• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cuccinelli short-circuits proposed abortion regs -- implications for campus carry

Repeater

If the critical statute were amended so that state-supported universities were required to undergo the same strict scrutiny, you would have this:

Next step on abortion clinic rules up to board of health
Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli's decision to not certify new regulations governing abortion clinics in Virginia has sparked protest from opponents but, as his office noted Monday, he does not have the final say.

Under the Code of Virginia, the governor adopts and publishes procedures for review of all proposed regulations. The process includes a review by the attorney general's office to weigh in on whether there is statutory authority for the regulations.

Because Cuccinelli's office did not certify the proposed regulations, the regulations go back to the Board of Health for additional action.

"We will await the board's next actions based on the attorney general's analysis and the law as passed last year," Tucker Martin, a spokesman for Gov. Bob McDonnell, said Tuesday.

Under state law, attorneys general in Virginia routinely weigh in on proposed regulations, whether they govern trash barges, alcohol billboards, adoption, autism or abortion.

It needs to say:
Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli's decision to not certify new regulations governing guns on campus at Virginia Tech has sparked protest from opponents but, as his office noted Monday, he does not have the final say.

Under the Code of Virginia, the governor adopts and publishes procedures for review of all proposed regulations. The process includes a review by the attorney general's office to weigh in on whether there is statutory authority for the regulations.

Because Cuccinelli's office did not certify the proposed regulations, the regulations go back to the Board of Visitors for additional action.

"We will await the board's next actions based on the attorney general's analysis and the law as passed last year," Tucker Martin, a spokesman for Gov. Bob McDonnell, said Tuesday.

Under state law, attorneys general in Virginia routinely weigh in on proposed regulations, whether they govern trash barges, weapons on college campuses, alcohol billboards, adoption, autism or abortion.

Now, can the General Assembly make it happen?

Oh, and take a look at he the comments. They overlook authority and the law and instead make "Taliban" comments on Cuccinelli's motives.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Poor Ken! Based on my last job with the Dept of Corrections, I know how much of a biotch it can be to tell someone that their policy does not comply with existing law - especially when they really, really want to do something even though it would be violating existing law. From the meager info provided in the article the policy does not comply with what's written in the Code of Virginia. I see two choices - change the policy to comply with the Code or change the Code to comply with the policy.

Instead, we will see public opinion whipped up on both sides of the question, and darned near everybody taking sides based on which side of the question they are on as opposed to how the dilema can be resolved through established procedure.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Poor Ken! Based on my last job with the Dept of Corrections, I know how much of a biotch it can be to tell someone that their policy does not comply with existing law - especially when they really, really want to do something even though it would be violating existing law. From the meager info provided in the article the policy does not comply with what's written in the Code of Virginia. I see two choices - change the policy to comply with the Code or change the Code to comply with the policy.

Instead, we will see public opinion whipped up on both sides of the question, and darned near everybody taking sides based on which side of the question they are on as opposed to how the dilema can be resolved through established procedure.

stay safe.

That's what I like about Cuccinelli. He sticks with the legal side, not the we wanna, side.:lol: