• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Experience when stopped by memphis police

Maverick9

FYI there's something wrong with someone who gets stopped in traffic 3x per year. (I've been driving since 1967 and only been stopped once and that was in error.)

In fact, IMO, if a LEO stops you and sees you have a sparkling clean driving record for what 45 years he should be considering you his best friend, lol. That's profiling.

Last edited:

Kopis

FYI there's something wrong with someone who gets stopped in traffic 3x per year. (I've been driving since 1967 and only been stopped once and that was in error.)

In fact, IMO, if a LEO stops you and sees you have a sparkling clean driving record for what 45 years he should be considering you his best friend, lol. That's profiling.

I deserved each and every stop :lol: You could say however, there is something wrong with the way the US targets minor traffic offenses with swat teams. Europe allows faster driving on the interstate and would never stop someone for filtering, splitting lanes, responsible interstate speeding etc. It's all about perspective! Driving faster in europe is much safer though because you know what people will do. For instance, everyone will move out of your way when you flash them instead of brake checking you, sitting in the left lane, etc. No one will pass on the right, stuff like that.

However, i always tell the LEO what i was doing wrong, i never lie or give excuses or act like i dont know why i was stopped. Seems to go better for me when i do that.

Last edited:

MKEgal

Kopis said:
I thought they had to have reasonable cause to run SNs.
Supposed to, but that standard has been abused for so long it's pretty much gone.
What does the serial # of a pistol have to do with a traffic stop? Nothing. So leave it alone.

Citizen said:
if a cop is in a place that he is legally entitled to be, anything he can see with his eyeballs in plain view is fair game.
OP said he was carrying at 4:00, sitting in his car. I'm assuming the officer was on the left side of the car, which puts a person between him & the pistol, plus maybe part of the seat. OP said he had to lean forward for the gun grabber.

independence said:
If he didn't use good gun safety and placed you or others at risk, then you should speak to his superiors.
+1 Aside from the probable illegality of seizing & searching your gun, he scratched your car's roof & was unsafe, could have shot & killed you, esp. if his trigger habits were similarly bad.

skeith said:
One reason to drive with your doors locked...
+1 here too. Always lock the doors. Makes it harder for carjackers, police, etc.

Kopis said:
Ive been stopped 5 times in the last 2-3 three months and i typically get stopped 2-3 times per year anyway.
Apparently your driving habits need some revision, esp. since you say you have a flashy car.
I get stopped maybe once in 10 years.
Last time was because I was treating a 2-lane-one-way street as a 2-lane street, and not the 1-lane street the cop thought it was. I was using turn signals, checking for traffic before changing lanes, etc. So he just told me his opinion and not to do it again. He didn't ask about my being armed and I didn't tell.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

www.facebook.com/groups/WVCDL/ I don't know if I did this right so you can find it. It is a closed group and you need to join on the FB page to post and see post. I am not very good on a PC.

thanks for trying,,, but im not feeling like reading a year of faceplace yacking postings to try to find the one,
that you want me to read,,, so i gave up....

if you want to post on OCDO,,, post the words you want us on OCDO to see and read!!!

not just some links or sugestions cause that is just bull shlt...

SgtScott31

I've never disarmed on a traffic stop for the sole purpose of disarming. If I did disarm something else was going on that warranted it. I think it's courteous of the driver/holder to let me know about the weapon in the car. Like I mentioned earlier I'm more concerned with the ones who don't want to know versus the ones that do.

I'm not aware of any officers that have ever drawn their weapon just because you started the interaction with "I have a weapon...."

If that officer draws his weapon because of those four words he probably needs to choose a different career path.

Every officer has their own way of handling traffic stops. As I mentioned on the other posts they have the law (and case law) on their side. With that said, most do not abuse that advantage. I know of one trooper that had made it a practice to disarm during a stop. I don't do it, but I don't disagree with his actions. Troopers are alone and have less backup than a majority of their county/city counterparts.

p.s. I had FHP disarm me on the way to vacation in FL. I informed him who I was and where the weapon was. He asked to have it during the duration of the stop. I wouldn't have done that, but it was his stop and his procedure.

Kopis

Sgt Scott,

Thanks for sharing your insight, it was the first time I was ever disarmed so I just wanted to share. I think my only complaint was that he didn't inform me he was going to open the door and get my firearm. I know a lot of people here don't like informing but I don't mind and always do it. It ended well and he didn't cite me when he definitely should have.

OC for ME

So, if being disarmed, in principle, was not that big of a deal, is the manner in which you were disarmed of concern to you? I would have filed a complaint regarding the how you were disarmed. You seemed, to me anyway, to have been at greater risk of injury as a result of that cop's actions.

YMMV

Kopis

So, if being disarmed, in principle, was not that big of a deal, is the manner in which you were disarmed of concern to you? I would have filed a complaint regarding the how you were disarmed. You seemed, to me anyway, to have been at greater risk of injury as a result of that cop's actions.

YMMV

yes it did and does concern me. Unfortunately, i was not in a position to discuss that considering my own actions. He may have realized that as well and decide not to give me any "paperwork" with his information on it.

Grumpydan

Carry permit number

I would like to hear your argument as to why you think he "unlawfully" ran your serial number on your weapon.

Don't know if anyone has noticed or not but in Tennesse, your Driver's License number is the same as your Carry Permit number. Any LEO that runs your drivers license will be informed immediately that you have a carry permit..

Kopis

Don't know if anyone has noticed or not but in Tennesse, your Driver's License number is the same as your Carry Permit number. Any LEO that runs your drivers license will be informed immediately that you have a carry permit..

Im an AR resident with AR CCW permit though. I live about 10 minutes from TN.

Fallguy

True, but what does that have to do with the serial number of your firearm as referenced in the post you quoted?

Kopis

grumpydan mentioned that in TN your permit number is the same as your DL number. I was just responding that i didnt have a TN carry permit or DL