• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First letter - Saukville ban on assembled firearms

icepik

imported post

Hello board, first time poster here.

Little about me, I'm Jason, 32, living in Grafton, WI. Haven't OC'd yet here, but I've only recently purchased my first firearm, Glock 21 (.45), and am spending my time researching this whole process of OC as well as following the concealed carry progress, or lack there of...

With that being said, I have taken interest in this particular post because of the location. Saukville is very close to me.

First of my 2 part reply here...

I'm wondering what the progress and/or final result was from this ordinance change request since the last post was from a month ago?

Second part of my reply...

I own a small store in Cedarburg, and while searching through the city ordinances for an unrelated issue, I came across the firearm section. I decided to read through it to see how it applies to me, and low and behold, there was a couple sections that seemed very familiar to what was found in Saukville. It also doesn't allow for OC of any firearm in the city by the way it is written. I'd like to approach Cedarburg about getting this ordinance changed, and based on what has happened in Saukville, I may be able to reference that change. With that being said, since I'm very new to this, I would appreciate any input/ideas of how to best approach this issue so I can reach the desired resolution?

I haven't researched any other small community around me yet, Grafton, Port Washington, Thiensville, etc... to see if they have a similar ordinance, but if Saukville was succesful in changing, and I can get my feet wet with Cedarburg, I'll be more than happy to tackle as many communities around here as need be.

I'll try to attach a copy/paste of the Cedarburg sections as a file, but apologize if I can't make it work. I've highlighted the wording in BOLD RED on the attachment.

In case it doesn't work, here's the information:

Municiple Code: http://www.ci.cedarburg.wi.us/City_Info_Municipal_Code.htm

Sec. 11-2-1 & Sec. 11-2-2

Geoff

imported post

Welcome to the forum Icepik. I have not yet heard back from the chief about this issue and assume it is still in the hands of the attourney. Tomorrow I'll send him an e-mail and see what the status is. Being new to the area, I haven't looked into the neighboring communities ordinances, but I'd be happy to work on them with you.

Geoff

icepik

imported post

Thanks for the welcome!

I look forward to what the response is from Saukville.

While I was sitting around tonight, I took a look through some other city ordinances here, Grafton & Thiensville so far, and they have the SAME ordinance on their books. Looks like they're from back in the late '70's or early '80's...so it's sat un-noticed for many years, very much similar to Saukville. Appears that this county is a little behind the times, so we shall move forward to shed the light on these old rules.

Looks like I, or we if you want to help, have some work ahead to do...

Need to get these ordinances changed.

Once I have a plan, I'll hit them all in one full swoop...I have quite a bit of free time on my hands right now.

Thanks again for any help or advice.

Jason

icepik

imported post

AaronS wrote:
PM sent to both of you. Oh and welcome icepik.
Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for the e-mail.

While researching more today, I've come across more that still have this old ordinance on the books.

More interesting though is the ordinance I found in Sheboygan. I've started a new thread about it here: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum57/35334.html

Appears to me, at least the way I read it, they offer concealed carry permits. Now, before anyone gets their undies in a bunch, I know they'll most likely never issue that permit, and they most likely didn't intend for it to appear as a concealed carry permit, it reads that way none the less.

Go check out that thread and let me know what you all think.

As for this thread, with all the locals that I'm finding with this old ordinance, I think a bigger picture solution is in order. I'm pondering what I can come up with to handle this in one full swoop, instead of each and every city, town, etc...

Thanks again for all the help so far everyone!

Jason

AaronS

imported post

Well , just got a new mail from Grafton. Sounds good so far.

Good Morning Mr. Sky:

I just spoke to the Chairman of the Public Safety Committee regarding your request to have the open carry ordinance removed from the books. The Chairman has directed that the issue be placed on the January 12, 2010 Public Safety Committee agenda for discussion. The meeting will be held at the Village of Grafton Police Department, 1981 Washington St., Grafton, WI, at 6:00 pm.

Since the meeting is being held in a government building which is also within 1000 feet of a school, you will not be able to carry a firearm to the meeting.

