• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CPL Class this weekend

taxwhat

imported post

custom.45acp wrote:
Hey Taxwhat,

(I am not being sarcastic; there are things that need to be change.)

Maybe you can write a “must read column (or post it) for all those interested in obtaining their CPL” prior to them taking their unqualified class so they don’t get tangled in the woven web. This, of course, would have a detailed set of questions they can ask the instructor and that would keep law-abiding citizens from getting trapped by those nasty people not doing their jobs correctly.

Maybe, just maybe, the law should read with a little leniency. Just maybe, one instructor CAN teach 4 individuals with prior firearms experience in 5 hours total time. Maybe, (a state regulated) proficiency test prior to the class for the attendees (in the classroom, of course, don’t want cheaters to win at this too) and then the time can be attributed to the one’s knowledge. To me, and this is only my opinion, a competency should be required! Some people cannot spend less than 30 days on this topic and still have the same knowledge as some that have taken an 8-HOUR MANDATED CLASS. Time means nothing, nothing at all – it’s the knowledge and understanding of the information provided to them that is the absolute most important part.

I have friend that have attended classes that have allowed them to use a Ruger Mark type pistol for their choice of weapon for qualification, is this right? Heck NO! Both carry revolvers, one a .38 and the other .357 (with magnum loaded.)

Another important factor, NO ONE CARRIES GUN IN HAND! Part of the course should entail, drawing from a holster, concealed or open, but most definitely from a holster. This is one factor of the class that I took that scared the crap out of me. I’ve shot for many years prior to the class but have never drawn a gun from a holster. I was afraid of shooting my foot off, but with many (more than 3) hours of practice I can even do it on the run.

Let’s not worry about the minuscule things such as time limits but the actual course descriptions and literature provided to the (soon-to-be) newly trained CPL holders. I would be more afraid of the individual standing next during a robbery watching him get blown away because he had never once tried to un-holster his weapon before the fatal instant.

If we could change the outline of a CPL course, what would it be? (Write your questions in this post, please.)

Custom.45acp
Safety safety safety Did I say SAFETY ! Next Never asumeunloaded ! Then Never Dry fire at wall Clock with live Ammo ! See Rule one !Then read rule two ! Read ,Understand ,NO Reset , No Replay ,No NO no , Practice ,Practice , Practice,Be Aware ,Be Boy SCOUT Ready ! Read rule one and two !Know LAW and HELP change same to make it WORK !Make Government do their Job ! ""We the People"" Accidental Discharge is = Not a Accident !RULE three Keep your finger off trigger until you wish to squeeze one or two off [ the word pull does Not exist]!Speaking of words Weapon ,Clip and pull the trigger do not exist !Never fan { Point , wave } firearm ! Rule one ,two .three Now four Know your limits ! Gun ? target and Beyond ? Ammo ? Know when to run ,duck,cover,reload ,clear jam,call 911,etc Oh and How to Avoid !

custom.45acp

imported post

taxwhat wrote:
Safety safety safety Did I say SAFETY ! Next Never unloaded ! Then Never Dry fire at wall Clock with live Ammo ! See Rule one !Then read rule two ! Read ,Understand ,NO Reset , No Replay ,No NO no , Practice ,Practice , Practice,Be Aware ,Be Boy SCOUT Ready ! Read rule one and two !Know LAW and HELP change same to make it WORK !Make Government do their Job ! ""We the People"" Accidental Discharge is = Not a Accident !RULE three Keep your finger off trigger until you with to squeeze one or two off [ the word pull does Not exist]!Speaking of words weapon, Clip and pull the trigger do not exist !Never fan { Point , wave } firearm ! Rule one ,two .three Now four Know your limits ! Gun ? target and Beyond ? Ammo ? Know when to run ,duck,cover,reload ,clear jam,call 911,etc Oh and How to Avoid !

Firearm: a weapon from which a shot is discharged by gunpowder —usually used of small arms.

