• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

False Arrest by the LAPD

basalt

imported post

Mike Hunt wrote:
Yes, I see where you're going with all this. But like many others on here, you seem to be starting off under the assumption that this encounter was friendly until I copped an attitude. Nope. Hands on their guns, throw me in cuffs, take my gun and demand unwarranted personal info. Believe me, I had nothing to gain by submitting to their bullying and giving them anything they asked. I also had nothing to gain by getting loud and hostile to them either. So I simply did neither.

I am aware of this "go along to get along" strategy/mentality of which you seem to bealludingto here. And maybe there's a time and place for it, but I don't believe my encounter was one of them. Sooner or later we will have to stand up to bullies, even if we know we may get our asses kicked. Because nothing will change until we do. And as for hitting the "LAPD lotto", I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but it seems to be an implication that I somehow feel this is a money-making venture. (Can't win unless you buy a ticket, right?) No oc4ever, I don't carry my gun to make money off the LAPD. Frankly I suspect that robbing banks would be less hassle if that were my intent. Like many on this forum, I carry it for honorable reasons. And I find your suggesting otherwise to be presumptuous and insulting.

Thank you for fighting for my rights. Any one can talk the talk. It takes real courage to follow through like you did. I wish you the best in your fight, and I really do hope you are able to file suit against the city and each officer.

Officers should be required to know the law- certainly at a minimum as it pertains to civil rights. It should be criminal to willingly violate someones civil rights, and it should be at a minimum gross neglligence for Officers to do so out of ignorance of the law.

You all have inspired me to begin UOC myself. I told my wife this morning and she almost had to change her pants. Then I told her I wasn't going to start until my daughter (4) goes to college (being around for my daughter at this point is more important to me than my OC rights). She said "thats good because it will take me 14 years to get ready for it." :D

So again, thank you all for fighting for what the rest of us can't, or won't...

OK...so pondering my postbefore I hit the submit button, I start to realize I have to choose between risking my livelihood and family, andmy right to be ableprotect my family. I hate this state. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Mike Hawk

imported post

Got my gun back yesterday!Took about a month and a half, with the combined B.S. and aggravation of both LAPD and DOJ. DOJ actually just sat on my letter, claiming they were waiting for "some kinda officialform or something". Yes, that was the lady's actual words. The Right People corrected them and it was mailed that day. Hats off to those guys.

As for LAPD, I got my gun back with a ****ing gash in my left handgrip!! UUGHHHH!!! Not sure how this happened, but from the looks/attitude of the snotty civil servant behind the Property window, I'm guessing she was smashing walnuts with it or something. Oh, and on top of that, they refused to give me back my ammo because "that's our policy". Maybe these folks should look up the definition of THEFT in the dictionary. ........Maybe I should just report a THEFT! Just a thought.

Now on to the next step in this whole process.........I will report it when it happens.

CARRY ON! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzU2iJ9qfXg

heliopolissolutions

imported post

Mike Hunt wrote:
Got my gun back yesterday!Took about a month and a half, with the combined B.S. and aggravation of both LAPD and DOJ. DOJ actually just sat on my letter, claiming they were waiting for "some kinda officialform or something". Yes, that was the lady's actual words. The Right People corrected them and it was mailed that day. Hats off to those guys.

As for LAPD, I got my gun back with a ****ing gash in my left handgrip!! UUGHHHH!!! Not sure how this happened, but from the looks/attitude of the snotty civil servant behind the Property window, I'm guessing she was smashing walnuts with it or something. Oh, and on top of that, they refused to give me back my ammo because "that's our policy". Maybe these folks should look up the definition of THEFT in the dictionary. ........Maybe I should just report a THEFT! Just a thought.

Now on to the next step in this whole process.........I will report it when it happens.

CARRY ON! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzU2iJ9qfXg
They did not return your ammunition?? That is appauling. Hi end defense ammo outstrips 1$ a round. I think your fight is going to be a long one.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

congratulations on at least getting your handgun back. I hope you stick with it and are able to teach these cops and the entire department a lesson.

Mike Hawk

imported post

Josey Wales wrote:
Maybe I missed it...were the charges dropped?

ETA: 12025
My apologies. I've gotten a bit ahead of myself. Yes, no charges were ever filed by the DA or CA. I think everyone involved realized that the arresting officers were lying, and declined to bluff any further.

Gundude

imported post

Mike Hunt wrote:
Josey Wales wrote:
Maybe I missed it...were the charges dropped?

