• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Definition of "unloaded" firearm

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

What I don't like is that the hunting law even implies that a loaded gun in one's TRUNK would be illegal! It should be if the gun is readily accessible and it is not being carried for self-defense.

nova

imported post

This question isn't so important to me now compared to when I asked, because I no longer bring my firearm where I cannot carry it loaded.

AbNo

imported post

Chuckles wrote:
If there is no legal definition, it is open to anyone's interpretations. Heck, a year ago they were trying to figure out if "Militia" and "The People" are to be interpreted as one and the same.
http://leg1.state.va.us/000/cod/44-1.HTM

§ 44-1. Composition of militia.

The militia of the Commonwealth of Virginia shall consist of all able-bodied citizens of this Commonwealth and all other able-bodied persons resident in this Commonwealth who have declared their intention to become citizens of the United States, who are at least sixteen years of age and, except as hereinafter provided, not more than fifty-five years of age. The militia shall be divided into four classes, the National Guard, which includes the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard, the Virginia State Defense Force, the naval militia, and the unorganized militia.

(1930, p. 948; 1942, p. 642; Michie Code 1942, § 2673(1); 1944, p. 24; 1958, c. 393; 1970, c. 662; 1973, c. 401; 1976, c. 399; 1979, c. 647; 1984, c. 765; 1989, c. 414.)
Or did you mean on the federal level?

http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/10C13.txt

Code:
[quote](a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied
males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section
313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a
declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States
and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the
National Guard.
(b) The classes of the militia are - 
(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard
and the Naval Militia; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of
the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the
Naval Militia.[/quote]

Chuckles

imported post

AbNo wrote:
Chuckles wrote:
If there is no legal definition, it is open to anyone's interpretations. Heck, a year ago they were trying to figure out if "Militia" and "The People" are to be interpreted as one and the same.
http://leg1.state.va.us/000/cod/44-1.HTM

§ 44-1. Composition of militia.

The militia of the Commonwealth of Virginia shall consist of all able-bodied citizens of this Commonwealth and all other able-bodied persons resident in this Commonwealth who have declared their intention to become citizens of the United States, who are at least sixteen years of age and, except as hereinafter provided, not more than fifty-five years of age. The militia shall be divided into four classes, the National Guard, which includes the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard, the Virginia State Defense Force, the naval militia, and the unorganized militia.

(1930, p. 948; 1942, p. 642; Michie Code 1942, § 2673(1); 1944, p. 24; 1958, c. 393; 1970, c. 662; 1973, c. 401; 1976, c. 399; 1979, c. 647; 1984, c. 765; 1989, c. 414.)
Or did you mean on the federal level?

http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/10C13.txt

Code:
[quote](a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied
males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section
313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a
declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States
and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the
National Guard.
(b) The classes of the militia are - 
(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard
and the Naval Militia; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of
the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the
Naval Militia.[/quote]

No, sorry about the confusion, I was referring to DC v. Heller where the Supreme Court was trying to decide whether 2A should be an individual right.

darthmord

imported post

I don't understand why there was a question about the 2nd being an individual or collective right. 'The People' is pretty well self-explanatory. It is used in many of the amendments and throughout the Constitution. The definition of 'The People' is pretty damn clear / cut & dry.

There was no room or reason to debate the definition of that phrase. The fact they had to deliberate it is :cuss:.

Sadly, I was always taught that an unloaded firearm is one that you personally checked to be unloaded after releasing the magazine otherwise it was always loaded (from a safety perspective).

From an operational perspective, it was unloaded unless you had a round in the chamber.

I hate that the laws are such a legal jumble. Maybe we could get all the lawyers and legislators to sit down and re-write the laws (subject to public review and approval) in plain english at the 4th grade level (like newspapers are). Then it'd be much easier to understand where everyone stood. Not to mention easier to browbeat the bad lawyers and politicians into doing the right thing since they'd all be in one location... :D