• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Disarmed by VA Beach police in front of my own house on 04-26-2011

NovaCop

Gryl,

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. Both of our issues arise with interpretations of how much suspicion is needed. I believe there was way beyond what was needed and you disagree. This argument won't go anywhere.

Ps how far someone can walk in ten mins is reasonable for proximity.

crazydude6030

So you are saying that someone that just got into a confrontation with another person and pulled out a handgun and brandished it at them is not presently dangerous when an officer confronts them 10 mins later?? Is that going to be your stance? It takes less than a second (maybe a few for you old timers) to unholster, shoot, and kill someone. At what point would the officer who legally terry stopped someone have to wait until that handgun was now "presently dangerous" to seize that weapon during the investigation? You have to remember that he might not be showing dangerous behavior at the exact moment the LEO came up to him, but who is to say that when he realizes he might be arrested, he might fight/flight?

With that in mind, who is to say he wont be a danger 10 minutes after he leaves? So is it then okay for the person to go about carrying his firearm? That's the whole issue I have with this officer safety line.

At the VCDL meeting we had a while back where boys from the FFX department came in to talk to us even they said that carrying wasn't a crime. We went over a few examples of where MWG calls come in. they spoke to how often signals get crossed. I dont get why a cop needs to disarm someone just to ask a few basic questions. If your that scared then taze and cuff the guy.

Oh, and please, this time dont bother insulating my grammar or spelling as it may result in a locked thread.

Claytron

Fortunately "common sense" isn't in the purview of one person - it is however the mantra of the antis.

Introducing your faulty conclusion " they believe a persons rights are even more important than that person's life" is much over the top and frankly unnecessary. I have not seen that statement nor intent by any other poster here except you.

Indeed most of the founders of this country considered "rights are more important than human life."

You seem to have a propensity to exaggerate and distort a considered poor response to a life threatening situation, frequently and unnecessarily. Surely you do not see that has having application in Hendu's situation. Really!

--Moderator Statement w/deletion--

You, individually, have been advised by more that one here as to the limits of tolerance of postings - cannot suggest too strongly you consider these more carefully.

If you have an opinion as to the propriety of another poster, there are ways to report it. Each one is dealt with individually and NOT via public discourse on this forum.

grylnsmn

Gryl,

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. Both of our issues arise with interpretations of how much suspicion is needed. I believe there was way beyond what was needed and you disagree. This argument won't go anywhere.

Ps how far someone can walk in ten mins is reasonable for proximity.

I'm sorry, but your proximity standard is severely flawed. A marathon runner could run 2 miles (or more) in ten minutes. Even walking you could get almost a mile away in 10 minutes. Does that mean that anyone who is armed within a 1-2 mile radius of the incident is automatically presumed to be dangerous? (Where I live, that would cover my subdivision and several neighboring ones without any trouble.)

And what if it had taken the police 15 minutes to get there? Or 30? Would you then expand that proximity radius accordingly?

What it boils down to is that you don't like the standard that was set by Terry, and so you will make whatever assumptions you have to in order to get around it. You comments show that by default you assume that an armed person is dangerous, and your outline of RAS shows that you will then use whatever assumptions you need to after the fact to justify stopping and detaining the individual merely to allay the fears caused by your own assumptions.

The worst part of it is that you freely cite Terry to support your actions, but then you do everything you can to throw half of its standard out the window because you find it inconvenient.

NovaCop

Crazyguy,

This wasn't just a MWAG call, it involved a MWAG +threatening/brandishing a handgun. I obviously would not support disarming someone carrying just for a MWAG call alone.

PS I don't critic grammar

Claytron

With that in mind, who is to say he wont be a danger 10 minutes after he leaves? So is it then okay for the person to go about carrying his firearm? That's the whole issue I have with this officer safety line.

At the VCDL meeting we had a while back where boys from the FFX department came in to talk to us even they said that carrying wasn't a crime. We went over a few examples of where MWG calls come in. they spoke to how often signals get crossed. I dont get why a cop needs to disarm someone just to ask a few basic questions. If your that scared then taze and cuff the guy.

Oh, and please, this time dont bother insulating my grammar or spelling as it may result in a locked thread.

So.... its not ok to disarm someone if you then you are in danger but its ok to electrocute the guy and cuff him when hes on the ground?

