• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Criminal pulls starter pistol- Store Clerk pulls real gun.

Hombre

Banned
imported post

I really hope that people here don't seriously think they can shoot a fleeing felon in Michigan and everything will be just fine. But, hey....what do I know?:uhoh:

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hombre1 wrote:
I really hope that people here don't seriously think they can shoot a fleeing felon in Michigan and everything will be just fine.  But, hey....what do I know?:uhoh:
If they present a danger to the public, common law says it's ok - but you're still going to go to court over it if you nab the guy.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Essentially - if you see a guy driving off in a M-35 mafia truck from the Ft. Custer military base - he's technically "fleeing", but poses a major threat to the public, as he's got 2-3 .50 cal machine guns on the back of it.

No one's going to complain if you snipe him as he heads downtown battle creek.

Point being: You'd better have a clear case that he's a danger to others as he's fleeing, else you'll end up in jail for awhile.

mikestilly

imported post

Hombre1 wrote:
Being accused of violating someones rights (a fact generally determined only by a court and open to interpretation especially on this forum which has proven to be anti-police) does not equate to armed robbery. So, in the context that you are trying to pigeon hole me into saying my answer would be a resounding "no".

You got it all wrong. Thats for sure. Most people on here and most have a good rapport with LEOs. You sir are the problem and als dont represent all LEOs event if you are one which I doubt.

People here are anti-ass. You sir proven yourself early on to be an ass and made many nasty comments both here and that 4x4 forum and possibly many other sites. So before you labeling people on this site you should rethink you faulty strategy. The fact that you're here posting only because you evaded ban says a lot. You've lost all credibility and have may suckered some gullibles but most of us see through your BS. Right up there with your Granada and other lies.

Leader

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
Hombre1 wrote:
I really hope that people here don't seriously think they can shoot a fleeing felon in Michigan and everything will be just fine. But, hey....what do I know?:uhoh:
If they present a danger to the public, common law says it's ok - but you're still going to go to court over it if you nab the guy.

Is that kind of like if you open carry a firearm you'll go to jail!!!!!!

Seems to me we heard that alot from cops and other experts here in the past.

Just because there is NO law against it doesn';t matter to some.

springerdave

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
UCWT wrote:
Bailenforcer wrote:
UCWT wrote:
on the topic of shooting a fleeing felon....

wasn't there a case in west michigan or lansing area where the guy stole a high end watch and the owner shot at him while he fled?

can't recall much or find anything on it.
running away as unarmed with watch doesn't seem to rise to a threat to ones life. But I think the laws need to be changed to protect the victims not the felons.

like i said i can't recall all of it.

think he was armed and the watch was crazy expensive. robber stole watch fled and the owner shot at him in a busy downtown setting.

ring any bells for any one? i want to say it was like 4 or so years ago.
In Michigan this would be a crime for a larceny of less than $20Kfor a first offense/conviction. Equal to and greater than $20K, for a first offense/conviction lands the person with a felony. With two or more and any subsequent offense/conviction of $1k to $20k would be a felony. If it was a Rolex then maybe...
Wouldn't the armed part make it a felony?springerdave.