Idon't know these people personally,Merriam-Webster, but I think they're pretty reputable when defining words. If my verbiage is incorrect, maybe that should be taken up in another blog, such as writing - I don't think that's the point of this post but thanks anyways.

taxwhat

imported post

custom.45acp wrote:
taxwhat wrote:
Safety safety safety Did I say SAFETY ! Next Never asume unloaded ! Then Never Dry fire at wall Clock with live Ammo ! See Rule one !Then read rule two ! Read ,Understand ,NO Reset , No Replay ,No NO no , Practice ,Practice , Practice,Be Aware ,Be Boy SCOUT Ready ! Read rule one and two !Know LAW and HELP change same to make it WORK !Make Government do their Job ! ""We the People"" Accidental Discharge is = Not a Accident !RULE three Keep your finger off trigger until you wish to squeeze one or two off [ the word pull does Not exist]!Speaking of words weapon, Clip and pull the trigger do not exist !Never fan { Point , wave } firearm ! Rule one ,two .three Now four Know your limits ! Gun ? target and Beyond ? Ammo ? Know when to run ,duck,cover,reload ,clear jam,call 911,etc Oh and How to Avoid !

Firearm: a weapon from which a shot is discharged by gunpowder —usually used of small arms.

Idon't know these people personally,Merriam-Webster, but I think they're pretty reputable when defining words. If my verbiage is incorrect, maybe that should be taken up in another blog, such as writing - I don't think that's the point of this post but thanks anyways.
Please show me [ us] Where it says right to bear Weapon ! ? 2a or Mi Constitution 1963 as amended . Is not a baseball bat a weapon , or hammer ,or shovel IF used as one ? Bad Guys use Weapons Good Guys use necessary force [action] ! Good people Defend themselves , Bad Guys attack with weapons !

taxwhat

imported post

weap·on (wpn)
n.
1. An instrument of attack or defense in combat, as a gun, missile, or sword.
2. Zoology A part or organ, such as a claw or stinger, used by an animal in attack or defense.
3. A means used to defend against or defeat another: Logic was her weapon.
tr.v. weap·oned, weap·on·ing, weap·ons
To supply with weapons or a weapon; arm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Middle English wepen, from Old English wpen.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
weapon
Noun
1. an object used in fighting, such as a knife or gun
2. anything used to get the better of an opponent: having a sense of humour is a weapon of self-defence [Old English wǣpen]
Collins Essential English Dictionary 2nd Edition 2006 © HarperCollins Publishers 2004, 2006

ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
Noun 1. weapon - any instrument or instrumentality used in fighting or hunting; "he was licensed to carry a weapon"
weapon system, arm
bow - a weapon for shooting arrows, composed of a curved piece of resilient wood with a taut cord to propel the arrow
bow and arrow - a weapon consisting of arrows and the bow to shoot them
brass knuckles, brass knucks, knuckle duster, knuckles, knucks - a small metal weapon; worn over the knuckles on the back of the hand
fire ship - a weapon consisting of a ship carrying explosives that is set adrift to destroy enemy ships
flamethrower - a weapon that squirts ignited fuel for several yards
gun - a weapon that discharges a missile at high velocity (especially from a metal tube or barrel)
instrument - a device that requires skill for proper use
knife - a weapon with a handle and blade with a sharp point
light arm - a rifle or pistol
missile - a rocket carrying a warhead of conventional or nuclear explosives; may be ballistic or directed by remote control
pike - medieval weapon consisting of a spearhead attached to a long pole or pikestaff; superseded by the bayonet
projectile, missile - a weapon that is forcibly thrown or projected at a targets but is not self-propelled
slasher - a weapon (a sword or dagger) used for slashing
sling - a simple weapon consisting of a looped strap in which a projectile is whirled and then released
lance, spear, shaft - a long pointed rod used as a tool or weapon
stun baton, stun gun - a weapon designed to disable a victim temporarily by delivering a nonlethal high-voltage electric shock
sword, steel, blade, brand - a cutting or thrusting weapon that has a long metal blade and a hilt with a hand guard
hatchet, tomahawk - weapon consisting of a fighting ax; used by North American Indians
W.M.D., weapon of mass destruction, WMD - a weapon that kills or injures civilian as well as military personnel (nuclear and chemical and biological weapons)
arms, implements of war, munition, weaponry, weapons system - weapons considered collectively
Greek fire - a mixture used by Byzantine Greeks that was often shot at adversaries; catches fire when wetted
2. weapon - a means of persuading or arguing; "he used all his conversational weapons"
artillery
persuasion, suasion - the act of persuading (or attempting to persuade); communication intended to induce belief or action

Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2008 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
weapon
5 entries found.

