• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fighting the good fight?

M

McX

imported post

What I realy, realy don't like is that the paper is making statements and quotes to the general public, to set their frame of mind, BEFORE the matter is even heard in the courts. If anyone read the paper how could they be selected for a fair and impartial jury if the matter goes to trial? I wonder if the court will allow Open Carriers to serve on that jury in equal balance. Their statements in that editorial offend me. I don't think the First Amendment should be allowed, nor used as a shield for Defamation of Character in ANY circumstance!

thelongone13

imported post

Interceptor_Knight wrote:
thelongone13 wrote:
But the guy who showed up with an AR-15... Longer range weapons... Not quite. Heart's in the right place but mind...

The range of a weapon has nothing to do with your right to carry it. That is the mind set of the gun grabbers who want to ban the .50 BMG.His mental state should notbe in question just because he chose to carry his AR15.

It is a fight for public opinion though, including the opinion of the civilian police force which we will inevitably encounter. At this time, even though it is your right, the ignorant perception that black rifles are evil is still out there. Just because you can does not mean that you should. Starting out on the conservative side with only holstered handguns makes sense from a political strategy point of view.
No no no no no no no... I'm sorry I wasn't really all that clear. I don't think it's a great idea to OC an AR 15 at a political event... If I saw some guy lugging a .50 Barret or an AK or AR down the street, I'd probably either not give a crap or go on and on about how cool his gun is. Or strike up a conversation... And blcak rifles (the term I know) applies to actual black market weapons acquired illegally and usually used with evil intent. Armalite Rifles (what AR actually stands for to those who were unaware) are one of the absolute coolest things on the face of the planet. My wife's obsessed with them, as am I. but back to the point, I agree, start with a holstered handgun. If people actually become more comfortable with this, then the rifles can follow, but I'd still rather not OC a longer ranged weapon near a politician unless they advertise it's OK to do at their rally.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

thelongone13 wrote:
And blcak rifles (the term I know) applies to actual black market weapons acquired illegally and usually used with evil intent. Armalite Rifles (what AR actually stands for to those who were unaware) are one of the absolute coolest things on the face of the planet.
These days, Black Rifle is a commonly used term when discussing the ignorantly labeled "assault rifle" and not just the AR based rifles. Often you will see EBR (evil black rifle) or BRD (black rifle disease) used by black rifle fans. AR simply stands for the name Armalite. The current manufacturer has no affiliation to the orignal Armalite corporation which sold the rights to the AR15 in the late 50s to Colt. The original AR15 was full auto and became the M16 when adopted by the US military. You will see M16A1 receiversmarked AR15 on them. Eventually Colt sold semiautomatic AR15 rifles to the public.