Sincerely,

Charles E. Wenten

Chief of Police

Village of Grafton Police Department

1981 Washington St.

Grafton, WI 53024

cwenten@village.grafton.wi.us

(262) 375-5320 Office

(262) 375-5338 FAX

icepik

imported post

AaronS wrote:
Well , just got a new mail from Grafton. Sounds good so far.

Good Morning Mr. Sky:

I just spoke to the Chairman of the Public Safety Committee regarding your request to have the open carry ordinance removed from the books. The Chairman has directed that the issue be placed on the January 12, 2010 Public Safety Committee agenda for discussion. The meeting will be held at the Village of Grafton Police Department, 1981 Washington St., Grafton, WI, at 6:00 pm.

Since the meeting is being held in a government building which is also within 1000 feet of a school, you will not be able to carry a firearm to the meeting.

Sincerely,

Charles E. Wenten

Chief of Police

Village of Grafton Police Department

1981 Washington St.

Grafton, WI 53024

cwenten@village.grafton.wi.us

(262) 375-5320 Office

(262) 375-5338 FAX
I'll put this on my calendar.

Just like the chief to feel the need to point out to us, apparent idiots, that we can't carry in this building.

Empty holster it shall be...

icepik

imported post

Geoff wrote:
Welcome to the forum Icepik. I have not yet heard back from the chief about this issue and assume it is still in the hands of the attourney. Tomorrow I'll send him an e-mail and see what the status is. Being new to the area, I haven't looked into the neighboring communities ordinances, but I'd be happy to work on them with you.

Geoff
Hello Geoff,

Just wondering if you got that response this week at all?

I'm going to be visiting the Grafton Chief on Monday, and I can swing over to Saukville too if need be. Unless you've heard something that is.

Thanks!!!

Jason

Geoff

imported post

Jason, I got lazy and didn't even e-mail the chief until this afternoon. If you want to contact him, feel free but I'll give him until Wed before I try again. If more folks show interest in this, it is more likely to go in our favor.

Thanks,
Geoff

icepik

imported post

It's ok, I didn't make it to see anyone yesterday, ended up having some last minute things to get done.

With this week being x-mas, I'll be trying to get around to see them early next week.

I'll keep ya posted with what I find out, and hopefully you'll have a response of some sorts before them to let us know about.

Thanks.

Jason

icepik

imported post

Just wanted to update any followers here.

The meeting at Grafton tonight went well. You can read about it on the Grafton Meeting thread.

The Grafton police chief mentioned that Saukville will be discussing this issue at the Safety meeting this Thursday, January 14th at 5:30pm.

Anyone that wants to go should be at this meeting.

I'll be there and hope to see some of you there!

Jason

icepik

imported post

Yeah, after I heard from Grafton about this, I came home and checked the Saukville website.

The meeting is listed on the calendar, but the agenda is not posted on the agenda list.

Not sure what's up with that.

I'll see ya there though.

Jason

icepik

imported post

Meeting in Saukville is tonight at 5:30 according to the Saukville Calendar.

They will be discussing the topic from this thread.

Hope to see some of you there!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!!!

Jason

AaronS

imported post

I feel bad about this, but I am going to have to miss this one tonight. Please fill me in on what the "new" law is all about. Hope it is what we were wanting.

Aaron

Geoff

imported post

It wasn't quite what I wanted, but not too far off. They removed the clause about recreational areas, but left everything else that was in the Nov. proposed amendment. Now it effectively says that you can't discharge a firearm within the village limits, and if in a public park the firearm must be unloaded and encased.

The village board will vote and probably amend this on Tuesday.

The chief swears by what the village attorney tells him, and the attorney follows our neighboring communities. Chief Melloy was not aware of the attorney having contacted the AG's office. That is a disappointment to me, but my biggest hurdle (the 'broken down' part) has been resolved.

Overall the Chief has been helpfull to me (far more than most police chiefs/town boards,) so I appreciate his effort.

Icepik, it was nice to meet you.
AaronS, I wish you could have made it but neither Ice nor I needed to add anything tonight anyways.

Have a good one,
Geoff