• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Disclose while Open Carrying in Vehicle

PilotPTK

MOC Charter Member - Shelby Township, Michigan, US
imported post

custom.45acp wrote:
Sounds logical to me, except if you are in a vehicle, gun loaded in the holster, you are right handed (carrying strong side), police officer approaches on the driver side, IS THE PISTOL IN PLAIN SIGHT (even ifit's orange)?

I'd say this is just a little on the far side! :what:

This brings up another interesting (although tough to swallow) point.. Are you openly carrying if you are sitting in a restaurant, carrying strong side and sitting in a booth where your strong side is NOT facing the aisle? While I am in that position, no-one can see my weapon....

Ben

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

PilotPTK wrote:
custom.45acp wrote:
Sounds logical to me, except if you are in a vehicle, gun loaded in the holster, you are right handed (carrying strong side), police officer approaches on the driver side, IS THE PISTOL IN PLAIN SIGHT (even if it's orange)?

I'd say this is just a little on the far side!        :what:

This brings up another interesting (although tough to swallow) point..  Are you openly carrying if you are sitting in a restaurant, carrying strong side and sitting in a booth where your strong side is NOT facing the aisle?  While I am in that position, no-one can see my weapon....

Ben

Makes one wonder if intent comes into play here...

Did you intend to conceal your weapon? (rhetorical question)

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

PilotPTK wrote:
MCL 750.227 further backs up my claim...

(2) A person shall not carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law and if licensed, shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license.

Yet another peice of legislation that suggests it's possible to carry a pistol NOT concealed inside of a vehicle.

I agree that you need a CPL to carry a pistol in a vehicle - PERIOD. I do not agree that you ALWAYS have to disclose just because you are excercising a privilege granted by said license. The license gives us several priviliges (carrying concealed, carrying in a vehicle, openly carrying in a pistol free zone, carrying in places with liquor licenses, etc.). However, the only time we have to disclose is when excercising the particular privilege of carrying concealed.

Ben

The law considers a loaded handgun in a vehicle as CONCEALED whether it was OCed or not. Otherwise OC would be legal in a vehicle for people without a CPL or on a motorcycle (which has been discussed before and shown I believe to be unlawful to OC on one without a CPL, but I digress.). So if all loaded handguns in/on a vehicle are considered concealed, then you must disclose per state law.

For aperson that is OCing and has a CPL and is stopped on a motorcycle, it would be obvious the person has a gun, but an astute officer is going to ask for both your DL and your CPL. I guess I would still say to the officer as he approached, I have a CPL and am carrying a handgun

Now do you have an argument for court for not disclosing while OCing a car? Yes, but not a very strong one. The only way to test it is to take it to trial. Or get an AG opinion, which still doesn't guarantee you wont be charged.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

Venator wrote:
The law considers a loaded handgun in a vehicle as CONCEALED whether it was OCed or not. Otherwise OC would be legal in a vehicle for people without a CPL or on a motorcycle (which has been discussed before and shown I believe to be unlawful to OC on one without a CPL, but I digress.). So if all loaded handguns in/on a vehicle are considered concealed, then you must disclose per state law.

For aperson that is OCing and has a CPL and is stopped on a motorcycle, it would be obvious the person has a gun, but an astute officer is going to ask for both your DL and your CPL. I guess I would still say to the officer as he approached, I have a CPL and am carrying a handgun

Now do you have an argument for court for not disclosing while OCing a car? Yes, but not a very strong one. The only way to test it is to take it to trial. Or get an AG opinion, which still doesn't guarantee you wont be charged.
Please site the law that says if a gun is in a car it's "concealed".

Venator

imported post

dougwg wrote:
Please site the law that says if a gun is in a car it's "concealed".

Okay the law state that you can not carry a pistol whether loaded or not,(doesn't specify loaded) on you or in your car PERIOD. Look at Sec. .227

BUT there are some exceptions which are outlined in the law .231a. You can have a handgun in a car with a CPL, or unloaded, etc... without a CPL, and a few other exceptions. So my argument is that if you have a loaded handgun in a car under the authority of a CPL the law would consider that concealed because of .227. If it's considered concealed, then a CPL holder must disclose it.

Granted it may or may not be an issue based on where the gun was, and the interpretation of the LEO on site. But it is definitely one of the many gray areas in the law.

750.227 Concealed weapons; carrying; penalty.

Sec. 227.

(1) A person shall not carry a dagger, dirk, stiletto, a double-edged nonfolding stabbing instrument of any length, or any other dangerous weapon, except a hunting knife adapted and carried as such, concealed on or about his or her person, or whether concealed or otherwise in any vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business or on other land possessed by the person.

(2) A person shall not carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law and if licensed, shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license.

750.231a Exceptions to MCL 750.227(2); definitions.

Sec. 231a.

(1) Subsection (2) of section 227 does not apply to any of the following:

(a) To a person holding a valid license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by his or her state of residence except where the pistol is carried in nonconformance with a restriction appearing on the license.

(b) To the regular and ordinary transportation of pistols as merchandise by an authorized agent of a person licensed to manufacture firearms.

(c) To a person carrying an antique firearm as defined in subsection (2), completely unloaded in a closed case or container designed for the storage of firearms in the trunk of a vehicle.

(d) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in the trunk of the vehicle.

(e) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in a vehicle that does not have a trunk and is not readily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle.

(2) As used in this section:

(a) “Antique firearm” means either of the following:

(i) A firearm not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before 1898, including a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system or replica of such a firearm, whether actually manufactured before or after 1898.

(ii) A firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

(b) “Lawful purpose” includes the following:

(i) While en route to or from a hunting or target shooting area.

(ii) While transporting a pistol en route to or from his or her home or place of business and place of repair.

(iii) While moving goods from 1 place of abode or business to another place of abode or business.

(iv) While transporting a licensed pistol en route to or from a law enforcement agency for the purpose of having a safety inspection performed on the pistol as is required by section 9 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.429, or for the purpose of having a law enforcement official take possession of the weapon.

(v) While en route to or from his or her abode or place of business and a gun show or places of purchase or sale.

(vi) While en route to or from his or her abode to a public shooting facility or public land where discharge of firearms is permitted by law, rule, regulation, or local ordinance.

(vii) While en route to or from his or her abode to a private property location where the pistol is to be used as is permitted by law, rule, regulation, or local ordinance.

ghostrider

imported post

Here's one way of looking at it:

Carrying a loaded gun in the car is illegal unless you have a CPL (read Venators post).

Carrying in a prohibited zone (per MCL 750.234d) is also illegal, with a CPL holder being an exception. If you are carrying (OC) in a prohibited zone and arestopped by and officer, then shouldn't you disclose because you are carrying under that CPL? Sure, it's probably obvious that your carrying, and the statute says that you must disclose if you are carrying "concealed", but do you want to risk loosing the CPL just because of a technicality.

Venator

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
Venator wrote:
I wouldn't disclose I have a CPL if I was carrying in any of the places OC is legal without a CPL.
I understand. I was talking about OC'ing in places where a CPL is a requirement to do so. CHurches, bars, ...etc
Oh I know, I just added that to express my actions in those situations.

ghostrider

imported post

Venator wrote:
ghostrider wrote:
Venator wrote:
I wouldn't disclose I have a CPL if I was carrying in any of the places OC is legal without a CPL.
I understand. I was talking about OC'ing in places where a CPL is a requirement to do so. CHurches, bars, ...etc
Oh I know, I just added that to express my actions in those situations.
Gotcha.

PT111

imported post

PilotPTK wrote:
custom.45acp wrote:
Sounds logical to me, except if you are in a vehicle, gun loaded in the holster, you are right handed (carrying strong side), police officer approaches on the driver side, IS THE PISTOL IN PLAIN SIGHT (even ifit's orange)?

I'd say this is just a little on the far side! :what:

This brings up another interesting (although tough to swallow) point.. Are you openly carrying if you are sitting in a restaurant, carrying strong side and sitting in a booth where your strong side is NOT facing the aisle? While I am in that position, no-one can see my weapon....

Ben
I am confused in what is OC? If a LEO walks up to your car and cannot see the gun is it concealed, independent of the law? In NC to be OC in a car it must be in plain sight. So if a LEO walks up to your car and can see the gun then he has reason to ask for the CPL unless OC is legal. If he cannot see the gun then how would it be OC? Similar to the question about ina restaurant about what is the definition of OC.

custom.45acp

imported post

This is quite ridiculous. There are so many variables that can be considered, such as; officer's height compared to vehicle, tinted windows, SUV (pretty large compartment), driver OCing a LCP (how can you possibly see this if it's holstered?), a newspaper covering the gun because you don't want it in plain view, so on and so forth, etc.

Because you are Ocing, doesn’t make it obvious that it’s in plain view for the officer to see (whether you’re in a vehicle or even walking on the street.)

"For a person that is OCing and has a CPL and is stopped on a motorcycle, it would be obvious the person has a gun, but an astute officer is going to ask for both your DL and your CPL. I guess I would still say to the officer as he approached, I have a CPL and am carrying a handgun."

I don't know if I would give advice like above mentioned. Once again, the size of the person compared to the pistol could very easily be construed as being concealed, again, way too many variables to consider.

But, then again, I am not a lawyer, so I don’t know it for fact, again, just opinion.

SQLtables

imported post

Venator wrote:
PilotPTK wrote:

Yet another peice of legislation that suggests it's possible to carry a pistol NOT concealed inside of a vehicle.

I agree that you need a CPL to carry a pistol in a vehicle - PERIOD.  I do not agree that you ALWAYS have to disclose just because you are excercising a privilege granted by said license.  The license gives us several priviliges (carrying concealed, carrying in a vehicle, openly carrying in a pistol free zone, carrying in places with liquor licenses, etc.).  However, the only time we have to disclose is when excercising the particular privilege of carrying concealed.

Ben

The law considers a loaded handgun in a vehicle as CONCEALED whether it was OCed or not.  Otherwise OC would be legal in a vehicle for people without a CPL or on a motorcycle (which has been discussed before and shown I believe to be unlawful to OC on one without a CPL, but I digress.).  So if all loaded handguns in/on a vehicle are considered concealed, then you must disclose per state law. 

For a person that is OCing and has a CPL and is stopped on a motorcycle, it would be obvious the person has a gun, but an astute officer is going to ask for both your DL and your CPL.  I guess I would still say to the officer as he approached, I have a CPL and am carrying a handgun

Now do you have an argument for court for not disclosing while OCing a car?  Yes, but not a very strong one.  The only way to test it is to take it to trial.  Or get an AG opinion, which still doesn't guarantee you wont be charged.

You really surprised me with this...again I disagree, but I do have a question for you.

would you disclose if you were OCing in a bar with your CPL? (assuming the officer doesn't ask for your CPL right off the bat.

PilotPTK

MOC Charter Member - Shelby Township, Michigan, US
imported post

Venator wrote:
PilotPTK wrote:

I agree that you need a CPL to carry a pistol in a vehicle - PERIOD. I do not agree that you ALWAYS have to disclose just because you are excercising a privilege granted by said license. The license gives us several priviliges (carrying concealed, carrying in a vehicle, openly carrying in a pistol free zone, carrying in places with liquor licenses, etc.). However, the only time we have to disclose is when excercising the particular privilege of carrying concealed.

Ben

"The law considers a loaded handgun in a vehicle as CONCEALED"

Could you please cite a MCL Reference for that.

Venator

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
Venator wrote:
PilotPTK wrote:

Ben

You really surprised me with this...again I disagree, but I do have a question for you.

would you disclose if you were OCing in a bar with your CPL? (assuming the officer doesn't ask for your CPL right off the bat.

Probably not. The LEO has RAS to investigate further because firearms in bars are illegal unless you fall under the exemptions. He doesn't know that you are exempt until he investigates. If asked if I had a CPL/ID I would say yes and show both to him as required by law.

Why are you surprised, it's just myopinions on the statutes, they may very well be all wet. That's why I like discussing things like this, I learn a lot.

Venator

imported post

PilotPTK wrote:
Venator wrote:
PilotPTK wrote:

Ben

"The law considers a loaded handgun in a vehicle as CONCEALED"

Could you please cite a MCL Reference for that.

Only this from my above post.

Okay the law state that you can not carry a pistol whether loaded or not,(doesn't specify loaded) on you or in your car PERIOD. Look at Sec. .227

BUT there are some exceptions which are outlined in the law .231a. You can have a handgun in a car with a CPL, or unloaded, etc... without a CPL, and a few other exceptions. So my argument is that if you have a loaded handgun in a car under the authority of a CPL the law would consider that concealed because of .227. If it's considered concealed, then a CPL holder must disclose it.

Granted it may or may not be an issue based on where the gun was, and the interpretation of the LEO on site. But it is definitely one of the many gray areas in the law.

750.227 Concealed weapons; carrying; penalty.

Sec. 227.

(1) A person shall not carry a dagger, dirk, stiletto, a double-edged nonfolding stabbing instrument of any length, or any other dangerous weapon, except a hunting knife adapted and carried as such, concealed on or about his or her person, or whether concealed or otherwise in any vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business or on other land possessed by the person.

