• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Finally a good video re: police encounter with OCer's

OC for ME

<snip> I think if more of the public witnesses these type of encounters, the more informed the general public will become on gun laws. I have never been asked for identification, and only asked once why I choose to carry openly. I understand my right to remain silent, and that I am not required to present ID unless I am detained for suspicion of committing a crime. Most LEOs that approach are generally responding to a phone complaint, and once there and determine that there is no threat, explain to the person reporting the situation and educate them on the law. This is part of the job of an Officer of the peace and I see nothing wrong with this as long as the open carry citizen is not harassed.
]Valid point. Who defines "being harassed"? Trick question. The courts have already decided, the citizen is not the one who gets to decide when he is being harassed.

If a MWAG call is being serviced, how does making contact with the OCer address the "no threat" is present determination? Why must the cop make contact, when with his own eyes he can glean all the information he needs to make a threat assessment.....not seeing a crime in progress, no? But, a crime was reported, was it not? I mean, a citizen OCing is a crime else a cop would not be dispatched to investigate.....right?

Food for thought, nothing more.

Welcome to OCDO.