• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Crime free society

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Slayer of Paper wrote:
On a completely different subject: Why does my Firefox spell check not work on this forum?
Mine didn't work either in FF 2.x. Since I upgraded to FF 3.0 and updated the dictionary it works pretty well in the posting window.

Decoligny

imported post

Orygunner wrote:
Decoligny wrote:
"by getting rid of all weapons" is a very broad requirement.

Just looking at my desk, here is a short list of the weapons that I have within reach

Computer Wires - Garrote

Pens & Pencils - Stabbing

Letter Opener - Stabbing

X-acto knife - Slicing

Razor Blade - Slicing

Coffee Mug - Bludgeon

Glue remover - Poison

Power Cords - Electricution

My Brain - Used to devise weapons from anything close at hand, or to use my body itself as a weapon.

Well, aren't you just a regular Jason Bourne? :lol:

...Sorry, don't kill me...It was a JOKE! *Schunk* *Thud!*...
...O...O...o........

20+ Years active duty military. During a couple of them there are actually a few things I'm not allowed totell anyoneabout. :shock: :cool:

However, everyone should always be aware of all the potential defensive devices available to them. Usually within 3 feet of a person there are at least half a dozen items that can be used as improvised weapons.

hellfogg

imported post

Okay, so I know this is an old discussion, however I'm new to the site and found this question very interesting.

AWDstylez wrote:
If a 100% crime and tyrannyfree society could be created by eliminating all weapons, would you willingly give up your guns?
This is extremely painful and difficult for me to admit, but I would probably turn over the guns. Life is about much more than just shooting guns. It would actually allow me to go out and find another hobby to enjoy, and would stop me from thinking about guns all the time.

Also, if an anti-gun nut comes up to you and ask a question like this, shouldn't we just respond with:

If a 100% crime and tyranny free society could be created by everyone carrying weapons, would you be willing to carry a gun?

Once again, this is just purely hypothetical. Just a simple thought, great discussion though!

r6-rider

imported post

Besides guns being a tool for defense they are also fun to shoot, so no even if there was no crime in this world i still would not give up my guns

compmanio365

imported post

r6-rider wrote:
Besides guns being a tool for defense they are also fun to shoot, so no even if there was no crime in this world i still would not give up my guns
+1, my guns are not only for self defense, and defense against tyranny, but they are also a pastime and hobby as well. Even if theoretically we could somehow promise no crime and freedom for all, forever, I would still keep around my guns for fun.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

hellfogg wrote:
Okay, so I know this is an old discussion, however I'm new to the site and found this question very interesting.

AWDstylez wrote:
If a 100% crime and tyrannyfree society could be created by eliminating all weapons, would you willingly give up your guns?
This is extremely painful and difficult for me to admit, but I would probably turn over the guns. Life is about much more than just shooting guns. It would actually allow me to go out and find another hobby to enjoy, and would stop me from thinking about guns all the time.

Also, if an anti-gun nut comes up to you and ask a question like this, shouldn't we just respond with:

If a 100% crime and tyranny free society could be created by everyone carrying weapons, would you be willing to carry a gun?

Once again, this is just purely hypothetical. Just a simple thought, great discussion though!

Wow, amazing. I like you already, new guy. You actually comprehended the idea behind what I was asking, and had a logical response.

And, yes, that would be a good counter question.

Gordie

imported post

hellfogg wrote:

AWDstylez wrote:

Outstanding logic hellfogg, I will remember that line and use it myself.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

"
No! Even in such a utopia... there's still the wild critters (rattlesnakes, mountain lions, wolves, bears, coyotes, bobcat, fox, javelina, feral this 'n that'n others) that upon occasion and mood would wish to make me dinner or defend their turf. Then there are the varmints (rodents mostly) that need whackin' as pests. Not to mention the various 'n sundry critters affected by rabies that are out 'n about.

Then... there's what's for 'dinner' critters of all types.

The very nature of the question indicates this was written by an uber-urbanitetype prone to think within' their own little paved box.

Sheepdawg

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
"
No! Even in such a utopia... there's still the wild critters (rattlesnakes, mountain lions, wolves, bears, coyotes, bobcat, fox, javelina, feral this 'n that'n others) that upon occasion and mood would wish to make me dinner or defend their turf. Then there are the varmints (rodents mostly) that need whackin' as pests. Not to mention the various 'n sundry critters affected by rabies that are out 'n about.

Then... there's what's for 'dinner' critters of all types.

The very nature of the question indicates this was written by an uber-urbanitetype prone to think within' their own little paved box.

I would also like to add the sentimental value of certain firearms. Do you think I'm going to give up my grandad's shotgun, that he passed down to my dad who thenpassed it down to me? absolutly not.

demnogis

imported post

I would not give up my firearm(s). Assuming this truly (hypothetical) utopian world existed, I would still need to hunt and defend myself and others from the non-humans in the world.

Say, zombies.

We need a zombie :bwains: emote.

truck2201

imported post

hellfogg wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:

If an anti-gun nut comes up to you and ask a question like this, shouldn't we just respond with:

There it is in a nutshell.

Ask any person who is passionate about something if they are willing to give up that passion for the " Common Good ", it could be sex, driving, golfing, ect..... and if they do not say yes, then that person is clearly " not on the road to enlightenment " as defined by the person who asked the question.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

It's not only the zombies... there's lycan's, vampires, gargoyles, shape-shifters... :shock: and 'round here... the 'Old Ones' :what:...

plus the frequent 'alien encounter' in the desert. :uhoh:

Sonora Rebel

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Alexcabbie wrote:
THOSE WHO BEAT THEIR SWORDS INTO PLOWSHARES WILL FIND THEMSELVES DOING THE PLOWING FOR THOSE WHO DID NOT -

Benjamin Franklin

Sic Semper Tyrannis

That was not said by Franklin, nor was it said by Jefferson as widely believed.

http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=5&nav=messages&webtag=ab-urbanlegends&tid=9265

'Really don't matter who said it. 'Don't have to be famous (or infamous) to be astute.

I coined: "Some people have been educated beyond reasonable usefulness" while working for JHU/APL over 20 years ago. Unfortunately thiscondition now permeates the entire US Government and a goodly percentage of the electorate.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Back on topic.

No. I would not give up my firearms, as it is my view that the presence of firearms and the lack of a Utopian society are not serially related or mutually exclusive.

In any theoretical Utopian society people would presumably be allowed to pursue any peaceful purpose that they might enjoy so long as it did not hurt anyone else otherwise it would not be Utopian. I happen to enjoy the personal challenge of putting two bullets through the same hole at great distances, with both rifles and handguns, and I enjoy the mechanical precision of well made firearms from an aesthetics point of view.

The fact that a firearm may also be used conveniently by an individual for self defense has nothing to do with my basic interest in the technology or its application to peaceful purposes. I carry a firearm for self defense because it is easier than any other method. In this Utopian society, I might not carry a firearm around all day because presumable I would not need it (I am presuming the snakes, bears, lions and such are also on board with the theoretical utopia) My shooting at targets is not harmful to others, and in a Utopian setting I would still enjoy the shooting sports.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

No, shooting guns is fun. Also, even without crime or other human threats there are animals that attack people, and that is a good reason to be armed.

darthmord

imported post

There are other non self-defense (against human aggression) purposes a firearm may be used for.

As such, no I would not.

Humanity is a tool using species. Tools can be Weapons. Weapons are not necessarily Tools.