750.231a Exceptions to MCL 750.227(2); definitions.

Sec. 231a.

(1) Subsection (2) of section 227 does not apply to any of the following:

(a) To a person holding a valid license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by his or her state of residence except where the pistol is carried in nonconformance with a restriction appearing on the license.

(b) To the regular and ordinary transportation of pistols as merchandise by an authorized agent of a person licensed to manufacture firearms.

(c) To a person carrying an antique firearm as defined in subsection (2), completely unloaded in a closed case or container designed for the storage of firearms in the trunk of a vehicle.

(d) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in the trunk of the vehicle.

(e) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in a vehicle that does not have a trunk and is not readily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle.

(2) As used in this section:

(a) “Antique firearm” means either of the following:

(i) A firearm not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before 1898, including a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system or replica of such a firearm, whether actually manufactured before or after 1898.

(ii) A firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

(b) “Lawful purpose” includes the following:

(i) While en route to or from a hunting or target shooting area.

(ii) While transporting a pistol en route to or from his or her home or place of business and place of repair.

(iii) While moving goods from 1 place of abode or business to another place of abode or business.

(iv) While transporting a licensed pistol en route to or from a law enforcement agency for the purpose of having a safety inspection performed on the pistol as is required by section 9 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.429, or for the purpose of having a law enforcement official take possession of the weapon.

(v) While en route to or from his or her abode or place of business and a gun show or places of purchase or sale.

(vi) While en route to or from his or her abode to a public shooting facility or public land where discharge of firearms is permitted by law, rule, regulation, or local ordinance.

(vii) While en route to or from his or her abode to a private property location where the pistol is to be used as is permitted by law, rule, regulation, or local ordinance.

conservative85

imported post

I go with zig if you take a gun into a car you fall under the concealed law. "whether concealed or not" I say is either an oversite on the idiot law maker, or just pointing out whether plain sight, or not. I don't think the cop is going to say "hey are you open carrying in a car? "Well I guess I don't need to see your CPL" just my humble opinion

SQLtables

imported post

Venator wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
Venator wrote:
PilotPTK wrote:

I agree that you need a CPL to carry a pistol in a vehicle - PERIOD.  I do not agree that you ALWAYS have to disclose just because you are excercising a privilege granted by said license.  The license gives us several priviliges (carrying concealed, carrying in a vehicle, openly carrying in a pistol free zone, carrying in places with liquor licenses, etc.).  However, the only time we have to disclose is when excercising the particular privilege of carrying concealed.

Ben

The law considers a loaded handgun in a vehicle as CONCEALED whether it was OCed or not.  Otherwise OC would be legal in a vehicle for people without a CPL or on a motorcycle (which has been discussed before and shown I believe to be unlawful to OC on one without a CPL, but I digress.).  So if all loaded handguns in/on a vehicle are considered concealed, then you must disclose per state law. 

For a person that is OCing and has a CPL and is stopped on a motorcycle, it would be obvious the person has a gun, but an astute officer is going to ask for both your DL and your CPL.  I guess I would still say to the officer as he approached, I have a CPL and am carrying a handgun

Now do you have an argument for court for not disclosing while OCing a car?  Yes, but not a very strong one.  The only way to test it is to take it to trial.  Or get an AG opinion, which still doesn't guarantee you wont be charged.

Probably not.   The LEO has RAS to investigate further because firearms in bars are illegal unless you fall under the exemptions.  He doesn't know that you are exempt until he investigates.  If asked if I had a CPL/ID I would say yes and show both to him as required by law.

Why are you surprised, it's just my opinions on the statutes, they may very well be all wet.  That's why I like discussing things like this, I learn a lot.

Well, in my opinion, these two situations are very similar. You need a CPL to carry openly in a vehicle, just as you need a CPL to carry openly in a bar, they just didn't spell out the bar in the law. I don't know... again, I'm not going to test it.

If you are carrying openly in a car, it doesn't make sense that you would be required to disclose.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
SNIP

Well, in my opinion, these two situations are very similar. You need a CPL to carry openly in a vehicle, just as you need a CPL to carry openly in a bar, they just didn't spell out the bar in the law. I don't know... again, I'm not going to test it.

If you are carrying openly in a car, it doesn't make sense that you would be required to disclose.
I agree. This may be the reason, for example,Virginia--a Gold Star State--allows carry in a vehicle without a license/permit as long as the pistol is clearly visible.