• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Federal Way Discount guns

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Kildars wrote:
I think we need to remember that gun owners already have a bad stereotype against us and we need to use really good discretion and only use physical force when absolutely necessary because if you didn't use your gun, but you are a gun owner, they news would spin it for us "crazy gun owners"
Well, sure, I agree completely. But what about crazy gun-grabbing gun store employees who should know better giving us a bad name? :quirky I mean, that kind of thing will lead to bloodbaths in the street like the Wild West! :shock: (;))

Honestly, what this guy really deserves is a lifetime of ridicule. I'll admit that it somewhat annoys me to consider that he probably still has his job. :cuss:

Kildars

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Kildars wrote:
I think we need to remember that gun owners already have a bad stereotype against us and we need to use really good discretion and only use physical force when absolutely necessary because if you didn't use your gun, but you are a gun owner, they news would spin it for us "crazy gun owners"
Well, sure, I agree completely. But what about crazy gun-grabbing gun store employees who should know better giving us a bad name? :quirky I mean, that kind of thing will lead to bloodbaths in the street like the Wild West! :shock: (;))

Honestly, what this guy really deserves is a lifetime of ridicule. I'll admit that it somewhat annoys me to consider that he probably still has his job. :cuss:
I'm sure he does. I've had lots of bad experiences with FW discount guns. They're @#$%s, narcissistic and very intent on acting like they're holier than thou. I refuse to shop there. The crazy gun grabber should have been either suspended or let go, at least a stern talking to from the deputies but /shrug that's life.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

It sounds to me like the guy was one of those Pro-CCW, yet Anti-OC people, and wanted to "prove" that it was unsafe for the OP to carry openly by snatching his weapon, thereby proving that anyone could do it and cause a problem with the gun.

Of course, this presents a problem as 80% of the time I go in there, all of the employees are OCing ("but THAT'S DIFFERENT, don't you know, I'm a GUNSHOP employee!") and most are using holsters that rely on friction and angles for their security from a gun-grab.

I try my best to NOT give that store any of my hard-earned cash. Whenever I call, they either never answer their phone (because they're too busy to) or they tell me to call back as they're dealing with customers. That's cool, I understand that. But the thing that really urks me is that when I show up, they spend all their time on the phone instead of dealing with me! Ughh!

FMCDH

imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
I try my best to NOT give that store any of my hard-earned cash. Whenever I call, they either never answer their phone (because they're too busy to) or they tell me to call back as they're dealing with customers. That's cool, I understand that. But the thing that really urks me is that when I show up, they spend all their time on the phone instead of dealing with me! Ughh!
Their chain of stores are notoriously under staffed. I go to the Seattle location all the time, they know me by name and I still have to wait my turn. On a good day they have 3 employees with half a dozen or more customers in the store, with someone buying a new gun almost every time tying up one of the guys and another is always working in back.

They can't help how this economic and political uncertainty effects them customer wise.

As for the gun grab incident, if you got the offending employees name, send it to me in a PM and I will have a talk with the general manager. That kind of behavior is unprofessional at best, and worse its dangerous to both the store and it patrons. If I know the offending employee, I will have a side chat with him myself.

Also, let me clarify something:
The police officers didn't get involved because you didn't ask them too. If you don't ask to press charges, they simply are not going to butt in. That's the way it SHOULD be. By definition of law, what the employee did was assault, but ONLY if you claim assault. Instead you said your peace and left. To the LEOs, there is no incident if there is no claimant victim. As far as they were concerned, you had every chance to ask them to get envolved, but chose not to. Their job is to uphold the law, not to play arbator between you and a dumbass. Fighting and or arguing is not agaisnt the law in the State of Washington as long as both partys are willing participents, and as long as it dosnt endanger innocent bystandars.

triehl27

imported post

Ok couple a things,

First off I have come damned close to shooting some dumb kid outside FDG.

I walked out with my buddy and here is this kid standing just to the left of the door out of sight of the store with a hood up and sun glasses on with a Drawn Hi point pistol held at waist level and he pulls the trigger with it aimed at my gut.

Sufficient to say the store employees saw my jacket fly back my G29 come out and then the kid says "Don't worry it ain't loaded"

After we left he went in waving it around asking for a new clip for it.

That's my FDG story.

Gun grabs
Had it happen in E. Wa a few years ago. While I was conversing with my Sheriff buddy looking at a classic car. Deputy is on my left, we were standing facing the car, with the pistol on my right hip. My jacket had hung up on the butt of my pistol while I was talking to a sheriffs deputy. Some moron, came up behind me, and tries to grab it and actually got it partially out of the holster. The results were that the Moron was rushed to the hospital to have my Kershaw Folder which I spun and buried to the hilt, removed from his right shoulder. He got extremely lucky that the blade missed anything major. Half an inch any direction and they'd have buried him instead of questioned him.

His official statement was he wanted the deputy to know I had a gun, so he crept up quietly behind me and the deputy and then attempted to grab it from my holster while I was talking. It never cleared the holster but got far enough out to fall when I spun and stuck the guy in the shoulder.

The Guy admittd he was "Creeping up on me to get the gun" In the end he was dubbed stupid, but seemed to have no harmful intentions, just stupid ones.

I had absolutely no warning til he grabbed it. I reacted purely on instinct. I pulled the Kershaw leek with my left hand while I was spinning to my right to get the gun away from where I thought the grab was coming from. The knife entered just under his collar bone in the right shoulder.

