• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does the state promote patriotism to benefit itself?

Does the state promote patriotism to benefit itself?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Primus

Primus, you always play dumb. That's your game, and that's why you don't get a real answer. Learn to use Google, ya blithering smart guy!

"adjective
modifier noun: state

of, provided by, or concerned with the civil government of a country.
"the future of state education"

It's really not that hard to understand, man. You really need the term, "state," defined for you?

Cool story bro....

Still haven't answered my simple broken down question.

I'm aware of what "state" means. Hence me asking.... Federal, state, or local.... Which no one has answered. "Civil government" can be any one of those.

Put more effort into making sense and less on attacking. It does wonders for the cause.

If you feel I'm "playing dumb" and won't give me a "real answer" based on that then that makes you just as "bad" as me. Ever hear the two wrongs don't make a right saying?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

77zach

Obviously. Well , unfortunately not obvious to enough. It's like being in a college calculus class and realizing your classmates don't know how to add fractions ( true story). State skools.

OC for ME

I think that the answer to this question is clearly "yes."

The state shoves patriotism down the throats of public school children.
Which state? The feds have little to say in the day to day runnings of a school. Also, watch the news, very little patriotism is being displayed by school systems.

Public schools (and highly regulated private schools) teach young children to obey authority without question, and that they live in the best country in the world.
This obeying stuff has little to do with patriotism and virtually everything to do with liability mitigation. Ya moght want to look that one up.

The mainstream media (aka presstitutes) gives the government's perspective on all sorts of issues, and refuses to cover issues that make the state look bad (they were cheerleaders for the invasion of Iraq, they demean those who question the government's version of events in any given incident, etc.).
When did you discover this? What a brilliant observer you are. Most impressive, this nack you have, for gleaning the obvious. If you have a issue with the "media" ya can always start your own media or find a media that most suits your political proclivities.

Primus

Which state? The feds have little to say in the day to day runnings of a school. Also, watch the news, very little patriotism is being displayed by school systems.

This obeying stuff has little to do with patriotism and virtually everything to do with liability mitigation. Ya moght want to look that one up.

When did you discover this? What a brilliant observer you are. Most impressive, this nack you have, for gleaning the obvious. If you have a issue with the "media" ya can always start your own media or find a media that most suits your political proclivities.

+1 good question

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
The OP's baggage IS the point - so far it has been his sole contribution to this forum. Look beyond the question.

Some people suck on lemons because they like the taste. Some are permanent victims, some are just pee oh'd because the sun comes up every morning.

I find his rantings humorous now.

stealthyeliminator

It has nothing to do with patriotism as you know it, the point is that the state conflates patriotism with what the OP is discussing, intentionally, to appeal to those that hold onto precisely what you're defending.

----

Defending respect of the American flag only serves to prove OP's point. The state (at every level, Primus) will applaud your patriotism in respecting the flag, despite the fact that you are respecting that flag as a symbol of principles counter to the state's existence, and then the state will fly that same flag at every one of it's institutions and unabashedly claim that flag representative of itself, stealing the respect and glory of the principles that it ignores and violates.

Last edited:

OC for ME

...Defending respect of the American flag only serves to prove OP's point. The state (at every level, Primus) will applaud your patriotism in respecting the flag, despite the fact that you are respecting that flag as a symbol of principles counter to the state's existence, and then fly that same flag at every one of it's institutions and unabashedly claim it representative of itself, stealing the respect and glory of the principles that it ignores and violates.
Well, there ya go, telling me how to think. Kind of proves the point that the Interwebz is full of opinions and ones that don't match are to be ridiculed. Look, I choose to show respect to the flag, you are under no such burden and I have no desire to burden you. It really is not that difficult. The OP is here only to rant and his rantings hold little sway over many it seems.

stealthyeliminator

Well, there ya go, telling me how to think. Kind of proves the point that the Interwebz is full of opinions and ones that don't match are to be ridiculed. Look, I choose to show respect to the flag, you are under no such burden and I have no desire to burden you. It really is not that difficult. The OP is here only to rant and his rantings hold little sway over many it seems.

The part quoted wasn't directed toward you specifically.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I didn't vote because it was a bogus survey. And if I would have I would have voted no. He did not describe patriotism, he was being dishonest.

Pretty harsh WW ... you a 49er's fan still pu-ed over my Bears victory ? lol

Should take people's words in best light is my motto.

stealthyeliminator

I voted no for the same reason. He wasn't defining patriotism.

Sounds like you are undecided/other. I think you voted no to spite the OP. It really irks me when people vote opposite of what they know just because they're able to find ambiguity in the question or have a distaste for the poller.

The Truth

I'm a "state hater" too. It just seems like a rhetorical/troll question. I support his viewpoint but I disagree with his tactics. It seems like he was asking a question so that he could get on his soapbox and rant.

IMO...

The Truth said:
Voted no because I think statism and nationalism are shoved down kids' throats by the state for their benefit and to make it appear that being a statist = being a patriot.

The option to vote "other" just seems like a way to lower the number of flat out "no" answers.

A better question would have been, "Does the state try to pass off nationalism and statism/jingoism as patriotism to benefit itself?"

stealthyeliminator

I'm a "state hater" too. It just seems like a rhetorical/troll question. I support his viewpoint but I disagree with his tactics. It seems like he was asking a question so that he could get on his soapbox and rant.

IMO...

The option to vote "other" just seems like a way to lower the number of flat out "no" answers.

A better question would have been, "Does the state try to pass off nationalism and statism/jingoism as patriotism to benefit itself?"

Well, I personally can't/won't argue with you there. I agree that would have been a better question.

state hater

Banned

That's right. Those who stand up to bullies are the real bullies.

"My country right or wrong! 'Murricuh is always right! Murricuh is gawd's chosen country!"

state hater

Banned

IMO...

Do you prefer to use kid gloves so that your statist friends and relatives will still love you?

Status
Not open for further replies.