• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cop on cell phone=cop done bad cop tries to shoot dog-hits person good job!

WalkingWolf

I have been annoyed more time by children than by dogs .. so I guess I'm prejudiced. Dogs are just animals ... but that does not mean you shoot them just for being free otherwise one would have to agree to kill all free animals ...

Some communities all at large dogs are picked up, and the owners levied a HEFTY fine, not including pound fees. If the dog are viscous, and animal control documents they are, or they bite there is a hearing to put them down. These communities, at least the one I worked in, had no dog bites.

The owners somehow felt more civic responsibility to keep their animals contained. I love dogs, but owners should be punished if a dog suffers because the owner is a idiot. A attacking dog at large should always be put down, either on the spot, or later. Any other dog at large the owner should be fined by the weight(size) of the dog. Ten dollars per pound should do it, not including pound and administrative fees.

Then police would not have to fire on attacking dogs at large. The problem is the idiot dog owners, and the idiot PC public, that cares more about dogs than children.

Keep your dogs restrained. I will shoot them too if I feel threatened. Be a responsible owner instead of a non responsible citizen.

BTW I did shoot and kill a attacking /charging pit bull last year. And I stopped a viscous dog this year, this pit bull survived a ball bat to the skull. Then later the owner agreed I should have shot and killed his dog, he was lucky I did not press charges. The dog has been on chain since. The dog had two women and three children cornered.

Keep your damn dogs restrained!

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It is getting far too easy for folks around here to figure out what I'm saying. I need to find me another gun nut web site where folks ain't as bright as the folks around here is.

;)

Their initiation fee is twice as much.
You can join them for(sic) free....we charge you to get out. :p

OC for ME

<snip>Ten dollars per pound should do it, not including pound and administrative fees.

<snip>
My one and only nod towards the metric system, $1.00 gram $24K+ (per ounce would be easier to get enacted), this would be a deterrent. A 65 lb. dog at $1/oz would run you about $780.00 + all the fees a government bureaucrat can lawfully levy against the offending pet owner.

OC for ME

My one and only nod towards the metric system, $1.00 gram $24K+ (per ounce would be easier to get enacted), this would be a deterrent. A 65 lb. dog at $1/oz would run you about $780.00 + all the fees a government bureaucrat can lawfully levy against the offending pet owner.
Though, a five to eight pound Yo Quiero Taco Bell dog attacking you and deserving of a cap because you feared for your safety.....uh, OK.

In the particular case posted in the OP the officer had every right, and likely a reasonable obligation to take the shot, but the burden is on him not to hit any bystanders. Unless of course the dog owner is not considered a bystander but a component of the overall threat situation.

SavageOne

Long established fact, per legislative action and the courts.

Would you restrict that ability (personal defense) to non-officers?

I beleive I asked why they are given extraordinary powers and discretion when it comes to their safety. A courier would not be treated the same if in the course of their job they came to a private property, was confronted by a dog, pulled a firearm, fired, missed, and caused injury to the owner of the property. Thar courier would be charged with any number of criminal offenses and infractions by the very persons, who if they did the same actions, many here feel are without blame. Yet, neither are legally required to protect the safety of another individual, thus my question. Clever how you turned what I asked around, and made it imply the exact oppisite of what I was asking. Is there any chance you will give an opinion on what I actually asked?

g21sfpistol

Banned
Some communities all at large dogs are picked up, and the owners levied a HEFTY fine, not including pound fees. If the dog are viscous, and animal control documents they are, or they bite there is a hearing to put them down. These communities, at least the one I worked in, had no dog bites.

The owners somehow felt more civic responsibility to keep their animals contained. I love dogs, but owners should be punished if a dog suffers because the owner is a idiot. A attacking dog at large should always be put down, either on the spot, or later. Any other dog at large the owner should be fined by the weight(size) of the dog. Ten dollars per pound should do it, not including pound and administrative fees.

Then police would not have to fire on attacking dogs at large. The problem is the idiot dog owners, and the idiot PC public, that cares more about dogs than children.

Keep your dogs restrained. I will shoot them too if I feel threatened. Be a responsible owner instead of a non responsible citizen.

