• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dash/Windshield Mounted Video Cameras and State Laws

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Don't get me wrong -- I agree with your sentiment....I'm not advocating that, just simply answering the question. :) As I said, in my situation it was very different and was personal and it was attacks upon my family and neighbors. I wouldn't waste my time on something like someone running a red light, or a thousand other stupid things we all see everyday on the roads.

I know Dan and the answer was pretty good. Complete with the Magistrate issuing a John Doe warrant until they could get drivers info......
There are a few pitfalls like personal information on the Criminal Complaint form that becomes public record, Etc.

I just knew where this was going to go though:banghead:

Kind of torqued me off that this bozo was so blatant.

Glockster

I know Dan and the answer was pretty good. Complete with the Magistrate issuing a John Doe warrant until they could get drivers info......
There are a few pitfalls like personal information on the Criminal Complaint form that becomes public record, Etc.

I just knew where this was going to go though:banghead:

That's true, but in my cases (as would be I believe in the OPs red light situation), it isn't a criminal complaint. So you are just a witness on behalf of the Commonwealth as it is actually the Commonwealth bringing the complaint. When it moves to the docket, your name as a witness is available there...I'm honestly not sure what the rules/laws are regarding witnesses and the public record.

But again, I wouldn't advocate doing something like that in a situation like a red light runner -- not something that I would personally want or see the need to do.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Does anyone know if there will be any issues driving onto a military base with one of these dash cams?

Stop before you go through the gate and read the small-print billboard they use to list all the restrictions and conditions for entry. Many bases do not allow photography, some restrict it in certain areas.

If you want to avoid the long stop to read the sign, find the phone number for the Provost Marshal and ask for the specific regs to be sent to you.

stay safe.

scouser

perhaps it's a good thing trucks aren't equipped with missile launchers ...

.. or there would be one less compact car in South Richmond.

[video=youtube;eNqESQ2kaZ0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNqESQ2kaZ0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Something to bear in mind when viewing, the camera is using a wide angle lens and so objects appear further away than they really are. That car came over CLOSE.

How long does the battery last without plugging it in to the car?

I haven't answered you yet because I haven't run it down all the way.

I have no intention of trying to find out, because Murphy's Law suggests it would die about 2 seconds before you NEED it to be working. Better, in my opinion, to use the vehicle power all the time.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
.. or there would be one less compact car in South Richmond

Something to bear in mind when viewing, the camera is using a wide angle lens and so objects appear further away than they really are. That car came over CLOSE.
--snip--

There is no extra charge for simple stupidity :uhoh:

ocholsteroc

It's on its way. I will have mine this weekend. Reviews are mixed, I hope it's okay, the video people post looks decent, all I need to prove an idiot ran red light. There is this one intersection near my house, most of the time someone runs a red light. Nearly been hit before, a few times. Solid green, going going then slam on breaks because moron comes through.

nuc65

Activist Member
Wide angle or not

Something to bear in mind when viewing, the camera is using a wide angle lens and so objects appear further away than they really are. That car came over CLOSE

You need to angle the lens down so, or mount the cam in such a way that a foreground object is viewable if possible. The problem you will have convincing anyone of how close or far something is, is one of scale and perspective. Many people including some so called photographers don't understand perspective. Video is great for somethings but most people wouldn't believe your video shows anything to be excited over. There are a lot of really bad drivers on the road now.

OC for ME

[video=youtube;eNqESQ2kaZ0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNqESQ2kaZ0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

<snip>
The length of those white stripes is 10', the distance between the white stripes is 30'. Stopping the video at the point where the car makes contact with the white stripe(s) seems to indicate ~60' of space between the camera and the cars. ~ 3-4 car lengths.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The length of those white stripes is 10', the distance between the white stripes is 30'. Stopping the video at the point where the car makes contact with the white stripe(s) seems to indicate ~60' of space between the camera and the cars. ~ 3-4 car lengths.

Never knew that.

Presuming 60 mph, that is about .75 seconds; however, closing speed to another vehicle moving in the same direction could arguably be zero.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Never knew that.

Presuming 60 mph, that is about .75 seconds; however, closing speed to another vehicle moving in the same direction could arguably be zero.

Or a stopped vehicle .....

[video=youtube;lvGBpxTt5kk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lvGBpxTt5kk[/video]

Glockster

Or a stopped vehicle .....

[video=youtube;lvGBpxTt5kk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lvGBpxTt5kk[/video]

Wow, I thought for sure this was going to end with lots of skidding or an impact. Nice snow though (from a guy living where we're not likely to get any today/tomorrow)!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Wow, I thought for sure this was going to end with lots of skidding or an impact. Nice snow though (from a guy living where we're not likely to get any today/tomorrow)!

Plenty of them off the road. This really is a wet nasty snow

stuck_zpsb6b02153.jpg

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Just rain here in VA BH....stay safe!

You are very lucky.

Here in Richmond we have rain and idjit drivers, along with a storm water system that is still clogged from the summer. Wonderful lakes to go plowing through as I send tsunami waves over the jerks creeping along in the center lane.

stay safe.

Glockster

You are very lucky.

Here in Richmond we have rain and idjit drivers, along with a storm water system that is still clogged from the summer. Wonderful lakes to go plowing through as I send tsunami waves over the jerks creeping along in the center lane.

stay safe.

We did however have our "it's just a storm" power outage that just ended after two hours. I don't mind staying off the highways and roads with the idiots running wildly, but lack of power is another issue and almost had to dig out the generator.

But I bet there may be some great video tests of all these new cameras going on right about now!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
We did however have our "it's just a storm" power outage that just ended after two hours. I don't mind staying off the highways and roads with the idiots running wildly, but lack of power is another issue and almost had to dig out the generator.

But I bet there may be some great video tests of all these new cameras going on right about now!

I was one of the idiots, I just drive better in the snow than the rest of them:lol:
Went sight seeing and landed at Greentops who had just gotten a truck in with no customers but me.
They had a whole rack of AR's and AK's. small rifle primers and 22 long rifle ammo.

I went through the line a couple of times:uhoh: