• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Encounter - bad, really bad (borrowed from OFCC)

TFred

Can you cay "caught?"

I haven't seen anyone else comment on this yet...

The video clearly shows that eventually, the victim here does finally communicate that he has the permit, and then after a direct question, he answers that he is carrying a gun. There is no way to dispute this sequence of events.

Yet take a look at this small snip from this news article:

Driver feels like a 'victim' after encounter with Canton police officer

A court summons indicated, "Subject had concealed upon his person one .38 Cal Ruger pistol that was loaded and ready to fire. Subject did not inform police officers that he had a CCW permit through Stark County until the weapon was discovered during a pat down of his person during a traffic stop of his vehicle."​

Assuming that summons' are sworn out under oath... sounds like someone needs to be going to jail for perjury... How much more unprofessional can these clowns be?

ETA: It looks like they are in "full-out-CYA-at-all-costs-including-perjury" mode.

TFred

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I haven't seen anyone else comment on this yet...

The video clearly shows that eventually, the victim here does finally communicate that he has the permit, and then after a direct question, he answers that he is carrying a gun. There is no way to dispute this sequence of events.

Yet take a look at this small snip from this news article:

Driver feels like a 'victim' after encounter with Canton police officer

A court summons indicated, "Subject had concealed upon his person one .38 Cal Ruger pistol that was loaded and ready to fire. Subject did not inform police officers that he had a CCW permit through Stark County until the weapon was discovered during a pat down of his person during a traffic stop of his vehicle."​

Assuming that summons' are sworn out under oath... sounds like someone needs to be going to jail for perjury... How much more unprofessional can these clowns be?

TFred

Interesting. I didn't see a pat down going on. I agree, looks like a clear case of a cover-up going on. I would be interested to see if it qualifies as perjury as well.

40s-and-wfan

My condolences to the OFCC and other Second Amendment advocates in the state of Ohio. I visited your fair state a little over a week ago for a funeral and loved it. I must say though that I'm glad I didn't run into this particular police officer. He is a disgrace and an insult to all of us who have or still do wear the uniform. I can honestly say that I would not have been able to maintain my composure in the manner the driver did on the video. My mouth would have gotten me in trouble!
I hope all due resources and avenues are pursued in order to bring this police officer to the justice he deserves. In his case, I hope the unemployment line becomes one person longer. He is a disgrace and a danger to legally armed citizens all over America. Someone like this doesn't deserve to take the oath he did and doesn't deserve to be in such a capacity.
Keep us all posted and good luck in your work and know that the rest of the legally-armed and law-abiding country stand by your side in this fight!

TFred

40s-and-wfan

Seems like this officer has went from the frying pan into the fire with the second video that has surfaced. I too would like to know how many other videos exist of this officer handling himself in such a manner. How many strikes is he going to get before he's 'out' of a job??

GenkiSudo

Since not a whole lot has happened in the last few days with this, at least not until today.

I ran across a link to a 2010 dash cam video of Daniel Harless threatening another motorist with death when a firearm was found during a search (illegal?) of a vehicle.

http://www.cantonrep.com/video/x1704353901/Harless-behaving-badly-again

I just came across that this morning. I've facepalmed myself so many times with this officer I'm getting carpal tunnel and a traumatic brain injury.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Seems like this officer has went from the frying pan into the fire with the second video that has surfaced. I too would like to know how many other videos exist of this officer handling himself in such a manner. How many strikes is he going to get before he's 'out' of a job??

Seems like there are NOW 2 different WITNESSES to abuse by an officer perpetrated upon those in detention..... Wonder where this is going to go?

Seems to be a LOT of smoke here.....

color of law

Accomplished Advocate

Charges were not dropped.

"After the state finished its case, the defense argued that the prosecutor did not meet its legal burden for the weapons charge and asked the judge to throw it out before the defense took its turn. Belden agreed."

That is a rule 29 motion which the judge granted. In other words the defendant was acquitted.

If the charges were dropped the prosecution refile them and prosecute him again. Being acquitted does not allow for that, double jeopardy.