. Forget the "one or two" mind set, I've seen persons personalities change with the first drink, not all , but some persons. I know people that can't handle it..., at all. I don't want to be around them then, and especially not if they are armed, much less driving. I teach no alcohol or drugs when handling firearms, so if I'm going to talk it, then I'm dang sure going to walk it.

None of this is to say that I believe if a person needs to exercise their right to self defense that they shouldn't just because they have been imbibing or taken prescribed medicine, sometimes it's unavoidable, but I also believe that it helps if drugs and/or alcohol never become even the slightest factor in an after "action" analysis.

I am aware that people form an opinion/impression simply by what they observe, think about Joe Morrissey..., starting to get the picture now?

For me, I believe I have a good idea of all the hard work that others have done to promote, regain, protect, and increase our carry options and promote a positive example to the "uninformed", and I'm going to try to very hard not to undo any of that. YMMV.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 v. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

Walt_Kowalski

I've OCed and had a beer or 2 with dinner before. If you are not responsible enough to handle a firearm after consuming a few beers... you likely should not ever handle a firearm ;)

I don't make a habit of it, but I don't frown on anyone that does.

va_tazdad

I would respectfully disagree

I've OCed and had a beer or 2 with dinner before. If you are not responsible enough to handle a firearm after consuming a few beers... you likely should not ever handle a firearm ;)

I don't make a habit of it, but I don't frown on anyone that does.

Many people don't enjoy "adult beverages", or simply choose not to drink them when carrying.

That does not make them irresponsible or the type that "should not ever handle a firearm" .

I know my limits and choose not to carry if I am drinking. As I said before, we are all adults and responsible for our actions. To each their own.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I think we should be required to take anti-adrenaline medication in order to carry a firearm.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Again, "impairment" while operating a dangerous device is one thing. "Impairment" while in simple possession of a dangerous device is another.

To be fair, you should have mentioned your link was about driving, not carrying a sidearm.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Again, "impairment" while operating a dangerous device is one thing. "Impairment" while in simple possession of a dangerous device is another.

To be fair, you should have mentioned your link was about driving, not carrying a sidearm.

You may be right.

The point I was making though is that prosecutors can and will utilize anything to strengthen their case - this became a high profile one through the local media and it seems that the prosecutor will leave no stone unturned. Don't know enough to make a judgement, nor will I venture an opinion here.

Just as with LEOs anything you say can and will be used against you..... etc. Well similarly what you do, when you did it may be used by the prosecutor.

I do not drink when carrying and I carry basically 24/7 so that possiblity is removed. ymmv

mtbinva

I found this to be pretty interesting...

"[t]he fact that a man has been drinking does not ipso facto deprive him of the right of self-defense, even though the necessity for the exercise of the right might not have arisen had neither he nor his aggressor been drinking." Hawkins v. Commonwealth, 160 Va. 935, 941, 169 S.E. 558, 560 (1933); see Gilbert v. Commonwealth, 28 Va. App. 466, 473, 506 S.E.2d 543, 546-47 (1998) (holding that accused was not at fault in inviting aggressors to his house for drinks)...

I personally don't drink and carry, but that's me.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
"[t]he fact that a man has been drinking does not ipso facto deprive him of the right of self-defense, even though the necessity for the exercise of the right might not have arisen had neither he nor his aggressor been drinking." Hawkins v. Commonwealth, 160 Va. 935, 941, 169 S.E. 558, 560 (1933); see Gilbert v. Commonwealth, 28 Va. App. 466, 473, 506 S.E.2d 543, 546-47 (1998) (holding that accused was not at fault in inviting aggressors to his house for drinks)...

:)

Thanks, Mtbinva.

Where did you find this? I know of a website that collects this stuff for VA, and would like to forward it.