• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

detained in a TN State Park for 2.5 hours nearly arrested because cops don't know definition pistol

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

WSMV News Story

Man With Loaded Gun In Radnor Lake State Park
Man Was Testing States Controversial Guns In Parks Law

POSTED: 10:30 pm CST December 22, 2009
UPDATED: 11:28 pm CST December 22, 2009

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Hikers using the trails at Radnor Lake State Park encountered a man dressed in military garb with an altered AK-47 strapped to his shoulder according to park rangers. (It wasn't altered)

Ellen Thomas told Channel 4 News she was hiking the upper trails Sunday when she encountered the man. "He was wearing military boots and a black skull cap," she said. "He didn't look like the friendliest of guys. It was scary." she said. (What did she expect Brad Pitt? I said hello to a few people, but wasn't looking for a chat buddy. The boots were Danner goretex and not military issue, the skull cap was polypro, and gore-tex jacket was only real military item from when I was in the army.)

Park rangers said they made a felony arrest in the parking lot after closely following him. he was later released. (They detained me, but I was not arrested)

The man had a carry permit and the AK-47 was altered to conform with Tenneesse's gun law. Park Rangers said standard A-K-47 is an assault rifle, but the weapon the man was carrying is considered to be a pistol, which is allowed in parks with a carry permit. The modified guns barrel is much shorter than that of an authentic AK-47 and it has a pistol grip according to park rangers. (The handgun was no altered)

Jim Thomas, a park patron told Channel 4, "This is a place where people come to find serenity, to be apart from the hustle and bustle. The guy is clearly trying to push the boundries."

The Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation told Channel Four 4, "The department is dismayed that someone would carry a weapon into a state park, seemingly with the intent of testing the new gun law."(There is no reason to test the law. The law exists and is valid)

The Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation said the man intends to sue because park rangers drew their guns and detained him. (Never said I was going to sue them for that. I told one cop I was going to sue him for charging me with a violation of law when there was no violation)

Here is map of the park. The trail I took is pretty short maybe 3 mi total.

lakemap.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

If you have any intentions of pursuing legal action, this is most definitely the wrong place to be posting this.

Yata hey

protias

imported post

jock wrote:
I AGREE THAT EVERYTHING THAT WAS DONE BY THIS INDIVIDUAL WAS LEGAL. DUMB, BUT LEGAL. THIS IS THE KIND OF ACTIVITY THAT IS CAUSEING SO MUCH PROBLEM IN GETTING CARRY LAWS CHANGED FOR PEOPLE WHO WANT TO CARRY BY THE TENNESSEE STATE LEGISLATURE. I AM A PERMIT HOLDER BUT I DO NOT TRY TO DARE LAW ENFORCEMENT TO PROVE I AM WITHIN THE LAW WHEN I AM. GUYS (AND GALS) HELP US OUT IN TENNESSEE BY USING SOME COMMON SENSE WITH YOUR PERMIT. THIS GUY IS LUCKY HE ENCOUNTERED A RANGER INSTEAD OF ANOTHER PERMIT HOLDER THAT THOUGHT HE WAS A TERRORIST.
caps_lock.jpg

Sonora Rebel

imported post

dunndw wrote:
nice job...you've singlehandedly gotten the guns in parks bill, and the mis named guns in bars bill back in full public view. All it took was the pictures of your AK pistol on EVERY FRIGGIN NEWS STATION IN NASHVILLE. You are one of the largest idiots I've ever seen. YES it's your right to open carry a pistol. What you've forgotten is the fact that with that right comes a responsiblity. A responsiblity that your tiny pea brain cannot grasp. You have the responsiblity to conduct yourself as a responsible adult instead of a insolent child who will do something no matter how destructive it is because he wants to or because someone told him he couldn't.

Taking a AK pistol to a park is the act of a moron who is nothing more than a attention whore.

It's going to be up tothe more adult HCP holders in Tennesseeto fight fire with fire in the media to undo the damage this (insert favorite curse word here) has done with this one act of sheer stupidity.ANYTIME there is a poll, blog, news report, letter to the editor, anything we have to get our side out. Let them know that most HCP holders are not this stupid. This moron has singlehandedly screwed the entire HCP community with his actions. He has opened public debate on guns in parks, guns in restaurants, hell anything to do with guns in Tennessee, he has given the rayburns of the world all the ammo they need to use against us. It wouldn't suprise me to find this loser on The Brady's Christmas list. He's trying his damnest to get HCPs restricted with loser stunts like this
You've echoed my thoughts exactly. He's playing agent provocateur. It's all about HIM at the expense of everyone else. It only takes one 'nut' to set the anti's wheels in motion. He doesn't carry for defense... he carries for attention... dressed like some kinda thug.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Yeah this is exactly the sort of stunt that begs for a new bill reversing park carr rights or so slow down gun rights generally - this stunt did not even have any hint of First Amendment activism either like the loonies carryng long guns to Presidential events and carrying signs about watering the grass with blood - open carry is about normal discreet open carry of handguns in proper holsters.

anhurset

imported post

RussP wrote:
Mike wrote:
...open carry is about normal discreet open carry of handguns in proper holsters.
:cool:
And who decides what's normal? Is it you? Is it kwikrnu? Or do we just decide that anything with a barrel longer than 3" is an inappropriate carry gun?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think what he did was right, but it was within the law.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

Well, yesterday I made a impulse purchase.

supressorreceipt.jpg

I had looked at Yankee Hill supressors on the web and was interested in their product. It seemed fairly inexpensive and it has a flash hider and quick detach system all built in. I did not know that the store where I went to ship a firearm was a class III dealer and that they had these.

