• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First LEO encounter... Confronted at gunpoint

estcrh

Gunslinger

Email I got this morning

Mr. Fauntleroy,

We received your letter and acknowledge your concerns. After reviewing your letter, it is my understanding that you felt the Deputies had no right to detain, and disarm you. Under LA CCRP 215.1 a law enforcement officer has the right to stop a person in a public place who he reasonably suspects is committing, has committed, or is about to commit an offense. The officer can demand the persons name, address, and an explanation of his actions. It also states that if the officer finds a dangerous weapon, he may take and keep it until the completion of the questioning. The Louisiana Constitution does state the following; "The right of each citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be abridged, but this provision shall not prevent the passage of laws to prohibit the carrying of weapons concealed on the person. My recommendation to you is that you apply for a concealed hangun permit if you plan on carrying your weapon openly on a regular basis. If not, there is a good chance you will be stopped and questioned on a regular basis. One of the reasons for this is due to the fact that the law prohibits certain individuals from carrying a weapon. Law enforcement has no way of knowing if that person is restricted or not unless they stop question and run that subject. I will speak with the Deputy in order to see if in fact he understands the state Constitution regarding to the above matter. I hope this answers any questions you might have had.

Captain J. Snell
Internal Affairs
The law also prohibits certain individuals from smoking or driving a car. It does not give the cops any more authority to detain you than one of them on a whim. Typical cop bullshit. When they run into someone who has the resources and/or knowledge to take them to court they'll learn an expensive lesson.

georg jetson

I asked if you knew the laws and rulings that regulate what a law enforcement officer can and can not do when confronting with a person who is open carrying in public in a legal manner. I will take it that you do not know as your answer had nothing to do with my question.

The fact that you are OCing is irrelevant... the rules are the same.

georg jetson

All your legal shim sham talk and you do not know the answer even though you tell everyone here that its their duty to know the law and be your own attorney.

I will gladly help people find information, but I won't hand feed lazy people. You want me to answer your questions then you had better learn to be a bit more respectful. Law takes READING... do some and then ask INFORMED questions.

If you know what LEOs can do when making contact with a citizen, then you know what LEOs can do when making contact with an openly armed citizen. HINT!! The rules are the SAME.

estcrh

I will gladly help people find information, but I won't hand feed lazy people. You want me to answer your questions then you had better learn to be a bit more respectful. Law takes READING... do some and then ask INFORMED questions.

If you know what LEOs can do when making contact with a citizen, then you know what LEOs can do when making contact with an openly armed citizen. HINT!! The rules are the SAME.
Learn to interpret what you are reading correctly..I asked if you knew the laws and rulings..I did not ask you to tell them to me.
So George, do you know what a La. law enforcement officer is and is not allowed to do when confronting a person who is open carrying a gun in a way that allowed by current laws.

kimber10mm

man that FQ in that $hithole of NO is something
seems i remember YOU asking ME what kind of town i lived in, remember?

im just up the creek from you and we dont have that crap happenin here, yet!

The funny thing about my situation was that right before I tried to get the commander of the 8th dist police to publicly acknowledge my right to open carry I had to defend myself while open carrying by shooting at an armed man who pulled a gun from his waist band on my street in the middle of the night in the Quarter and there was no mention of charging me with any crime.........Let us know what response you get when you contact the police in the city were your incident occurred.[/QUOTE]

estcrh

man that FQ in that $hithole of NO is something
seems i remember YOU asking ME what kind of town i lived in, remember?

im just up the creek from you and we dont have that crap happenin here, yet!

The funny thing about my situation was that right before I tried to get the commander of the 8th dist police to publicly acknowledge my right to open carry I had to defend myself while open carrying by shooting at an armed man who pulled a gun from his waist band on my street in the middle of the night in the Quarter and there was no mention of charging me with any crime.........Let us know what response you get when you contact the police in the city were your incident occurred.
[/QUOTE]

Yea your right. not much crap happens in the swamp. Maybe I should move there to. Funny how you make idiotic comments on other peoples cities but do not mention were this fantastic place were you live is located.