• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Day OC'ing..... First OC'ing Comment from J.Q.Public

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

My first exposure to firearms was through a friend's father's collection. His dad was in WWII (European theater) and brought back a nice little collection for himself. A Mauser, a Luger, a short .32 as I recall, his own carry 1911 Colt's, and a prized fully functional MP40 (could have been the MP38 for all I knew). Thing is, this submachine gun was operational and my friend and I used to play for hours in his back yard with several of these real guns - the MP40 included. He also had, what I seem to remember, an 1861 Springfield that had been passed down through the family from the war (for Southern Independence - they were from Columbia, SC). Yes, I know the Springfield was a U.S. Army piece, however many found Southern hands when picked up from dead union soldiers.

In today's climate, this father would be thrown in jail and his children stolen for foster homes. But back then, no one thought any harm was being done (we tended to play with his guns when he was at work).