BTW I did shoot and kill a attacking /charging pit bull last year. And I stopped a viscous dog this year, this pit bull survived a ball bat to the skull. Then later the owner agreed I should have shot and killed his dog, he was lucky I did not press charges. The dog has been on chain since. The dog had two women and three children cornered.

Keep your damn dogs restrained!

sounds like you are saying all dogs are pits. i notice you have a issue with pits which are known to be bread fighting dogs which in a lot of states and counties have spacific laws just for pits. im seeing kids used like obama uses kids to sign executive orders. i dont even believe kids are mentioned in the story. BUT i would agree if a dog is attacking a person who didnt provoke them could be shot in self defense. the dog would more than likely be put down anyway after the attack. i have a stupid little dog chase me and my dog around when im walking him and he charges. should i shoot him? cause he charges.

WalkingWolf

sounds like you are saying all dogs are pits. i notice you have a issue with pits which are known to be bread fighting dogs which in a lot of states and counties have spacific laws just for pits. im seeing kids used like obama uses kids to sign executive orders. i dont even believe kids are mentioned in the story. BUT i would agree if a dog is attacking a person who didnt provoke them could be shot in self defense. the dog would more than likely be put down anyway after the attack. i have a stupid little dog chase me and my dog around when im walking him and he charges. should i shoot him? cause he charges.

No where did I say any dog was a pit, you sir are dishonest. Please in the future refrain from speaking for me, I am quite capable of speaking for myself. As far as what YOU do, are you not mature enough to know when is or is not the appropriate time to use a firearm. If not you have no business carrying one.

g21sfpistol

Banned
I beleive I asked why they are given extraordinary powers and discretion when it comes to their safety. A courier would not be treated the same if in the course of their job they came to a private property, was confronted by a dog, pulled a firearm, fired, missed, and caused injury to the owner of the property. Thar courier would be charged with any number of criminal offenses and infractions by the very persons, who if they did the same actions, many here feel are without blame. Yet, neither are legally required to protect the safety of another individual, thus my question. Clever how you turned what I asked around, and made it imply the exact oppisite of what I was asking. Is there any chance you will give an opinion on what I actually asked?

isnt that funny how your words get turned around on here. this is a point im trying to make. if you or i shot a dog you think the police are gunna tell ya good job and be on your marry way? weird how some of these people havnt answered that yet. But if it was a bad guy charging you they would think twice before shooting cause they would wanna know the distance they are charging at and you might put the public at risk by shooting. and be prepared to go to jail for firing your gun even if you missed. double standard.

WalkingWolf

A courier has the discretion to NOT deliver your mail if there is a dog at large, and that is all they need to stop delivery. They can't shoot because they are not allowed to have a firearm while in the performance of their job. They are issued spray and they do use it, and sometimes they still get bitten.

If you don't want your dog shot by police or animal control, take responsibility or put the dog up for adoption by a responsible person.

g21sfpistol

Banned
No where did I say any dog was a pit, you sir are dishonest. Please in the future refrain from speaking for me, I am quite capable of speaking for myself. As far as what YOU do, are you not mature enough to know when is or is not the appropriate time to use a firearm. If not you have no business carrying one.

are you serious???? you stated you shot a pit last year and hit one with a bat. and all the videos you posted i believe were all pits. you need to quit being dishonest. if not dont even reply to me then. you dont know me so dont speak for me.

SavageOne

WW, in my readings of his post, does not post blindly regarding any issue. WW's call to put down every at large dog on the spot is a bit extreme. I do not think that WW actually desires that every "at large dog" be put down on the spot.....period, but I could be mistaken. I do not know his views regarding dogs in general.

In urban and suburban settings the control of a dog (pet) by its owner is typically mandated by city code. In this respect pet owners should consider themselves fortunate that charges are not filed against them in every case of a "at large dog" (pet).

Out in the country "at large dogs" are required, at least on every farm I know of including my own, for the safety and security of the farm and any farm animals.

