• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do any LEOs open carry?

Heartless_Conservative

imported post

I don't have time to look it up right now, but I have seen a story which I believe was from Virginia about a young man open carrying at about 4 am getting mugged and having his gun stolen.
I'm pretty sure this story was later found to be fabricated (in the sense that the man in question lied about it, not that someone else made up the story). IIRC, a handgun similar to the one described as stolen was later found in the man's apartment during a drug raid.

KBCraig

imported post

Gordie wrote:
1245A Defender wrote:
Gordie wrote:
If anyone can cite a confirmed case of an OCer getting mugged and losing his/her gun, please post it. I have been unable to find one.
read the exploits of anty506 the 4th post is his story of how he was dissarmed at a party! now hes in jail for murder! its the only story ive everread of an actual gun grab! Anybody know Anty506 new news?
Yeah, but that guy was looking for trouble. I don't know if he counts.
He doesn't count because he was illegally CCing, not OCing. That, and looking for trouble.

lonewolf2810

imported post

This is just like any thread posted. You post on one thing and then before you know it we are off on something else.

All that was ask in the post was, Do LEO's open carry while off duty that's all. Nothing about State laws on OC or CC just do you or don't you.

AZkopper

imported post

Sorry I'm late to the party.

I'm LE, and I open carry. Most I know up here don't. Some do. I will 'casual carry' when I know I'm going somwhere that is gun unfriendly (some restaurants, the mall, etc).

sudden valley gunner

imported post

AZkopper wrote:
Sorry I'm late to the party.

I'm LE, and I open carry. Most I know up here don't. Some do. I will 'casual carry' when I know I'm going somwhere that is gun unfriendly (some restaurants, the mall, etc).
+ My kinda copper.

simmonsjoe

imported post

flintlock tom wrote:
Sorry for my ignorance, but what is "casual carry"?
usually When you have an unbuttened shirt or jacket, on a t-shirt that may leave your gun partially visible(usually lower end of holster) to the astute observer or may occasionally become visible while you are moving around.

THIS IS NOT LEGAL IN ALL STATES
Please check your states laws.

I know it is OK here in VA.

AZkopper

imported post

flintlock tom wrote:

Casual Carry is an unoffical term, which equate to "really piss poor conceal carry", as stated above, for me it means throwing an over shirt (button up, unbuttoned) to hide the weapon from casual inspection (back, side), but it is clearly visible to those in front of me, should they actually take the time to look.

Here in AZ, it would equate with conceal carry for legal purposes.

I carry in such fashion, as stated, in places that are posted 'no firearms' as a private property right (malls, some restaurants, etc). My experiences here in AZ are that, even when posted, such establishments and their agents will willfullypretend not to have seenthe gun, if they can mentally argue 'hey, I could've not seen it", even when it is obvious to mee that they did see it.

I only truely conceal carry in places that would cause a real problem (bars, etc).

On a side note, here in AZ, there is no statutes differentiating between off-duty and on-duty peace officers. So I can legally carry in bars, etc. While this causes a 'two-tiered' set of rights, which is dead wrong, I want to make sure those 'Zonies reading this don't equate this behavior as legally acceptable for all.

I also will caviat my caviat by saying that, in my personal opinion,anyone who disarms themselves must balance the chances of needed said defensive weapon vs. the chance of being noticed and/or prosecuted.

I was really hoping our state senate bill would pass this year, that would have allowed all to conceal carry without a permit--making AZ a true 'carry state'. CWP's would have allowed anyone with one to carry on school grounds, bars, etc.

simmonsjoe

imported post

AZkopper wrote:
flintlock tom wrote:

Casual Carry is an unoffical term, which equate to "really piss poor conceal carry", as stated above, for me it means throwing an over shirt (button up, unbuttoned) to hide the weapon from casual inspection (back, side), but it is clearly visible to those in front of me, should they actually take the time to look.

Here in AZ, it would equate with conceal carry for legal purposes.

I carry in such fashion, as stated, in places that are posted 'no firearms' as a private property right (malls, some restaurants, etc). My experiences here in AZ are that, even when posted, such establishments and their agents will willfullypretend not to have seenthe gun, if they can mentally argue 'hey, I could've not seen it", even when it is obvious to mee that they did see it.

I only truely conceal carry in places that would cause a real problem (bars, etc).

On a side note, here in AZ, there is no statutes differentiating between off-duty and on-duty peace officers. So I can legally carry in bars, etc. While this causes a 'two-tiered' set of rights, which is dead wrong, I want to make sure those 'Zonies reading this don't equate this behavior as legally acceptable for all.

I also will caviat my caviat by saying that, in my personal opinion,anyone who disarms themselves must balance the chances of needed said defensive weapon vs. the chance of being noticed and/or prosecuted.

I was really hoping our state senate bill would pass this year, that would have allowed all to conceal carry without a permit--making AZ a true 'carry state'. CWP's would have allowed anyone with one to carry on school grounds, bars, etc.
You think that is silly??
try the VA bill SB1035 which allows persons to CC into a bar, and makes it a crime for them to drink while there! THIS ONLY APPLIES TO OFF DUTY OFFICERS so if you are on duty you can conceal and drink legally I mean wtf???
To get even craizer the HB1821 version would allow the above, but require CHPers to inform a "designated person" that you were carrying a gun. I mean double wtf????:banghead:

bartender: "how ya doing"
customer: "I'm not sure If I should tell you this, but I'm carrying a gun"
bartender: (dialing 911 under the counter) "uh huh.... would you like a drink?"

I mean,,, wtf?!?![font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="-2"]
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?091+sum+SB1035
[/size][/font]

SlowDog

imported post

There are 2 states that do not require any form of permits/licenses to conceal carry. You can just strap on and cover it up and off you go.

One is Alaska the other is Vermont. One being the last frontier and where I spent a great deal of my childhood! The other is the biggest Liberal run crap station in America.<my opinion> been there many times and the people are so liberal they ooze it.

I dream of a day when all state have these same laws.:quirky:quirky:quirky

jeremy05

imported post

As a Federal Agent I Open Carry In Michigan and Arizona whenever I go out. No badge on the belt either. I've never been harassed yet, but should be a interesting day if it ever does.

On a Side note, we are prohibited from Open carrying our duty weapon. Im sure every agency is different.

simmonsjoe

imported post

jeremy05 wrote:
As a Federal Agent I Open Carry In Michigan and Arizona whenever I go out. No badge on the belt either. I've never been harassed yet, but should be a interesting day if it ever does.

On a Side note, we are prohibited from Open carrying our duty weapon. Im sure every agency is different.
Yea but do YOU have cop hair?

kito109654

imported post

lonewolf2810 wrote:
Many advocate open carry because they believe criminals will not attack an openly armed person and that there are no significant safety issues involved. I, on the other hand, believe that the dangers of open carry far outweigh any benefits. So how, if at all, can we decide who is right and who is wrong? I think I know.

If open carry is such a good idea then surely LEOs, at least those with lots of street experience, should know! Therefore lets here from current LEOs, former LEOs, and retired LEOs that may be reading this forum. Do you or would you open carry when off duty or now that you are either retired or no longer working as a LEO if you could?

I mean while not in uniform. I think this is the right place to post this

The common misconception that LEOs are the end all authority and knowledge epicenteron guns because they carry one on their hip.

Just because the dude in line in front of you is wearing a hat doesn't make him the end all authority on hats.

AZkopper

imported post

kito109654 wrote:

The common misconception that LEOs are the end all authority and knowledge epicenteron guns because they carry one on their hip.

Just because the dude in line in front of you is wearing a hat doesn't make him the end all authority on hats.

The other important issue to consider with LEOs is that they carry a firearm publicly 40 hours a week. They are in the spotlight by nature of their badge, uniform and gun. Most I've known on their off-time just want to be invisible. Open Carrying brings attention to themselves (ie: possibly being preceived to be a cop--exactly what they don't want).

I feel this reason, above all others, is why most LEO don't OC, where publicly legal or acceptable.

I open carry off-duty as an isue of a) comfort b) education and enlightenment and c)becausewe can here in AZ and it's cool!!!!

On a side note, it is funny how openly excercising your rights--such as OCing--opens your mind up to a much more libertarian and self-reliant perspective.

simmonsjoe

imported post

AZkopper wrote:
kito109654 wrote:

The other important issue to consider with LEOs is that they carry a firearm publicly 40 hours a week. They are in the spotlight by nature of their badge, uniform and gun. Most I've known on their off-time just want to be invisible. Open Carrying brings attention to themselves (ie: possibly being preceived to be a cop--exactly what they don't want).

I feel this reason, above all others, is why most LEO don't OC, where publicly legal or acceptable.

I open carry off-duty as an isue of a) comfort b) education and enlightenment and c)becausewe can here in AZ and it's cool!!!!

On a side note, it is funny how openly excercising your rights--such as OCing--opens your mind up to a much more libertarian and self-reliant perspective.
It is! +1

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I think mostly it's a policy thing where they aren't even allowed to OC, and if they are, I would think that most LEO's would not want people to know that they are law enforcement outside of work.