• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Deputy mistakes daughter, 16, for intruder, shoots her as she snuck in through garage

scouser

Fair enough! I don't really care if he got charged or not. No matter what, the State will never punish him as much as he will punish himself. Don't read that a stating he was wise in his choice of actions, HE WASN"T!!! That said...

Question: Will the next person doing this who just happens to NOT BE AN OFF DUTY COP get the same treatment? Or will the Cops vs Citizen/Resident Double Standard seen in so many jurisdictions continue?

Do you really need an answer to that?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
On rural security, I agree with TwoSkins on this issue.

Noting additionally that; to dark adapted eyes, starlight is bright light, and only inside a building is moonlight needed for illumination.

I suspect that this rural security issue divides quite across the urban | rural lifestyle line.

Agree !

Repeater

Current News

The WaPo has some interesting paragraphs:

Loudoun deputy who accidentally shot daughter will not be charged
In a statement Wednesday, the Frederick County commonwealth’s attorney said that, after an investigation by the Frederick Sheriff’s Office, it was determined that there was “no evidence upon which to base” any criminal charges.

“The investigation revealed that at the time of the shooting, Mr. McDonald believed that his daughter had been in her room asleep for several hours. He was unaware that she had left the house approximately two hours before to meet a friend nearby,” the statement said.

“Believing that all family members were present and accounted for within the home, Mr. McDonald mistakenly believed that the person or persons attempting to enter his home through the garage represented a dangerous intrusion,” the statement said. “His subsequent use of a lawfully possessed firearm was predicated on this mistake of fact, coupled with his desire to protect his home and family.”

The phrase "lawfully possessed firearm" is curious; it's as though the reporter felt it was necessary.

Now, here is the Inside NoVa report:
She remains hospitalized.

The Frederick County Sheriff’s Office and the Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office have concluded that charges were not warranted in the case.

“Believing that all family members were present and accounted for within the home, Mr. McDonald mistakenly believed that the person or persons attempting to enter his home through the garage represented a dangerous intrusion,” according to a statement by the commonwealth's attorney's office.

McDonald Thursday remained on administrative leave pending the results of an internal Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office investigation.

So, she remains hospitalized; he remains on administrative leave.

scouser

One of the local news (and I use the term very loosely) broadcasts last night claimed the daughter was "shot dead" but how often do channel 12 actually research the drivel they spew out?

JoeSparky

Centurion
Do you really need an answer to that?

Actually, YES! The proper action would be to NOT CHARGE THE DAD when, heaven forbid, a NON-POLICE father inadvertently shoots his daughter while she is sneaking back in via the dark garage!

But, I am not holding my breath. The police and prosecutors seem to have a LONG history of the double standard evidenced in the difference of treatment between the NON-POLICE and POLICE.

DocWalker

The WaPo has some interesting paragraphs:

Loudoun deputy who accidentally shot daughter will not be charged

The phrase "lawfully possessed firearm" is curious; it's as though the reporter felt it was necessary.

Now, here is the Inside NoVa report:

So, she remains hospitalized; he remains on administrative leave.

Hmm shot your daughter and get a taxpayer paid vacation.....seems wrong to me. He should be looking for a new job that doesn't include protection of citizens. If he couldn't protect his daughter from himself how are the rest of the locals going to be protected from him? Maybe he can parnter up with the officer that shot the kid with a Wii controller.

And police wonder why people don't trust them....

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Is all "administrative leave" paid? Did it say it was paid?

Granted, I'd bet it was, but I can't say with a certainty.

OC for ME

Well, there ya go, in that jurisdiction, mere entry into a garage is considered a threat that justifies lethal force. The "precedent" has been set. :monkey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Well, there ya go, in that jurisdiction, mere entry into a garage is considered a threat that justifies lethal force. The "precedent" has been set. :monkey
While I understood the tongue-in-check, others might not.

In Va precedents are establish by decisions of a court of record = case law.