• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

COSTCO no firearm policy.

massivedesign

If a venue such as a mall or theater hires security and bans firearms, this is evidence that they foresaw violent crimes on their property.

So having a home security system is foreseeing a break-in at your house? Having a car alarm is foreseeing a car theft? Having law enforcement on the streets is foreseeing crime? No, they are all deterrents. And usually deterrents equal lower insurance rates.

amlevin

This is supposed to be a free and liberated population not one controlled and structured by laws.

Dream on. Could you imagine our society if it didn't have some legal structure?

Want an idea, just go turn on your TV. Take a look at what's happening in those countries at this minute that don't have a strong legal structure (or a functioning one).

sudden valley gunner

Dream on. Could you imagine our society if it didn't have some legal structure?

Want an idea, just go turn on your TV. Take a look at what's happening in those countries at this minute that don't have a strong legal structure (or a functioning one).

The two things don't equate, where did I advocate no legal structure. This is a very different thing than legal positivism.

You have a problem you take me to court civilly you don't need to get a law passed banning my actions.

I see you buy into the propaganda that we need to be controlled though. The problem in those countries isn't lack of control, which is what you are advocating, it goes deeper than that.

The "Wild West" was much more civilized before , government and laws and law enforcement. This is a fact.

The lack of legal positivism worked very well for several hundred years under English common law. This modern twisted statist idea of law is what is ruining civilization.

Last edited:

rapgood

I was replying to someone who advocated that any business who posts "no firearms" be made liable for injury caused by a criminal assault. it's not law now, but some people on the forums have floated making a law like that. I'm only stating I think it's absurd that a business that bans guns be held liable while a business that allows them be immune.

Now I understand you're an attorney Mr. Rapgood, so obviously you know way more then me. But I always thought generally in torts that disregarding rules or regulations absolved the regulating party of liability. like in my former workplace, if I attempted to put an item on top shelf of a shopping aisle using a wheeled shopping cart and fall and hurt myself, that the store isn't liable because they provided me with instructions to use OSHA compliant step ladders kept in the back.

Likewise I would think that if a business had posted "no gun policies" and a shooter came in and shot some people, the business isn't responsible since they didn't encourage nor ask that the shooter bring his gun on premises and by bringing his gun he violated posted rules.

I mean This was how I thought it worked from minimal reading, but obviously you're the expert so I'll defer to whatever you say is the case.

I wasn't implying that you were wrong. I was just trying to understand your reasoning. Now that I understand it, I disagree with you... somewhat. In certain circumstances, it may appear that a party is held harmless for failing to take an affirmative action, but those circumstances are actually quite rare.

In your example of the wheeled shopping cart, technically, the employer is liable. However, that liability may be offset by the legal theory of "comparative negligence" (while the employer may have been negligent in not ensuring that you complied with proper safety rules, that liability can be "offset" by whatever percentage of the injury was caused by your failure to follow established procedures). And even then, Workman's Compensation insurance is obtained to cover those costs assessed against the employer. However, usually, Workman's Comp covers the total costs when the situation has not been adjudicated by the employee suing the employer.

A licensee is one who enters on the land with the possessor's permission, express or implied, for his or her own purposes or business rather than for the possessor's benefit.

In the situation where some organization (such as WAC) has a function to which you are invited (either with or without an "entry fee"), the sponsor of that event owes you a duty to protect you from unnecessary harm. In this circumstance, the possessor (inviting party) owes you a general duty to use reasonable and ordinary care in keeping the property reasonably safe for your benefit. This general duty includes duties owed to licensees (to warn of non-obvious, dangerous conditions known to the possessor and to use ordinary care in active operations on the property) plus an affirmative duty to make reasonable inspections to discover dangerous conditions and, thereafter, make them safe.

The distinction between a "licensee" and an "invitee" is that the licensee enters the property (with permission) solely for purposes that benefit him or her. And invitee, on the other hand, has been invited onto the property for the benefit of the inviting party or for the benefit of both parties. In either circumstance, a duty is owed to the non-possessor of the land by the possessor of the land. Generally, a trespasser is owned no duty by a possessor except the possessor's duty to refrain from wanton and willful conduct (in other words, you generally aren't permitted to shoot them).

amlevin

Interesting conversation with Costco employee who is family member.

Yesterday my Grandson came over to spend the afternoon and help us clean out the refrigerator (he eats a lot). He recently went to work for Costco and has spent some time as an "ID Checker". When they assigned him to the position that day, he asked about all the rules for admission. Knowing that I carry, he asked what the policy was for firearms carried by customers. His Supervisor said "unless they are waving it around or threatening anyone, a holstered firearm is no big deal. Let them in and don't hassle them". The Supervisor had a bigger issue with the guests and non-members that came in and shopped. I guess a non-member is welcome to look around but can't even go so far as to put an item in a cart.

Is it just possible that the local stores are realizing that their "Employee Policy" doesn't extend to Customers and that without a prohibition on firearms in their published Membership Agreement that all restricting lawful carry is accomplishing is to p-o customers?