As the receipt shows I contracted for the purchase of a supressor, the adapter, and for them to help with the paperwork. I filled out the paperwork. They said they would call for meto come in when someone was in the shop to do the fingerprints. Then they would submit the paperwork for me.

I received a call from the owner of the shop who told me on the phone that he could not sell me the supressor. I asked why. He said I broke the law by carrying in a state park. I told him I did not and told him about public chapetr 428. He said I broke the law because the muzzle tip was painted. I said that it was not against the law. He then told me he just didn't want to sell the item to me because the sheriff wouldn't approve me. I asked on what basis. He said he would not sell me the item and to come get my money. I told him I had a contract with him for the purchase of the silencer and services. He said to come get my money.

I called the sheriff department and they said approvals are not political, that the sheriff will approve if the other agencies didn't disapprove. They said there would have to be substantial proof that I did something illegal before they would disapprove the form.

I didn't tell him of the Radnor Lake incident. Gun dealers do not sell items to crazy people. I think his decision to make an issue of this is based upon libelous remarks from a local forum administrator who has called me a criminal and where many forum posters ahve called me crazy, mentally unstable, and other unkind things. Now that I have been damaged I wonder if I have cause for a suit?

midiwall

imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
Gun dealers do not sell items to crazy people.

Now that I have been damaged I wonder if I have cause for a suit?
Point A - Correct, they don't - "can't" even. Which tells you what?

Point B - Good luck. You have a trail here and other forums (ktog for example) leaving plenty of evidence that you are not in a sane mind. The people you're referring to, myself included, are expressing an opinion of your behavior.

Proving libel doesn't come from a single remark from one person, or even a hoard of people chiming in. You should read up a bit before calling your lawyer - who will probably just laugh at you anyway.

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?s=libel

http://www.answers.com/topic/defamation-1

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

midiwall wrote:
kwikrnu wrote:
Now that I have been damaged I wonder if I have cause for a suit?
Point A - Correct, they don't - "can't" even. Which tells you what?

Point B - Good luck. You have a trail here and other forums (ktog for example) leaving plenty of evidence that you are not in a sane mind. The people you're referring to, myself included, are expressing an opinion of your behavior.

Proving libel doesn't come from a single remark from one person, or even a hoard of people chiming in. You should read up a bit before calling your lawyer - who will probably just laugh at you anyway.

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?s=libel

http://www.answers.com/topic/defamation-1
It mostly stems from one web forum and the owner of that web forum. He has called me a criminal and many people there have called me crazy. The forum has allowed the comments to be posted. This is pattern over a couple of years now.

My reptation has been damaged.

Now, I have been denied a purchase I have already paid for based upon comments from that web site and nothing else. I have physical damages.

midiwall

imported post

kwikrnu wrote:

Now, I have been denied a purchase I have already paid for based upon comments from that web site and nothing else. I have physical damages.
Yes, your _reputation_ has been damaged... No one here, there or anywhere caused it. You need to find a mirror to discover the source of your "physical damages".

I'm thinking of calling the gun shop and congratulating the shop owner for being an upstanding citizen, shop owner, and human being.

The shop owner - ANY shop owner - has the right to refuse service to anyone. All he had to do was to watch the news last night and he would have enough info to make a determination of your character. I'd be surprised if you could buy a pack of gum at the local 7/11 this morning.

midiwall

imported post

midiwall wrote:
I'm thinking of calling the gun shop and congratulating the shop owner for being an upstanding citizen, shop owner, and human being.
I just had a nice chat with TomS - the owner of the shop.

He invites people to give him a call and voice their opinion...

Guns For America
Nashville, TN

Sonora Rebel

imported post

kwikrnu wrote:

It mostly stems from one web forum and the owner of that web forum. He has called me a criminal and many people there have called me crazy. The forum has allowed the comments to be posted. This is pattern over a couple of years now.

The man told you 'come get your money'. He's a responsible gun dealer who will not jeapordize his FFL to indulge your wierdness. You've damaged your own reputation by your own admissions and actions. You won't seek help from mental health professionals of your own accord... but eventually that won't be your choice to make. I think the State will do that for you. IMHO... you present a danger to society that should be checked.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
kwikrnu wrote:

The man told you 'come get your money'. He's a responsible gun dealer who will not jeapordize his FFL to indulge your wierdness. You've damaged your own reputation by your own admissions and actions. You won't seek help from mental health professionals of your own accord... but eventually that won't be your choice to make. I think the State will do that for you. IMHO... you present a danger to society that should be checked.

I have a binding contract with him for the purchase of a silencer. I have paid my money and now he will not perform the service of helping with the nfa paperwork. I have a clean record and there should be no problems with the transaction. Yesterday he didn't think I was crazy. Something happened for him to change his mind. My name was not mentioned on the news last night, so how did he know it was me who bought the silencer? Connect the dots.

I have only filed a complaint with the Tennessee Department of Consumer Affairs at this point.

cal40

imported post

You did everything you could do to create attention to yourself and and force the issue in a negative way. Congratualtions. You are not helping the cause.

You open carried, an AK47 pistol, with an orange tip, while dressed in camo in a public park. All well within your rights and perfectly reasonable if yourgoal is to draw as much attentionto yourself as possible.In your version, thepolice stopped you at gun point, investigated and eventually correctly released you? What exactly is your beef? That it took themlonger than you liked to correctly figure it out?Good luck as you continue to act foolishly and hender thecause.

By the way in an earlier post you state "nine officers were looking at the rifle" - a smallslip on your part as you yourself refer to it as a rifle.