Yeah i would much rather be disarmed, questioned for a minute and then let go instead of getting zapped and banging my face off of concrete on the way down.

grylnsmn

Even after someone makes comments in this thread for NO other reason than to insult and offend someone you still defend him and act as if hes been nothing but a gentlemen. Its called playing favorites and even "mature" adults do it.

There comes a time when you need to simply let things go and move on. At this point, it's pretty clear that constantly referencing peter's comments isn't going to get you anywhere. You can continue to criticize them, but it will only serve to drag the thread off topic more and more, and won't serve to help anything.

If you really think that others are acting immature, the proper response isn't to mirror their immaturity. It's to demonstrate your own maturity.

So.... its not ok to disarm someone if you then you are in danger but its ok to electrocute the guy and cuff him when hes on the ground?

Yeah i would much rather be disarmed, questioned for a minute and then let go instead of getting zapped and banging my face off of concrete on the way down.

That's not what he was saying.

If the officer genuinely thought that Hendu was dangerous, then his behavior should have reflected that by treating him as a threat. If I consider someone to be dangerous, I'm not going to talk with them and simply order them to surrender their gun. I'm going to neutralize the threat to me by whatever force is available to me, in proportion to how dangerous I perceive that threat.

Remember, this is not about objective danger, but merely the perception of danger.

NovaCop

Gryl,

These aren't my standards! They were set forth by the cases I mentioned in post #218. Please read those cases. In one case I cited they stopped him three blocks away. I cited more than just Terry. your problem is that you play judge on what these cases mean however they have already been ruled. Reasonable suspicion is a very low burden of proof.

grylnsmn

Gryl,

These aren't my standards! They were set forth by the cases I mentioned in post #218. Please read those cases. In one case I cited they stopped him three blocks away. I cited more than just Terry. your problem is that you play judge on what these cases mean however they have already been ruled. Reasonable suspicion is a very low burden of proof.

I'm sorry, but like I said, the Virginia cases you cited don't overrule what SCOTUS said in Terry.

Virginia's courts might ignore or neuter the "and dangerous" portion of Terry, but that doesn't change the fact that the binding 4th Amendment precedent requires that a police officer have RAS that a person is both armed and dangerous (as two separate criteria). SCOTUS precedent takes precedence over any individual state's rulings when it comes to the US Constitution and its provisions.

Unless you would care to cite a SCOTUS ruling that removes or neuters the "and dangerous" criteria from Terry. I'll gladly wait for your citation.

Just because you don't like having to articulate that a person was dangerous independent of their being armed doesn't mean that you can just ignore the Supreme Court on that criteria.

EDIT: Incidentally, if you are going to abbreviate my user name, I'd stick with just gry. It stands for "Gray Lensman", and so your abbreviation comes across more like "GrayL".

Last edited:

crazydude6030

Heh, you missed my point. I was simply trying to point out that if a officer is truly fearful those are methods they could use. Hell I have read new reports of officers shooting unarmed people cause they were fearful.

crazydude6030

Crazyguy,

This wasn't just a MWAG call, it involved a MWAG +threatening/brandishing a handgun. I obviously would not support disarming someone carrying just for a MWAG call alone.

PS I don't critic grammar

None of that was being done when the office arrived, unless I missed something.

crazydude6030

If you or I do it, that's called murder.

When a police officer does it he has "qualified" immunity and is much more likely to be exonerated. Sickening.

To be fair some have been charged with murder, others not so much. it just depends on a few factors like public outrage and events around the shooting.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Electrocution? Might just be over stating the actual condition just a little bit?

I would much prefer a short conversation, then being not further detained or inconvenienced when it is easily determined that I am a threat to no one.

Allowing for these conditions to occur over and over is as much our responsibility as that of others......... and it does not take exaggeration or hyperbole to make the point. Reaching for such extremes materially weakens our case. Ignoring the events mishandles them more so.

NovaCop

I'm sorry, but like I said, the Virginia cases you cited don't overrule what SCOTUS said in Terry.

Virginia's courts might ignore or neuter the "and dangerous" portion of Terry, but that doesn't change the fact that the binding 4th Amendment precedent requires that a police officer have RAS that a person is both armed and dangerous (as two separate criteria). SCOTUS precedent takes precedence over any individual state's rulings when it comes to the US Constitution and its provisions.

