• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CPL - Island County - Help!

END_THE_FED

.......I would like to be able to carry in my vehicle and I am being kept from it.........

Just to clarify.
You can still carry in your vehicle absent a permit.
RCW 9.41.050 restricts the carry of a loaded pistol in a vehicle.
You can still carry in your car as long as it is unloaded, and not concealed on your person.

bmg50cal

It's less of an issue now that I have my CPL, picked it up yesterday and drove straight to Office Max and paid $1.19 to get it laminated. I figure if I make official complaint I'll be viewed in a light that would paint me a troublemaker.

My father called before I left to pick mine up and his was still not ready. He calls BS but isn't upset enough to do anything besides call them every few days and make them burn a calorie picking up the phone.

It's 36 days and counting. Go Island County!

I think a here 'Yakety Sax' by James Q. "Spider" Rich playing in the background. When I think about this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnHmskwqCCQ

bmg50cal

Update on my father's CPL

My father has still yet to receive his CPL. They have not denied him either, there isn't any reason they can. The only thing that would have been a problem was expunged a very long time ago and he has the papers with the watermarks and nice shiny gold seal to prove it.

It has been 57 calendar days since he applied, he is a resident and the law allows the issuing authority 30 days. The former expunged blip on his record should not be a cause for them taking this long. :cuss:

I'm "concerned" about this situation for my father's sake.

joeroket

My father has still yet to receive his CPL. They have not denied him either, there isn't any reason they can. The only thing that would have been a problem was expunged a very long time ago and he has the papers with the watermarks and nice shiny gold seal to prove it.

It has been 57 calendar days since he applied, he is a resident and the law allows the issuing authority 30 days. The former expunged blip on his record should not be a cause for them taking this long. :cuss:

I'm "concerned" about this situation for my father's sake.
The law does not allow them to issue it. The law requires them to issue it on the 30th day if there is nothing found by that time to disqualify him. He needs to point this out to the sheriff and let him know that his office is in violation of the law.

Last edited:

bmg50cal

The law does not allow them to issue it. The law requires them to issue it on the 30th day if there is nothing found by that time to disqualify him. He needs to point this out to the sheriff and let him know that his office is in violation of the law.

If the thread were read in it's entirety one would know that I already have knowledge of this. ;)

I sent the Sheriff an email just moments ago. An expedient response, a timely issuance (relative to today) and an apology to my father will settle it in my book. I do not want to have to take it any further than necessary.

I am not a lawyer by any means but I'm an INTJ. :cool:

bmg50cal

Does it specifically state gun rights are restored?

"all rights"

I just got a reply from their office. :shocker:

Dear Mr. insert name

Re: insert name

I was asked by Sheriff Brown to look into the CPL Request. I do see where my clerks has sent a letter stating we were waiting for verification on Mr. insert name’s civil rights being restored as the paperwork we received was not readable.
I see now that we can issue this CPL and it will be ready for pick up after 10:00 AM tomorrow, February 17, 2011.
I am sorry for any inconvenience.

Thank you,
Wylie Farr
Chief Civil Deputy

To: Sheriff Mark C. Brown
Subject: CPL Issuance
Regarding: CPL Applicant insert name

Mr. insert name of insert street address, a Washington resident applied for his Washington Concealed Pistol License on Dec, 19th 2010 at the Island County Sheriff Office North Whidbey location.

Mr. insert name is a Washington resident as such 30 days (RCW 9.41.070) are allowed to the issuing authority to issue a license. Mr. insert name has yet to receive his permit nor has he received notice of denial. It has now been fifty-eight (58) calendar days since the date of application.

Contact has been made with the clerk multiple times with no results. Resolution is sought regarding this matter, please advise.

Revised Code of Washington 9.41.070 - http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.070

"(1) The chief of police of a municipality or the sheriff of a county shall within thirty days after the filing of an application of any person, issue a license to such person to carry a pistol concealed on his or her person within this state for five years from date of issue, for the purposes of protection or while engaged in business, sport, or while traveling. However, if the applicant does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the issuing authority shall have up to sixty days after the filing of the application to issue a license. The issuing authority shall not refuse to accept completed applications for concealed pistol licenses during regular business hours."

"The applicant's constitutional right to bear arms shall not be denied"

This result pleases my father and appeases my sense of justice. :cool:

sudden valley gunner

If the thread were read in it's entirety one would know that I already have knowledge of this. ;)

I sent the Sheriff an email just moments ago. An expedient response, a timely issuance (relative to today) and an apology to my father will settle it in my book. I do not want to have to take it any further than necessary.

I am not a lawyer by any means but I'm an INTJ. :cool:

Why not take it further how many time have you wished for leniency and it was denied, for "breaking the law". Nope officer just decides to write you up anyway. So why should they be able to get away with breaking the law?