• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dicks Sporting Goods - Corporate Firearm Policy

twpetry

This thread is actually pretty relevant. There's a Dick's opening in the Harrisonburg mall soon.

Will have to scout it out when it's done.

I don't plan on buying anything, though, not after the "We don't sell >10 round magazines in Virginia" sign I saw at Short Pump.

I can't really speak to that because our "Lodge" section is pretty small in Fredericksburg, in fact, the ONLY magazines i think we have are a few lonely 5 or 10rd ruger 10/22 mags hanging up on a peg hook. Although I can say that we sell one or two semi-auto .22s that come with a nice factory 30rd banana clip.

Jero1987

I just got off the phone with Dicks Sporting Goods corporate offices. (724)273-3400
April (Custer service rep) said that Dicks Sporting Goods follows all state and local laws. As long as you are following those you are welcome to carry a loaded gun.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I just got off the phone with Dicks Sporting Goods corporate offices. (724)273-3400
April (Custer service rep) said that Dicks Sporting Goods follows all state and local laws. As long as you are following those you are welcome to carry a loaded gun.

Would be of considerable merit to have had that in writing and from upper level management. Kind of hard to demonstrate any authority or documentation from a verbal response, even as encouraging as that is.

That and "on site" personnel can make decisions even if not in agreement with corporate. The time to straighten that out is after the occurrence.

DJEEPER

I don't plan on buying anything, though, not after the "We don't sell >10 round magazines in Virginia" sign I saw at Short Pump.

The 10 round magazine issue is with the AR15 rifles. The reason is that the FFL provided to dicks sporting goods is only good for up to Modern Sporting Rifles (AR15 with 10 rd mag). Once you slap a 30 rd mag into one it becomes an Assault Rifle and the paperwork increases.

We do sell GSG's and S&W MP15s that are 22LR and have 25 or 28rd mags....

ALSO, poking the bear a little on this....apparently now when you buy ammo at Dicks Sporting Goods you have to answer "Yes" or "No" to the question: "Are you a U.S. Citizen" when you go to check out at the register.

not sure how I feel about that one. I guess the government only wants illegals to get their ammo and firearms from them? *jab*

mk4

ALSO, poking the bear a little on this....apparently now when you buy ammo at Dicks Sporting Goods you have to answer "Yes" or "No" to the question: "Are you a U.S. Citizen" when you go to check out at the register.

interesting... how recent is this?
reason for asking is that i was at the stores in richmond (short pump and chesterfield) last week and bought 3 cans of xm855 5.56mm nato, 1200+ rounds. no "yes/no" at check-out for me.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran

"None of your damn business!" would be my response, if I were stupid enough to pay Dick's ammo prices.:banana:

Roscoe

zoom6zoom

The reason is that the FFL provided to dicks sporting goods is only good for up to Modern Sporting Rifles (AR15 with 10 rd mag). Once you slap a 30 rd mag into one it becomes an Assault Rifle and the paperwork increases.
Dick's is an 01FFL, just like Virginia arms or any other LGS. The mag restriction has nothing to do with the FFL type. What's at issue here is that Virginia requires proof of citizenship for what the state defines as "assault weapons" (which we all know are just cosmetic differences, but hey, they LOOK scary). Regardless of that, firearms purchasers in this state still have to fill out both the 4473 and the Virginia form no matter what they are buying, the only difference is the dealer has to see proof of citizenship. Its ONE extra checkbox on the form. Not exactly "lots more paperwork".

The most likely scenario is that rather than deal with two different model numbers, and making sure that rifles with what I like to call Standard capacity mags (as opposed to the reduced capacity ten round mags) don't get shipped into the commie states, they just stock a single item.

Last edited:

DJEEPER

Dick's is an 01FFL, just like Virginia arms or any other LGS. The mag restriction has nothing to do with the FFL type. What's at issue here is that Virginia requires proof of citizenship for what the state defines as "assault weapons" (which we all know are just cosmetic differences, but hey, they LOOK scary). Regardless of that, firearms purchasers in this state still have to fill out both the 4473 and the Virginia form no matter what they are buying, the only difference is the dealer has to see proof of citizenship. Its ONE extra checkbox on the form. Not exactly "lots more paperwork".

The most likely scenario is that rather than deal with two different model numbers, and making sure that rifles with what I like to call Standard capacity mags (as opposed to the reduced capacity ten round mags) don't get shipped into the commie states, they just stock a single item.

You are probably right there. Unfortunately, I was just regurgitating what the district manager told me (which was a load of you know what :rolleyes:)

Thinking about it now...you are right. I remember seeing the extra boxes on the state form under the military orders stuff....

oh well... it IS Dicks we are talking about haha :p.

Wont even give us discounts on ammo....cheapos...