• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Family book on OPEN CARRY now on sale.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I will be on the American Trigger Sports Network www.atsn.tv talking about open carry and the kids book My Parents Open Carry today. The show will start at 3:00 PM EST and I will be on toward the end after Mark Walters.

You can watch it on-line live or anytime after the that. The show is every Wednesday and new shows run all week and then are archived.

Venator

ATTENTION
MARCH MADNESS SALE

Because we always go mad during March we are offering a 20% discount on copies of this book for the entire month. This is the lowest price yet for this unique kid’s book. No other book like this exists and you can have a copy at great savings.

Visit www.myparentsopencarry.com to see comments and for more information on My Parents Open Carry. Buy a copy for yourself and your local library.

This offer will only last until the end of March.

You can hear an interview about the book go to 64 minutes into the show. http://www.atsn.tv/index.php?option...employee-firing&catid=17:daily-show&Itemid=63

You can listen to me and Nate on Armed American Radio here. About 30 minutes in. http://armedamericanradio.org/2011/02/aar-broadcast-2-20-2011-hour-1/

Venator

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20110306/DEWITTBATH01/103060316/1494/BATH/DeWitt-Bath-residents-author-book-gun-ownership

DeWitt, Bath residents author book on gun ownership

DeWITT - Brian Jeffs and Nathan Nephew knew their idea wouldn't be popular with everyone.

But as leaders in the "open carry" movement, the two friends decided the time was right for a children's book about gun ownership, self-defense and the Second Amendment.
"We knew that it would be a little bit controversial," said Jeffs, who lives in Bath Township. "But its not crazy and it's pretty straightforward. It deals with gun safety and responsibility and has a positive message."

"My Parents Open Carry," published by White Feather Press of Hamilton, follows a day in the life of 13-year-old Brenna Strong, whose parents openly carry handguns for self-defense.

It's the first book for Jeffs, a senior state geologist, and Nephew, a software developer who lives in DeWitt. They met through the open carry movement and co-founded Michigan Open Carry Inc., which promotes firearm rights and the open carrying of firearms.

"We've both been interested in that for a while, and there were no real kids' books out there talking about guns in a good light," Jeffs said. "So, with open carry growing across the nation and in Michigan here, we thought we'd do something on the subject."
Open carry, short for openly carrying a firearm in public, is strongly opposed by gun control groups.

Jeffs and Nephew said they are concerned children are being raised with a biased view of the Constitution, and that a "wholesome family book" about gun rights might provide some balance.

The book deals with the pros and cons of openly carrying a handgun and is loosely based on his teenage daughter, Jeffs said.

"When you have gun books, it seems like it's always a male character," he said. "We wanted to make the main character a girl because more and more women are getting involved in shooting sports."

The book is attracting some attention in pro-gun circles, Jeffs said.
He and Nephew were interviewed on Armed American Radio, based in Atlanta, Ga., he said. They also appeared on American Trigger Sports, an Internet-based program.
The executive director of Gun Owners of America, a non-profit lobby based in Virginia, bought the first two copies of the book, Jeffs said.

The book is available at Michigan Guns & Gear, on Main Street in Bath, as well as online. The authors have also talked to Gander Mountain and Jay's Sporting Goods about carrying the book, Jeffs said.

If the book does well enough, more may be in the works. "We're kind of hoping that if this takes off, we could do another book," Jeffs said. "It's kind of set up for a series - more adventures with the same family based around the pro-gun theme."

Venator

Lansing State Journal today:

BOOKS STILL ON SALE SAVE 20% through March

Schneider: Author says kids' book on guns conveys 'positive message'

Written by John Schneider

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20110311/COLUMNISTS09/103110313/1016/columnists09/Schneider-Author-says-kids-book-guns-conveys-positive-message-

DeWITT - Back when my kids were young, I was required to pull a shift now and then in our parish nursery, supervising the tots at play while their parents attended Mass.

Given the venue, and the times, the toys in the nursery were aggressively anti-violent. Nothing remotely resembling a gun was allowed on the premises. Nonetheless, the boys - always the boys - found ways to shoot at each other. With interlocking building blocks shaped into an "L." With their hands (forefinger as barrel; thumb as hammer). Even with graham crackers chewed into vague gun-like shapes.

Pow! Pow! Pow!

So, maybe trying to ignore the ubiquitousness of firearms in American culture is the wrong approach.
Maybe it's about time somebody wrote a children's book like "My Parents Open Carry." If they're going to carry guns, they may as well learn how - and why. Right?

Gun rights activists

Meet the authors: Brian Jeffs is a state geologist who lives in Bath Township. Nathan Nephew is a software developer who lives in DeWitt. They're co-founders of Michigan Open Carry Inc., the gun-rights group currently challenging a Capital Area District Library policy that bans guns from the library.
Their soft-cover book was recently published by White Feather Press of Hamilton, near Grand Rapids.

