• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Evil grin...gears turning.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
.40 cal can be a bit finicky (at least an EMP 40) if the case size is too out of tolerance. I always trim new casings as they always seem to manufacturer them a bit too long.

For new brass, are you annealing before first use, or can that be done any time?
Just curious as I've never done that or even knew you really needed to.

I'm still a little green on the 40 (I spent a lot of time making fun of it:uhoh:)

I anneal somewhere around the 7th or 8th firing. It depends on the brass. Some is a lot softer than other.

mpguy

I'm still a little green on the 40 (I spent a lot of time making fun of it:uhoh:)

I anneal somewhere around the 7th or 8th firing. It depends on the brass. Some is a lot softer than other.

So, what would it cost me, to see you doing this on video? :p would love to see this done.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mpguy

When I do some, I'll video it. It really is a simple process.

Guess that beer has now turned into a six pack. Lol

I went looking for you, when I went with Old Virginia Joe to lobby day. Haven't forgotten the beer I promised. :p

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Guess that beer has now turned into a six pack. Lol

I went looking for you, when I went with Old Virginia Joe to lobby day. Haven't forgotten the beer I promised. :p

I can save you a little money. I drink on average, one beer every 4 or 5 years.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
It will be the primary currency after the apocalypse.

lol. No. It will be the single least valuable form of ammo after the apocalypse.

Edit: Unless you count .22 long and short. :p

Quite the contrary, I would expect a solitary boxer primer to be worth more than a loaded .22 LR round.

Heck, you can even reload expended boxer primers. I'd like to see you do that with a rimfire. :lol:

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'd like to see you do that with a rimfire. :lol:

I've done it...don't recommend it though.

Flatten the rim from the inside with a flat punch.
Put in a VERY SMALL drop of Mercury Fuliminate, a small wad of cotton, powder and a hard wad to hold it in place.
Add a bullet and crimp.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I've done it...don't recommend it though.

Flatten the rim from the inside with a flat punch.
Put in a VERY SMALL drop of Mercury Fuliminate, a small wad of cotton, powder and a hard wad to hold it in place.
Add a bullet and crimp.

:lol: I can definitely see myself doing that post-apocalypse.

mpguy

Picked up some primers today. 1k count.
5ypequ3e.jpg

Red Dawg

I have to agree with Marshaul...I made referecne last last year, about hoarders...I've been a revolver guy my whole life, so I got a 9mm for christmas...I still haven't got to fire it. I've looked sporadically at every chance, in 4 different states to find some dang practice ammo. I found a couple boxes of PD type, and have them, but not sure I am ready to blow them for pratice...Heck, I'd trade 2 .40 shells for a single 9mm,

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I have to agree with Marshaul...I made referecne last last year, about hoarders...I've been a revolver guy my whole life, so I got a 9mm for christmas...I still haven't got to fire it. I've looked sporadically at every chance, in 4 different states to find some dang practice ammo. I found a couple boxes of PD type, and have them, but not sure I am ready to blow them for pratice...Heck, I'd trade 2 .40 shells for a single 9mm,

I lowered my standards and bought a 9mm because I wanted something that I could find ammo for in a worst case scenario.

I've been able to find plenty so far.

Just a quick check found some at Natchez in stock.
http://www.natchezss.com/Ammo.cfm?c...ce=pj&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=49133

Use http://ammoseek.com/?cal=82 to get a good search.

Last edited:

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
they're out now.

Plenty more at other places but the price is up today. It's like watching the stock market:uhoh:

I'm going to Greentops in a little and see if they have any new powder and primers. I missed a shipment of large rifle primers by an hour the other day:mad:

What's really irritating are 22LR. It's cheaper to shoot a .17, which I don't have, than a 22 these days.

mpguy

Two local places and Walmart are clean shelved atm. Decent reloading equipment can still be had.

.45 or bust

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Anyone looking...Greentops has 9mm right now, also 45acp, 10mm, 5.56, 38 spl and a couple others.