• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Crippled deer in my yard

stickbow95

I know they are protected but if I see a wolf stalking my kids I'm gonna shoot it... bury it in the yard and never mention it to anyone.

Maybe not a good idea. Many of the wolves have a transmitter implanted. After they die it transmits a signal that allows the authorities to locate the animal... This would lead them to your yard.:eek:

However, as I have five young children, I agree with your reasoning. Employ the "three S's". Just be careful about where you perform the second "S". And as Yote says, perform the last "S" with extreme diligence.

Lurchiron

Carry the pistol.

I wouldnt carry the rifle. Too easy for someone to say your "hunting" illegally.

Otherwise pick up a small game license and carry the rifle.
Then you can claim your yote hunting.

Yote hunting doesnt have restricted hours or a weapon restriction.
So be sure to camo up....and carry a couple of small cheap calls.
You dont want to look like a deer hunter.

The only time yote "season" closes is over the deer seasons in the Northern Counties
so be sure to pick up some regs to see where your County falls and what restrictions apply.

Yote hunting is very challenging. I do quite abit of it and enjoy it to the point ya might say I live for it.

Wolf is a kinda sensitive topic for me.
I see them as a beautiful animal. One of natures most efficient predators that has a place in the order of things.

But when a pack of three or four attack a 3 or 4 thousand dollar bear dog some things have outlived their usefulness and I will declare myself on the bear dogs side.
No thought process involved.
The 3 S's work....And Work well but only if the last "S" is used with extreme diligence.

For the most part Wi. Blackies arent all that aggressive and wont usually be a problem.They are more afraid of you than you are of them.
Gettin in between Mama and Cubs breaks all the rules and your on your own there.

Bear noses are extremely good.They can smell things very well. Your not gonna trick them much with cover scents and sprays. Avoid the use of apple scent.Something with a fruity sweet smell will act as an attractant so pay a little attention to things like what shampoo you use.If your carrying a pack and a lunch use ziplock bags.

LR Yote

Hey Yote;

Is that second pic, one of those Crocodile Dundee moves; that puts the little beasties' to sleepy-time???:cool: Looks kinda like a Vulcan mind-meld...:shocker:

Last edited:

safcrkr

I agree with the deputy. A 3 legged deer will do just fine. I've seen plenty of them while hunting. And if it does become wolf or coyote food, well that's just another deer that will keep the predators from eating a healthy deer instead. Vilas County has a protocal for shooting deer... they use a shotgun, not their sidearm.

If you're going to carry a rifle in your woods walks, buy a small game license. The warden in the E.R. area WILL give you a citation for "hunting" if you carry a rifle and have no license, unless you're obviously just target shooting. A .45 pistol should be more than adequate.

Just so you know... if you do your hiking in the Black Jack and park on hwy 70 just before Military Road, there are a LOT of bears in that area. We hunted bear there last year, in that very area, and within the first two weeks of baiting, we had 7 adults and 3 cubs show up. We had 2 trail-cams up, and I got over 1,700!! videos and stills. They kept coming everyday, until my partner shot the biggest (425lbs) on the 1st day of the season (Sept. 8th). They're not normally aggressive, but we DID have one young male (we nick-named him "Pyscho") that had NO fear of us. He chased me out of the woods more than once when I was baiting (which I did everyday from July 15th 'til Sept. 8th).. The larger bears would run like hell when I encountered them, but that little pyscho would run toward me. I started carrying a .44 MAG Dan Wesson revolver just because of him.

As for yotes... I live a few miles east of E.R., and I see them in my yard all the time... some survive, some don't. I hunt them in the same area of the Nicolet, amongst other places, and I use an AR15 and electronic caller/decoys. You do "legally" need a small game license to shoot one, unless it's on YOUR property, then no license is needed. If you do shoot one, and don''t know what to do with it, just bring it over to Mark at Frontier taxidermy on hwy 70 just west of E.R. He won't pay you for it unless you skin it, but he'll take it and deal with it... no point in wasting it.

LR Yote 312

Hey Yote;

Is that second pic, one of those Crocodile Dundee moves; that puts the little beasties' to sleepy-time???:cool: Looks kinda like a Vulcan mind-meld...:shocker:

Lurch,
:D:D That was a Ninja Yote !!!

The Hornady 165gr BTSP did a better job with nap time than I expected.
That critter was my first unsatisfied customer with my home made ammo.

If you look close by the thumb of my hand you will see were I cured its tummy ache
with a headache.
That particular beastie had a taste for domestic turkey,and ate my Thanksgiving Dinner.

The farmer who owns the land that yote came from had 20 birds that were scheduled to go in for dressing if they had lived another 2 weeks.He was reduced to 3 birds and was very happy with my 200yrd headshot.

I was a :monkey:monkey. but also :banghead:. Light wind and rain and spent 45mins lookin for it. I heard the slam of the bullet but couldnt see it drop.When the bullet hit the yote everything got foggy as it knocked the water off its coat.

One second it was there ...Poof...and it was gone. I could see everything around it but the very area it was standing.

When that pic was taken I was making sure it wouldnt use anymore of the Ninja powder and try and disappear again.

LR Yote

usamarshal

Thanks for the quick reply, appreciate it. Called Vilas County Sheriff. One of their guys came out, nice guy. Since the deer could get up and "run" he said it would actually be fine and no need to shoot it. He said the leg will eventually fall off and that the deer would be ok. I had no idea... learned something.

Jesus Christ

xd40arff

Well I learned something new in this thread. I have never seen a 3 legged deer, but hey thats cool that they can survive an injury like that. I just figured that major of a wound would be a death sentence for bambi.

1FASTC4

If you're going to carry a rifle in your woods walks, buy a small game license. The warden in the E.R. area WILL give you a citation for "hunting" if you carry a rifle and have no license, unless you're obviously just target shooting. A .45 pistol should be more than adequate.

Just so you know... if you do your hiking in the Black Jack and park on hwy 70 just before Military Road, there are a LOT of bears in that area. We hunted bear there last year, in that very area, and within the first two weeks of baiting, we had 7 adults and 3 cubs show up. We had 2 trail-cams up, and I got over 1,700!! videos and stills. They kept coming everyday, until my partner shot the biggest (425lbs) on the 1st day of the season (Sept. 8th). They're not normally aggressive, but we DID have one young male (we nick-named him "Pyscho") that had NO fear of us. He chased me out of the woods more than once when I was baiting (which I did everyday from July 15th 'til Sept. 8th).. The larger bears would run like hell when I encountered them, but that little pyscho would run toward me. I started carrying a .44 MAG Dan Wesson revolver just because of him.

As for yotes... I live a few miles east of E.R., and I see them in my yard all the time... some survive, some don't. I hunt them in the same area of the Nicolet, amongst other places, and I use an AR15 and electronic caller/decoys. You do "legally" need a small game license to shoot one, unless it's on YOUR property, then no license is needed. If you do shoot one, and don''t know what to do with it, just bring it over to Mark at Frontier taxidermy on hwy 70 just west of E.R. He won't pay you for it unless you skin it, but he'll take it and deal with it... no point in wasting it.

I have been out in that very area three times in the last 2 weeks. Once by Vista Lake, once by Whispering Lake and once on just off Old Fire Tower Rd, which is a short road off of Military. I lingered too long a couple of times and ended up in the woods after sunset. I didn't see any predators though. Maybe too early in the season... maybe lucky?