You state that WW does not post blindly and then proceed to state you don't think he really means what he post. Which is it? He could have stepped back from it, modified what he posted, he has choosen not to. I am thus left with opinion he in fact does wish all "at large" dogs killed on the spot. Be it a tea cup chihuahua or an english mastiff, if it is on the loose it should be killed, and it should be done for "the children". It doesn't matter that majority of dogs "at large" don't attack or maul anyone, they could and thus should be killed without hesitation. I am quite suprised he didn't make a post to the effect that " if even one child is saved then it's worth it". He did however use the tactic that if you don't agree with him, that must mean you don't care that children are mauled or you are just a "cop hater",

His choice to use these inflammatory statements and tactics seems to parallel those used by a group called Anti's. I don't aopreciate these actions when used by Anti's, I don't appreciate them used by WW.

WalkingWolf

If you cannot control and contain your dog, you do not deserve to have a dog. Period!

On large rural farms service dogs perform a vital protection of property. In any setting where there are children, especially a city a dog at large should be taken from the streets and the owner heavily fined. Dogs are the responsibility of the owners, not other citizens, or the mail man, or the police.

Pits are more common then they used to be, and people abuse the breed. Because there are more of them they often find themselves being victims of their owners. I have nothing against any dog maintained by a responsible owner. When I shot the charging pit, it was not his fault, it was the idiot, stupid, ignorant, POS owner. Same for the one I hit with the ball bat, if I hadn't been returning from the PO I would have been armed and shot that one to.

But please don't concern yourself for the innocent women and children the dog was menacing... Sheesh:mad:

Again if you don't want me to shoot your dog, keep it chained, leashed, penned, or in a fenced yard. If anyone shoots your dog, it IS your fault.

SavageOne

A courier has the discretion to NOT deliver your mail if there is a dog at large, and that is all they need to stop delivery. They can't shoot because they are not allowed to have a firearm while in the performance of their job. They are issued spray and they do use it, and sometimes they still get bitten.

If you don't want your dog shot by police or animal control, take responsibility or put the dog up for adoption by a responsible person.

A LEO is under no obligation to answer a call either. Legally they can sit in their cruiser and watch a mugging and are not required to do one thing. That is the reason for my question. They are under no greater standard, legally, when it comes to protecting the safety of another, so why are they afforded more leeway when protecting their personal safety?

So, the reason LEOs can shoot dogs(and homeowner) with impunity is because, they are allowed to have a firearm as part of their job?

eye95

I agree that dog owners should be held accountable for thier dogs but what I get from all of walkingwolfs post is that it isn't about the dogs at large but the "blind" defense of any cop and their actions good or bad.

I do not get that from reading his posts.

eye95

sounds like you are saying all dogs are pits...

No. He isn't. It's nice to see that I am not the only person into whose mouth you put words. You did it to me, OC for me, and now WW.

How about letting us speak for ourselves and deal with what we actually say, instead if arguing against strawmen you are inventing.

WalkingWolf

A LEO is under no obligation to answer a call either. Legally they can sit in their cruiser and watch a mugging and are not required to do one thing. That is the reason for my question. They are under no greater standard, legally, when it comes to protecting the safety of another, so why are they afforded more leeway when protecting their personal safety?

So, the reason LEOs can shoot dogs(and homeowner) with impunity is because, they are allowed to have a firearm as part of their job?

Legally they are not required to answer calls, BUT contractually they are, it is their job. The SOP from department to department varies, but most will justify the shooting of a dangerous animal to answer a call. Mail couriers are not police officers, there job is not to answer police calls. Their SOP for dangerous dogs is not to deliver the mail. The reason a police officer can shoot a dog is because the owner is a idiot and has not contained their animal. If the dumba$$ owner had been responsible their would have been no need for the officer to use his firearm.

If you do not want your dog shot, be a responsible dog owner. It is very simple.

g21sfpistol

Banned
No. He isn't. It's nice to see that I am not the only person into whose mouth you put words. You did it to me, OC for me, and now WW.

How about letting us speak for ourselves and deal with what we actually say, instead if arguing against strawmen you are inventing.

every video he put up is a video about pits. he killed and shot one pit and hit one with a bat. like i said im sitting here pounding sand while you act like lieing children when all you have to do is go back and look at whats posted. liberal arguing 101. make a statments about a subject then later claim you never made it. when in doubt insult or blaim the other guy. i know this game and im not playing.