1weapon (noun)
2weapon (transitive verb)
assault weapon
biological weapon
chemical weapon

Sponsored Links
Ninja Weapons
Shop Ninja Weapons & Accessories In Our Catalog. Get The Edge!
BudK.com/NinjaWeapons

Main Entry:
1weap·on
Pronunciation:
\ˈwe-pən\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Middle English wepen, from Old English wǣpen; akin to Old High German wāffan weapon, Old Norse vāpn
Date:
before 12th century
1 : something (as a club, knife, or gun) used to injure, defeat, or destroy 2 : a means of contending against another

springerdave

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
imported post

My dictionary, referred to quite often I might add, describes arms as a weapon. Must be for bad boys. Bill of Rights 2nd Amendment refers to arms. Section 6 of Michigan Constitution refers to arms. Bill of Rights 1st Amendment makes it clear that I may use either term. Thank you in advance for your rebuttal.springerdave.

p.s. didn't look real hard but the NRA Guide to the Basics had at least one reference to a weapon, so they have spoken the word too. Even though they went out of their way not to use the term.

taxwhat

imported post

springerdave wrote:
My dictionary, referred to quite often I might add, describes arms as a weapon. Must be for bad boys. Bill of Rights 2nd Amendment refers to arms. Section 6 of Michigan Constitution refers to arms. Bill of Rights 1st Amendment makes it clear that I may use either term. Thank you in advance for your rebuttal.springerdave.

p.s. didn't look real hard but the NRA Guide to the Basics had at least one reference to a weapon, so they have spoken the word too. Even though they went out of their way not to use the term.
You may call it your [ Hog leg , equalizer ,problem solver ,I don't dial 911 I use my 357 ] and you will be labeled as very knowledgeable !You will get many Laws changed or made to protect all !

custom.45acp

imported post

Out of a little over 400 words that I wrote, you're biggest complaint is that I used weapon as opposed to firearm, sidearm, handgun, etc., am I reading into this correctly, even though the majority of this particular post is about the CPL classes?

Please extract your claws from me and place them back into the CPL instructors!

As noted, 1st amendment, gives me the freedom of speech, writing or speaking the words as I see fit. I did not quote the second amendment 'right to bear weapons' so don't imply that I did. If you want to go to that extreme, does 'right to bear arms' mean that I should go sleeveless? Are there more than one meaning or definition for the word 'arms'?

Can we please go back to the original topic? Or, would you prefer to debate every meaning of every word that I wrote? Please do not dictate what wordsthat I can or cannot write; they were notinappropriate andI don't believe this is a communist site.

As quoted from the manager of Dick's "HAVE A NICE DAY!"

PS: Don't read into any more than it means - have a nice day!

Custom.45acp

taxwhat

imported post

custom.45acp wrote:
Out of a little over 400 words that I wrote, you're biggest complaint is that I used weapon as opposed to firearm, sidearm, handgun, etc., am I reading into this correctly, even though the majority of this particular post is about the CPL classes?

Please extract your claws from me and place them back into the CPL instructors!

As noted, 1st amendment, gives me the freedom of speech, writing or speaking the words as I see fit. I did not quote the second amendment 'right to bear weapons' so don't imply that I did. If you want to go to that extreme, does 'right to bear arms' mean that I should go sleeveless? Are there more than one meaning or definition for the word 'arms'?

Can we please go back to the original topic? Or, would you prefer to debate every meaning of every word that I wrote? Please do not dictate what wordsthat I can or cannot write; they were notinappropriate andI don't believe this is a communist site.

As quoted from the manager of Dick's "HAVE A NICE DAY!"

PS: Don't read into any more than it means - have a nice day!

Custom.45acp
Please get a grip I am pro gun but if you chose to be upset with me try a anti ! Let me be clear Never complained about you or your comments or about Jack ! I gave IMHO :What I felt needed to be taught ! You brought up definition that was IMO :narrow and any anti would of ate you for lunch ! In Dearborn Michigan in the police officer's Hat ""have a nice day "":was imprinted on the inside rim .On the marked police vehicles same ,upon issuing citation the officer was to say "have a nice day "Failure to do so time off no pay !Please Remember with World Wide Web more than you and I read posts ? You may do anything you wish anytime you want but there is always a price ! Ask any veteran .