Unless you would care to cite a SCOTUS ruling that removes or neuters the "and dangerous" criteria from Terry. I'll gladly wait for your citation.

Just because you don't like having to articulate that a person was dangerous independent of their being armed doesn't mean that you can just ignore the Supreme Court on that criteria.

EDIT: Incidentally, if you are going to abbreviate my user name, I'd stick with just gry. It stands for "Gray Lensman", and so your abbreviation comes across more like "GrayL".

Gry,

Those VA cases directly correlate with Terry and don't override. Terry v Ohio SCOTUS doesn't set forth exact lines to reasonableness since each incident is never exactly the same, and since then, there have been many other landmark cases also establishing RAS stops (I listed a couple in my previous posts). It's more of a guide and the VA Supreme Court uses the SCOTUS to help interpret. You are only looking at Terry and Terry alone to make your own judgements, when in reality, there has been some rulings already narrowing down reasonableness (not overriding). You only rely on Terry and IN YOUR OWN OPINION, believe it does not reach reasonable suspicion in that one court case.

If you even take Terry alone... it was an officer who saw a couple guys (no tips of criminal activity or witnesses) standing on a corner not engaging in any criminal behavior. The officer was able to articulate a legal stop and frisk and pulled out a concealed handgun. How was that man more dangerous than a MWAG threatening/brandishing 10 mins prior? How can you argue that was legal and stopping a man w/a gun at a brandishing call (given the numerous other factors I already listed) would be illegal to stop and investigate? I am not going to go back and restate the obvious RAS and case laws. You have an incorrect grasp on the law as it is on paper.

Side note: I didn't mean any disrespect by shortening your name, I sometimes use a smaller computer to respond, which cuts off the names after I click respond. Instead of attempting to memorize your entire name, I tried to abbreviate what I remembered.

NovaCop

If you or I do it, that's called murder.

When a police officer does it he has "qualified" immunity and is much more likely to be exonerated. Sickening.

Wylde,

Why I see you are back at your games, I will chime in that many officers are held accountable for their actions. Qualified immunity may "sicken" you, however, it is reasonable. We all know that police in society are necessary, that's not even a topic for debate (unless you want to live in Somalia). If you expect a bunch of humans to enforce laws and catch violent people in dangerous, highly stressful situations, which sometimes require split second decisions, honest mistakes will be made. You can't expect police not to make some serious mistakes which may result in fatal mistakes. It's just not possible. Everything should be done to prevent mistakes, training, better screening, etc. etc., but no matter what precautionary measures are in place.. mistakes will always be made. I don't think anyone would take a job where an honest mistake means prison time.

With that being said, don't twist my words to mean I support corrupt police. I am actually much against corrupt police and hope their actions do result in criminal charges. I am merely stating that qualified immunity is necessary and society understands that.

grylnsmn

Gry,

Those VA cases directly correlate with Terry and don't override. Terry v Ohio SCOTUS doesn't set forth exact lines to reasonableness since each incident is never exactly the same, and since then, there have been many other landmark cases also establishing RAS stops (I listed a couple in my previous posts). It's more of a guide and the VA Supreme Court uses the SCOTUS to help interpret. You are only looking at Terry and Terry alone to make your own judgements, when in reality, there has been some rulings already narrowing down reasonableness (not overriding). You only rely on Terry and IN YOUR OWN OPINION, believe it does not reach reasonable suspicion in that one court case.

If you even take Terry alone... it was an officer who saw a couple guys (no tips of criminal activity or witnesses) standing on a corner not engaging in any criminal behavior. The officer was able to articulate a legal stop and frisk and pulled out a concealed handgun. How was that man more dangerous than a MWAG threatening/brandishing 10 mins prior? How can you argue that was legal and stopping a man w/a gun at a brandishing call (given the numerous other factors I already listed) would be illegal to stop and investigate? I am not going to go back and restate the obvious RAS and case laws. You have an incorrect grasp on the law as it is on paper.

Side note: I didn't mean any disrespect by shortening your name, I sometimes use a smaller computer to respond, which cuts off the names after I click respond. Instead of attempting to memorize your entire name, I tried to abbreviate what I remembered.

You are missing my point. In Terry, the Court specifically used the phrase "armed and dangerous", rather than simply saying "armed". By using the longer phrase, it indicates that the shorter phrase is not sufficient in and of itself, otherwise there's no reason for using the extra wording.