No charges filed, against me, official explanation. "There is only one reasonable reason someone, Non LE would attempt to take a weapon away in such a manner, and that is to do harm to the carrier with it, therefore self defense is warranted to prevent harm or death. You cannot ever just suppose that the attempt to take away a legally carried weapon is a joke or a farce. "

Gun on the right, fast folder on the left. Not quite a NY reload, but they get the point...

Had a former supervisor try the same thing when I was in uniform with a Safariland Level 4 holster on. Only I knew he was gonna do it, and was nice enough to leave the blade closed as I pushed it against his neck during retention drills, (we were not practicing when he made the attempt, but I knew he was gonna try it). He went albino on me when he realized that if it was serious he would have had the knife in his throat.

The only reason someone grabs for your gun is to take it and cause you harm, any other thought in a harmful situation will get you killed or at least hurt. That was what my training was. Discretion has it's place but not during a gun grab. You do everything in your power to protect that weapon until the threat is gone or you can employ that weapon in your own defence.

You have to be pretty stupid to grab at a gun. You do that to a cop you are shot.

sirpuma

imported post

What I was taught by NM Fish and Game was keeping the elbow close to the butt of the gun at all times (as much as possible). If someone grabs for it you clamp down on their hand with your arm and turn into them, moving with the direction of the pull, to keep the firearm in the holster. Then as you turn grabbing their hand and do nasty things to the fingers and wrist.

I should keep my fast folder on me, but don't have a suitable quick draw method for it.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

triehl27 wrote:
Ok couple a things,

First off I have come damned close to shooting some dumb kid outside FDG.

I walked out with my buddy and here is this kid standing just to the left of the door out of sight of the store with a hood up and sun glasses on with a Drawn Hi point pistol held at waist level and he pulls the trigger with it aimed at my gut.

Sufficient to say the store employees saw my jacket fly back my G29 come out and then the kid says "Don't worry it ain't loaded"

After we left he went in waving it around asking for a new clip for it.

That's my FDG story.

Wow that kid is lucky he isn't dead. He needs to be grounded from his gun, what an idiot.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

triehl27 wrote:
No charges filed, against me, official explanation. "There is only one reasonable reason someone, Non LE would attempt to take a weapon away in such a manner, and that is to do harm to the carrier with it, therefore self defense is warranted to prevent harm or death. You cannot ever just suppose that the attempt to take away a legally carried weapon is a joke or a farce. "
I'm glad to hear the police agree with me.

Like I said, it's certainly better that the employee in the OP's story wasn't shot, but had he been our OCer would have been perfectly within his rights.

Gun grabs are an application for the Darwin Award whether you're a "bad" guy or not.

FMCDH

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Gun grabs are an application for the Darwin Award whether you're a "bad" guy or not.
Right along with strangers who aim "unloaded" pistols at you and pull the trigger in "jest".

There is no way that person would been given the chance to pull the trigger a second time. I would have to assume that his gun failed to fire, and that I need to make sure one way or another he doesn't get a chance to clear it and pull the trigger again.

Having a witness with me, and my own gun drawn on him after the first trigger pull, he would not have been walking away that day of his own free will. I would have shot him or disarmed him and had him arrested had I found myself under same situation.

Who knows how many other people he had done that to that day, before or since. That is exactly the type a person that should NOT be allowed to carry a gun.

Wheelgunner

imported post

Triehl27

Right On!

I am not as fast with the folder, but I had the same situation in my youth. Standing on a street corner in front of the now defunct Central Gun store in downtown Seattle talking with a (still) good friend Jim Pike. A feeling of a gun grab (At the time I thought my weapon was slipping out of its holster!) my hand came in contact with his hand pulling on my weapon! Thus leading to a kid (maybe 16) slammed against the wall with my derringer BUG against his neck. He released my pistol before it got far enough out of the holster to fall. His excuse: "I just wanted to see it." He had seen the holster end beneath my vest, heard us talking gun talk and thought it would be cool to see it.

My fault, I had seen the kid, but since I was in front of a gun store, talking with a gun guy, I was "in the White" and took my eyes off him and turned my back to him.

The adrenalin rush caused me to be sick and gave me nightmares for a week.

As to the Gun store employee, reaching for someones weapon is the equivalent of reaching for someones groin; something that only should be done with permission. If you grab at my crotch without permission (no matter what your motives are) I am going to react badly. :X

29er

imported post

triehl27 wrote:
with a Drawn Hi point pistol held at waist level and he pulls the trigger with it aimed at my gut.

I thought that was a crime (misdemeanor) under RCW 9.41.230. Any reason not to get law enforcement involved?

Stuart959

imported post

I have a hard time believing anyone at that shoppe could be so careless... I have purchased all my guns there due to good service and prices all I can hope for is that dipstick was fired.

Sasquatch

imported post

I've purchased two guns from DGS (Seattle store), but will never buy another anything from them. About a year ago, I was picking up my second purchase and I was chatting with the guy retrieving my rifle - as anyone might. I don't remember the exact lead up to the statement - but the guy assisting me basically said he thinks all firearms should be registered with the Federal Govt, and would have no problem going door to door to confiscate should that ever become law. Big muscle bound blonde dude. I think I remember a former DGS employee friend of mine telling me later this guy happened to be in law school while working at DGS.

Don't know if he still works there - doesn't matter. Not what I expect to hear from my local gun dealer, and I can (and have) happily taken my business to a shop that understands why the 2nd Amendment exists in the first place.

Does your gun grab guy fit this description?