Here's a description of the book from www.myparentsopen carry.com:

"Come join 13-year-old Brenna Strong along with her mom, Bea, and her dad, Richard, as they spend a typical Saturday running errands and having fun together. What's not so typical is that Brenna's parents lawfully open carry handguns for self-defense.
"The Strongs join a growing number of families that are standing up for their Second Amendment rights by open carrying and bringing gun ownership out of the closet and into the mainstream."

The book also includes some gun-safety lessons.

Self-defense

In a phone interview Thursday, Jeffs said the book's take-away message is this: "You can't rely on others to protect you. You have a natural right to self-defense. The cops do the best they can, but can't be there all the time."

Jeffs said he expects to hear some backfire from the anti-gun folks, but insisted the book conveyed a "very positive message."
Jeffs has a 16-year-old daughter named Brenna. Nephew does not have children.

"My Parents Open Carry" may be ordered through the website mentioned above. It's also available at Michigan Guns & Gear, on Main Street in Bath.
Jeffs acknowledged the book has a "niche market," adding, "It won't make the New York Times best-seller list."

Call John Schneider at 377-1175, send a fax to 377-1298 or e-mailjschneid@lsj.com.

Last edited:

Venator

Just bought my copy ;)

Hey Brian - you may want to consider offering a download version in a PDF format.

It's being looked into. Looking at format that can support illustrations. I think there is just a couple that do. Anyway we may have it as an e-book soon. I'm old fashion, I still like to handle books and this one is a large size which enhances the illustrations.

And thanks for the orders.

kcgunfan

It's being looked into. Looking at format that can support illustrations. I think there is just a couple that do. Anyway we may have it as an e-book soon. I'm old fashion, I still like to handle books and this one is a large size which enhances the illustrations.

And thanks for the orders.

As far as I know, only the Nook Color supports illustrations in books. But, you can read books in Nook format on Android phones, PCs's, Mac's, iPods, iPhones, iPads, etc. It should be almost trivial to convert the format (if it's already digital.) I have no idea what it's like to publish with B&N though.

kcgunfan

As far as I know, only the Nook Color supports illustrations in books. But, you can read books in Nook format on Android phones, PCs's, Mac's, iPods, iPhones, iPads, etc. It should be almost trivial to convert the format (if it's already digital.) I have no idea what it's like to publish with B&N though.

Because I was curious for myself, here's where you go to publish a book with BN:

http://pubit.barnesandnoble.com/pubit_app/bn?t=pi_reg_home

Looks like they set the publishing terms, and keep a big chunk of the money. Clicl on Learn Move about PubIt! for their terms.

Venator

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Great book!

Even though she's a little young to understand everything my 3 yr.old enjoys when I read it to her and likes the pictures noting " the mommy and daddy have 'gungers' like you daddy" ;)

I say this is a must read for any family that carries or owns a sidearm for self defense. Also for those families that don't to understand why some of their neighbors do.

Great job Brian & Nate!

PS - super fast shipping I got it in two days!

Last edited:

Venator

Even though she's a little young to understand everything my 3 yr.old enjoys when I read it to her and likes the pictures noting " the mommy and daddy have 'gungers' like you daddy" ;)

I say this is a must read for any family that carries or owns a sidearm for self defense. Also for those families that don't to understand why some of their neighbors do.

Great job Brian & Nate!

PS - super fast shipping I got in two days!

I am so happy to hear your daughter likes the pictures. She is young as you say, but kids are smart and don't miss much. Also I'm glad you like it. Thanks for the kind words.

P.S. Be sure to tell your friends about it. :lol:

Venator

Lansing State Journal today:

BOOKS STILL ON SALE SAVE 20% through March

Schneider: Author says kids' book on guns conveys 'positive message'

Written by John Schneider

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20110311/COLUMNISTS09/103110313/1016/columnists09/Schneider-Author-says-kids-book-guns-conveys-positive-message-

DeWITT - Back when my kids were young, I was required to pull a shift now and then in our parish nursery, supervising the tots at play while their parents attended Mass.

Given the venue, and the times, the toys in the nursery were aggressively anti-violent. Nothing remotely resembling a gun was allowed on the premises. Nonetheless, the boys - always the boys - found ways to shoot at each other. With interlocking building blocks shaped into an "L." With their hands (forefinger as barrel; thumb as hammer). Even with graham crackers chewed into vague gun-like shapes.

Pow! Pow! Pow!

So, maybe trying to ignore the ubiquitousness of firearms in American culture is the wrong approach.
Maybe it's about time somebody wrote a children's book like "My Parents Open Carry." If they're going to carry guns, they may as well learn how - and why. Right?

Gun rights activists

Meet the authors: Brian Jeffs is a state geologist who lives in Bath Township. Nathan Nephew is a software developer who lives in DeWitt. They're co-founders of Michigan Open Carry Inc., the gun-rights group currently challenging a Capital Area District Library policy that bans guns from the library.
Their soft-cover book was recently published by White Feather Press of Hamilton, near Grand Rapids.

