• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Felony Conviction 13 years ago for 3rd DWI - Will I Ever Get My Right To Carry Back?

ODA 226

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
And obviously you've never had to hose the blood of a nine-year-old off the street after she was ejected from a car that was hit head-on by a drunk driver. If you had, your views would be completely different.

Oh please, you sound like an anti whining about "gun violence".

You know better than that...All I'm saying is that our opinions are formed by our experiences and this experience made me dead set against drinking and driving forever.

This guy didn't make a mistake once...HE WAS CAUGHT THREE TIMES! How many times wasn't he caught? You can trust him with a firearm, but I never would.

Viorel

imported post

Sorry for my general noobness of kicking up a topic from a past page, but there are some points that weren't covered in this (very) long topic that I would like to chime in on.

First, I agree with SFC's comments about how some crimes should be looked past after a certain duration of time, but I also agree with Jeremy that this isn't one of them.

All I had to read is this to come to that conclusion:

want2carry wrote:
I've been letting most of this roll off my back because no one here knows the circumstances of my situation.
The statement above says "after 13 years, I'm still making excuses". Honestly, using the "you people don't understand" line only works once because yeah, like SFC has stated, we're all stupid...and hopefully no one got hurt. The second time basically projects that you could care less about yourself or anyone else & are a danger to society. The third time shows you're just a dirtbag (reflecting a type of personality, not calling you names) who needs to be removed from the public.

Be honest with yourself and tell me you've never gone to dinner, had three drinks in less than an hour, and driven home from a restaurant to your home (one situation of mine). You were driving while intoxicated. Also realize that driving drunk and driving while intoxicated are two very different things. Intoxication is relative - but not to the government. Everyone is intoxicated to them at "this point" according to them regardless of size or tolerance.
1. Just because others have done it makes it less serious? I mean let's look at SFC's angle. You, now as a rehabilitated & responsible member of society I would assume that the concept would be well learned, given your experience...especially when it's one taught to 5 year olds. Yet not only are you suggesting otherwise, but you're trying to downplay it with semantics.

Maybe you're just a late bloomer?

2. Have I ever pulled a stunt like that when I was young? Guilty as charged. After I woke up the next day and realized what I did, it bothered me enough never to do it again (enough to be the designated driver for our group). It's called taking responsibility for your own actions...and thanking the almighty it ended under those circumstances.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not excusing what I did...
How are we supposed to read you excusing what you did then?

...and I'm not saying its right but to be so vehemently attacked and judged shows such a lack of empathy or understanding as to make one wonder who is really the dangerous one with a gun.
Ok, let's do a fair comparison. On one hand you have people who have avoided seriously violating the law, or have learned from mistakes the first time. On the other, you have someone who has repeatedly put himself in the position to where he not only endangered himself, but others as well...then years later still doesn't "get it".

You're actually wrong sir. I don't wonder at all who would really be dangerous with a firearm.

Those of you who are high and mighty have an obvious lack of compassion as to make others question "your" decision making process. To even think or believe that my "non violent" conviction deserves life long judgement and punishment is an indication as to how "you" would react with such an imposing weapon (a gun).
Don't flatter yourself. The only thing that made your conviction non violent was luck.

I was young... I was punished... and I am now an active and productive member of society. What I did is no longer even close to an issue in my life. I am educated, have a family, and a very good and professional career. The executives in my company are aware of my past record and choose to look at my life, and accomplishments, as a whole rather than come to a quick and hasty judgement because of a very short period in my life.
If the DA states you're fine, kudos. If not, you sleep in the bed you made.