EMNofSeattle

The "Wild West" was much more civilized before , government and laws and law enforcement. This is a fact.

the wild west? hahahaha!

You think cops are bad now, why don't you tell me what you think would happen if you mouthed off about your "rights" to a sheriff of a frontier town, he'd probably lock you up for disrespecting him. I seem to recall that most wild west towns had some gun control laws in place too, the famed gunfight at the OK corral started after Clanton and the McLaury's refused to turn over their guns to Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday as the laws of Tombstone required. to claim some romanticized view of the "wild west" is absurd. your rights are far more respected in Modern Day Bellingham then they ever were in the "wild west"

leitung

Don't shop at Costco, don't ever plan to. Simple as that. Fred Meyer has everything I could ever need, and they welcome me and my firearm every time.

I don't buy in bulk, and it's too crowded for my tastes anyway.

Last edited:

papa bear

Let's bury this dead horse. This has been discussed on almost every thread in this forum ad nauseam .

this is not a dead horse as long as a business discriminates and takes away your civil rights. then it is alive and kicking.

personally i would like to see some demonstrations or protests especially on the news. maybe even a picnic handing out hotdogs and GSL stickers. explain to people the discrimination

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
this is not a dead horse as long as a business discriminates and takes away your civil rights. then it is alive and kicking.

personally i would like to see some demonstrations or protests especially on the news. maybe even a picnic handing out hotdogs and GSL stickers. explain to people the discrimination

Dear sweet and fluffy Baby Cuthlu on a velvet pogo stick -

COSTCO (nor any other private property owner/business) can NOT take away your civil rights. Only the government can do that.

And since people who carry guns have not yet been declared by Congress or SCOTUS to be a protected class with fundamental rights that extend into private commerce, there are no laws against "discriminating" against you by refusing to allow you to bear arms on their property. Maybe bear arms will one day be up there alongside race, sex, national origin, religion, and handicapping condition. But today it is not.

And since bearing arms is not yet a fundamental right under the law, COSTCO can and does make its members sign a contract which includes the agreement to not carry firearms on their property, which includes within their facilities. I'm not sure what damages COSTCO could claim so they could sue you for breach of contract, but if you read the document you signed when you joined you will see that it allows them to revoke your membership without having to pro-rate the fee.

But if you want to see a peaceful protest against COSTCO, go find the nearest public way and tell all your friends and neighbors to come on by and wave a sign. Do check to see if you need a permit - another "infringement" that SCOTUS has said is permissable so long as applications are not denied out of hand (content neutral) and the requirements for acting within the permit are not exhorbitant.

As far as I'm concerned, anybody that wilfully and intentionally does something they have agreed under a contract not to do is not a nice person that I would like to associate with. I would rather go without whatever COSTCO offers than sully my word. YMMV.

stay safe.

tombrewster421

COSTCO can and does make its members sign a contract which includes the agreement to not carry firearms on their property, which includes within their facilities.

This statement is completely false. That's why so many take issue with their hidden policy that you will only see if you happen to be confronted while
breaking that policy.

That policy is nowhere to be found on a contract that any customer has signed. It's not even in the rules posted online.

P.S. The fact that they hide their policy is probably why they WILL issue you a refund.

Last edited:

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran

tombrewster421

It actually is posted online, you just have to dig to get to it.

Actual Costco policy link: https://ems02071lb.egain.net/system...ZONE_OFFSET=&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=2837

Directions on how to get to it from the Costco website: http://mashbang.wordpress.com/2012/12/02/costcos-hidden-no-firearm-policy/

You can search their site all you want but will not find it without those special directions in your second link that takes you to a THIRD PARTY website. That is not in any way a binding document with a person signing up for a membership.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
You can search their site all you want but will not find it without those special directions in your second link that takes you to a THIRD PARTY website. That is not in any way a binding document with a person signing up for a membership.

I never said anything was binding or that it was easy to get to, just that it is posted if you know where to find it.

mikeyb

This statement is completely false. That's why so many take issue with their hidden policy that you will only see if you happen to be confronted while
breaking that policy.

That policy is nowhere to be found on a contract that any customer has signed. It's not even in the rules posted online.

P.S. The fact that they hide their policy is probably why they WILL issue you a refund.

emphasis to the crux of the matter.

whatever is posted online is irrelevant. what did the person sign? what language is in the actual membership contract you sign?

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
emphasis to the crux of the matter.

whatever is posted online is irrelevant. what did the person sign? what language is in the actual membership contract you sign?

They signed a piece of paper saying that Costco has the right to terminate your membership at anytime for any reason, it really is that simple.

I would like to note however, that I have yet to have a negative experience at a Costco.

Freedom1Man

I believe that the this thread is beating_a_dead_horse_by_potatoehuman-d3fead4.jpg.

If people want to bump it I understand, but the surprise I am hearing...

The biggest surprise was that my neighbor who works at Costco did not know about the no-gun for members policy.