Here's a description of the book from www.myparentsopen carry.com:

"Come join 13-year-old Brenna Strong along with her mom, Bea, and her dad, Richard, as they spend a typical Saturday running errands and having fun together. What's not so typical is that Brenna's parents lawfully open carry handguns for self-defense.
"The Strongs join a growing number of families that are standing up for their Second Amendment rights by open carrying and bringing gun ownership out of the closet and into the mainstream."

The book also includes some gun-safety lessons.

Self-defense

In a phone interview Thursday, Jeffs said the book's take-away message is this: "You can't rely on others to protect you. You have a natural right to self-defense. The cops do the best they can, but can't be there all the time."

Jeffs said he expects to hear some backfire from the anti-gun folks, but insisted the book conveyed a "very positive message."
Jeffs has a 16-year-old daughter named Brenna. Nephew does not have children.

"My Parents Open Carry" may be ordered through the website mentioned above. It's also available at Michigan Guns & Gear, on Main Street in Bath.
Jeffs acknowledged the book has a "niche market," adding, "It won't make the New York Times best-seller list."

Call John Schneider at 377-1175, send a fax to 377-1298 or e-mailjschneid@lsj.com.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/...eider-Readers-take-aim-column-children-s-book

Todays Schneider's article with emails from "true" freedom lovers about the book My Parents Open Carry. Some people are so very ignorant and live in denial.

• From Bill Rushcamp of Lansing: "I can't believe you would even put this insane idea in the newspaper.
"It is not worthy of print, and it is an open invitation to violence.
"I know you are an avid outdoorsman and hunter, and that guns are cool to you, but there is a time and place for them, and it is not carrying loaded weapons out in the open, where you might not be deterring violence, but would be daring violence to take place ...
"Why give these gun toting idiots any print at all?"
• From Carl Archambeau Sr. of Grand Ledge: "I wonder if those who feel they need to protect themselves by carrying guns do anything to promote crime prevention.
"Criminologists find that most criminal behavior is due to such things as poverty, lack of education, poor housing, inadequate medical care, child abuse and many other degrading conditions in society.
"The gun manufacturing industrial complex uses this fear and chaos to increase their business. I doubt they will ever use any of their profit for improving the social conditions that make the public so fearful. If this is the land of the free and the brave, maybe we should start acting that way and look for solutions rather than adding to the degradation."
'Too far gone'

• From Mark Johnson of East Lansing: "The authors of the open-carry book won't hear any backfire from me; they are clearly too far gone to listen to rational argument about guns and public safety.
"Statistics show that people who live in close proximity to guns are less safe than those of us who live gun free ...
"The open-carry argument will eventually be an economic one. It will be a question of whether businesses will be content to lose the patronage of those of us who will insist on shopping, dining, learning, worshipping, exercising or being entertained in a gun-free environment.
"I'm very disappointed at the free advertising you've given to this misguided 'children's' book. I thought you had a more moderate position on gun rights - that they are for sportsmen, and not as a defense against government tyranny."

PDinDetroit

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/...eider-Readers-take-aim-column-children-s-book

Todays Schneider's article with emails from "true" freedom lovers about the book My Parents Open Carry. Some people are so very ignorant and live in denial.

• From Bill Rushcamp of Lansing: "I can't believe you would even put this insane idea in the newspaper.
"It is not worthy of print, and it is an open invitation to violence.
"I know you are an avid outdoorsman and hunter, and that guns are cool to you, but there is a time and place for them, and it is not carrying loaded weapons out in the open, where you might not be deterring violence, but would be daring violence to take place ...
"Why give these gun toting idiots any print at all?"
• From Carl Archambeau Sr. of Grand Ledge: "I wonder if those who feel they need to protect themselves by carrying guns do anything to promote crime prevention.
"Criminologists find that most criminal behavior is due to such things as poverty, lack of education, poor housing, inadequate medical care, child abuse and many other degrading conditions in society.
"The gun manufacturing industrial complex uses this fear and chaos to increase their business. I doubt they will ever use any of their profit for improving the social conditions that make the public so fearful. If this is the land of the free and the brave, maybe we should start acting that way and look for solutions rather than adding to the degradation."
'Too far gone'

• From Mark Johnson of East Lansing: "The authors of the open-carry book won't hear any backfire from me; they are clearly too far gone to listen to rational argument about guns and public safety.
"Statistics show that people who live in close proximity to guns are less safe than those of us who live gun free ...
"The open-carry argument will eventually be an economic one. It will be a question of whether businesses will be content to lose the patronage of those of us who will insist on shopping, dining, learning, worshipping, exercising or being entertained in a gun-free environment.
"I'm very disappointed at the free advertising you've given to this misguided 'children's' book. I thought you had a more moderate position on gun rights - that they are for sportsmen, and not as a defense against government tyranny."

Idiots on parade...

Venator

The very definition of a Fudd.

Venator

No, the pay pal should be set up for multiple orders. For large orders good discounts are given by the publisher.

Or you can buy them from me and save shipping. I can met up with you most any afternoon.