ETA: 12025
My apologies. I've gotten a bit ahead of myself. Yes, no charges were ever filed by the DA or CA. I think everyone involved realized that the arresting officers were lying, and declined to bluff any further.
WTG on getting your weapon back. I guess you had the best hand and they had to fold.
I understood you had video of the arrest. Am I mistaken?

Mike Hawk

imported post

WTG on getting your weapon back. I guess you had the best hand and they had to fold.
Yep. And some other things too, which will be posted on here eventually.

Wc

imported post

Mike Hunt wrote:
Could be used for Criminal Investigation & Forensics Crime Lab Firearms, Toolmarks and Bullets.

Can you post a letter please? (from CGF?)

Anything from PRAR?

Thanks!

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Mike Hunt wrote:
Have a professional quote you a price to fix your gun (replace grip or w/e), and save the receipt when you replace that ammo.

Then go down to your local courthouse and file in small claims division. Worst case scenario you're out your $35 filing fee (or w/e it is these days) if the judge doesn't decide in your favor.

Best case scenario? My understanding is... if you don't declare a $ amount on your initial claim, you can demand (at the time of the trial) the maximum of small claim court limits ($5k or $10k?). And if the other party fails to appear you automatically win. (I'll let you put 2 and 2 together on that one.)

GWbiker

imported post

Mike Hunt wrote:
Yep. And some other things too, which will be posted on here eventually.

Congratulations on getting your handgun back.

Too bad your experience with LAPD is opposite what I face in the wild west of Arizona when a local LEO sees my OC LOADED handgun.

Tucson LEO: Excuse me is that a Sig?

Me: Yes, old West German P6 in 9mm.

For next 20-30 minutes we discuss guns, ammo and good desert shooting areas, etc....

Then, after about a half hour of chit-chat,

Tucson LEO: Well, have a nice day.

Maybe Arizona Law Enforcement Officers know the law on open carry?

Mike Hawk

imported post

GWbiker wrote:

Too bad your experience with LAPD is opposite what I face in the wild west of Arizona when a local LEO sees my OC LOADED handgun.

For next 20-30 minutes we discuss guns, ammo and good desert shooting areas, etc....

Nice. Now that's the type of "detainment" one can enjoy!

ijusam

imported post

Mike Hunt wrote:
GWbiker wrote:

what a waste of 30 min taxpayers money

GWbiker

imported post

ijusam wrote:
Mike Hunt wrote:
GWbiker wrote:

what a waste of 30 min taxpayers money

Um, LAPD defending a civil suit arising from illegal detainment and arrest of a citizen over legal UOC in California certainly would cost taxpayers a few bucks more.

Don't 'ch think?;)

markm

imported post

GWbiker wrote:

"Um, LAPD defending a civil suit arising from illegal detainment and arrest of a citizen over legal UOC in California certainly would cost taxpayers a few bucks more.

Don't 'ch think?;)"

I think so. Also, the good Zona LEO got more information from Ijusam then all of the LEOs got fromHunt who wereinvolved with Hunt's case,combined.

The good Zona LEO found out that Ijusam was a law abiding citizen who did not have a crime afoot. The good Zona LEO did not wet his diaper while doing it. The coppers involved in Mike's case required aDepends change-out. The good Zona LEO probably enjoys his job.

markm

Mike Hawk

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
Mike Hunt wrote:
Have a professional quote you a price to fix your gun (replace grip or w/e), and save the receipt when you replace that ammo.

Then go down to your local courthouse and file in small claims division. Worst case scenario you're out your $35 filing fee (or w/e it is these days) if the judge doesn't decide in your favor.

Best case scenario? My understanding is... if you don't declare a $ amount on your initial claim, you can demand (at the time of the trial) the maximum of small claim court limits ($5k or $10k?). And if the other party fails to appear you automatically win. (I'll let you put 2 and 2 together on that one.)
Thanks, and a 'good lookin out' on that one. Already received the new ones in the mail and am saving my receipts.

Mike Hawk

imported post

MarkBofRAdvocate wrote:
GWbiker wrote:

"Um, LAPD defending a civil suit arising from illegal detainment and arrest of a citizen over legal UOC in California certainly would cost taxpayers a few bucks more.

Don't 'ch think?;)"

I think so. Also, the good Zona LEO got more information from Ijusam then all of the LEOs got fromHunt who wereinvolved with Hunt's case,combined.

The good Zona LEO found out that Ijusam was a law abiding citizen who did not have a crime afoot. The good Zona LEO did not wet his diaper while doing it. The coppers involved in Mike's case required aDepends change-out. The good Zona LEO probably enjoys his job.

markm
Agreed on both points. I would think that in situations like this a LEO would get a lot more cooperation from a citizen by NOT acting like a massive Richard.