• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Decision Overturning Bloomberg's "Big Gulp Ban" Upheld By NY Appeals Court

The Donkey

"

This photo shows the amount of sugar contained in a 7-11 Double Gulp.

You could still buy one of these under the Bloomberg NYC Gulp Ban because the regulation contained carve-outs for convenience stores, as well as for a whole lot of other interesting interests.

It often surprises people to know what they are putting in their bodies when they drink one of these suckers.

If Bloomberg got a law passed legitimately by the city council which required 7-11 to post photos like this next to their soda machines, would that be more acceptable than banning cups over 16 ounces?

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Well Hello Again Citizen!

I am not much interested in convincing you about whether or not I have a sufficient "interest in freedom" to meet your standards. Think of me as an ass or as Popeye the Sailor Man or Karl friggin' Marx or whatever turns you on -- it is boring and no real matter how you decide to classify me or anybody else. Nobody is paying attention. They pay attention when you discuss issues because you happen to be rather knowledgeable. So cut the crap.

Note to self:

At 7:44am he's too out of it to realize he's contradicting himself. Calls me boring and then demonstrates that he's antagonized--not bored--by writing "cut the crap."

However, he's still alert enough to play his public-relations games. He inserts extensively, and entirely unnecessarily, about sportsmen for (his favorite liberal) while carefully omitting all his previous promotion and support for various anti-freedom policies and candidates.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
This photo shows the amount of sugar contained in a 7-11 Double Gulp.

Gee, that's funny. I didn't realize corn syrup and hight fructose corn syrup could be made into sucrose sugar cubes.

Pssst, Donkey. Soft drink companies stopped using sugar starting back in the 1980's.

How much hype and spin is included in the other horse-droppings you post around here?

sudden valley gunner

This overturning of the soda ban is MUCH bigger than the soda ban itself. The legal concepts that got upheld here are important and if the principle by which Bloomberg et al (attempted) to justify the soda ban was UPHELD it would have dire consequences for many other freedoms that are far more important than the size of our sodas.

Bloomberg really is an awful politician and these paternalistic food laws have got to stop (shades of San Fran's happy meal ban).

This case struck a major blow for freedom imnsho, far more extensive than merely soda

I agree that the principles are larger than the ban itself, legal concepts of the judges don't often equal constitutional restraints or are based in what their legal decisions should be based on natural or common law.

I have seen decision after decision that looks like a "win" on the surface actually be part of the problem when it confirms for themselves that the ultimate authority is government and of course the mass of people have been deluded into thinking this is true.

The Donkey

Gee, that's funny. I didn't realize corn syrup and hight fructose corn syrup could be made into sucrose sugar cubes.

Pssst, Donkey. Soft drink companies stopped using sugar starting back in the 1980's.

Well yes you are in fact correct: not sugar, but sugars, which is almost the same thing:

[h=2]Considerations[/h]
  • Sucrose and high fructose corn syrup are both made from two simple sugars--glucose and fructose. They also contain the same amount of calories. But because they are made from different foods, they are processed differently in the body.

In sucrose, the glucose and fructose are chemically bonded. In corn syrup, they are blended together. The body first needs to digest and break down the sugar in the chemically formed sucrose. Since corn syrup is blended, the body does not need to digest it before it is metabolized and released into the blood stream.

[h=2]Misconceptions[/h]
  • Although both sweeteners are digested differently, they show no real significance in how the body reacts. Both are forms of empty calories that provide a burst of energy, but they do not contain any vitamins , minerals or nutritional value.

[h=2]Conclusion[/h]
  • The debate continues whether one form of sweetener is "healthier" than others. High fructose corn syrup has received a lot of attention because it is often linked to many junk foods. However, it should be noted, both are forms of sugar and should be eaten in careful moderation.
    Hidden additives are the link to obesity. American are consuming far more calories than necessary and need to be more aware what is in the actual foods. Whether it be sugar or corn syrup, it is best to eat food in its natural state and save the sweets for special occasions.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/about_5402185_sucrose-high-fructose-corn-syrup.html#ixzz2auX123hr

So, with that in mind, you can find the caloric equivalent of the amount of "sugars" in various beverages to the amount of sugar in cubes in the illustration above and others at this site:

http://www.sugarstacks.com/beverages.htm

Satisfied now, sugar?

kandi-burruss-shops-for-all-the-items-with-her-name-at-sugar-factory-inside-paris-las-vegas.jpg