Basic English construction then tells us that being armed, in and of itself, is not sufficient reason to perform a Terry stop.

In fact, if you read Terry in more detail, it supports everything I've been saying:
When an officer is justified in believing that the individual whose suspicious behavior he is investigating at close range is armed and presently dangerous to the officer or to others, it would appear to be clearly unreasonable to deny the officer the power to take necessary measures to determine whether the person is, in fact, carrying a weapon and to neutralize the threat of physical harm.

Our evaluation of the proper balance that has to be struck in this type of case leads us to conclude that there must be a narrowly drawn authority to permit a reasonable search for weapons for the protection of the police officer, where he has reason to believe that he is dealing with an armed and dangerous individual, regardless of whether he has probable cause to arrest the individual for a crime. The officer need not be absolutely certain that the individual is armed; the issue is whether a reasonably prudent man, in the circumstances, would be warranted in the belief that his safety or that of others was in danger.
In Hendu's case, what evidence do you have to suggest that he was both armed and "presently dangerous" when the police arrived? Everyone agrees that he was armed, but there is nothing in the record to suggest that he was dangerous at the time the responding officer arrived.

And that is the key part you are missing. You seem to start from the claim that merely because he was armed, you can assume that he is dangerous, thereby allowing a "reasonable" search. However, your justification for that search doesn't rely on any objective facts, but rather your assumptions about him, primarily because he was legally armed. If your assumptions, in and of themselves, are sufficient to make a search reasonable, then it effectively eliminates any protection offered by the 4th Amendment and nullifies the core ruling in Terry.

I understand that you want to make sure you go home to your family each night. I want you to be able to do that as well. However, that isn't justification for you crossing the boundaries set by the 4th Amendment, as outlined by the Supreme Court. For all the lip service you give Terry, your attitude and arguments show almost complete disregard to its actual content.

EDIT: Part of the key there is that it requires the person be "presently dangerous". In this case, even with the report of brandishing, there was no evidence of immediate danger when the officer arrived on the scene. You cannot use past events that you didn't witness and haven't verified as justification for labeling someone as a present danger.

Last edited:

NovaCop

Gry,

You are missing my entire point, I disagree with YOUR PERSONAL BELIEF he was not dangerous (perspective of the first officer). If the OP was the actual suspect (very easily could have been) would you change your mind then? What is your personal definition of dangerous?

I never said just because he was armed made him dangerous, I said that since he is armed and given the type of crime (threatening/brandishing) makes him dangerous. (remember my comment on jaywalkin). If your theory was correct then Terry v Ohio would have been unlawful, that officer had no violence, or weapon seen, or even a report of criminal activity. I can tell you know just enough about laws to make an opinion but not fully enough to be correct.

Last edited:

Feynix

I dont know why you think im fighting here, unless you feel that an opposing opinion is a threat. Im not arguing the legality of the officers actions, i assumed everyone was in agreement that legally hendu didnt do anything wrong and that what the officer did wasnt consitutionally sound. I am discussing the idea of having an officer draw his weapon on you because he is responding to a call about a man threatening someone with a gun, and someone being shot because they didnt comply.

I'm new to this forum as far as posting goes, however I've been reading it for a while and I absolutely love how the members here share their knowledge and go through great lengths to PROTECT our rights as American Citizens.

I marked in Bold something you had said which DOES NOT apply to this discussion. Hendu when confronted by the officer, did as he was instructed by the officer (although a violation of his rights), and continued to inform the officer that: 1) He does not consent, 2) WOULD NOT RESIST and 3) that the seizure of him and his firearm were ILLEGAL.

Anyone here could say "Hendu, you SHould have done this...." "or Hendu what you did wasn't smart" but what it really boils down to is this....Hendu was perfectly within his rights at all times...and this thread was started as a report to us that his rights had been violated....simple as that.

Grapeshot/Citizen and the likes....you guys are providing real and useful information....all the while citing your sources and keeping it relavent. Claytron....I know I'm new but I still urge you to keep the situation relavent. Hendu wasn't resisting/brandinshing/threatening/etc. Nothing he did was a precursor to being violated. Maybe the Landscaper should have been detained for wielding a Spade....

Last edited: