• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First time handgun

Weak 9mm

imported post

Sorry if I came across that way, but I did NOT think you were attacking me at all. I was "defending" my position so to speak, but I wasn't being defensive IMO. It does appear that you're ignoring the fact that I keep telling you I've researched all of this heavily.

Just like you have on this forum repeated the historic "fast and slow needs a 5" barrel" meme, which is not longer true for many modern cartridges, others comment on the ".40 is better than 9mm" meme which is for the most part also no longer true for a typical SD user.
Where did I say anything needed a 5" barrel? I'm not being defensive, I just don't recall saying that at all. I recall saying that testing is often performed with a 5" barrel when using .45ACP ammo, while 4" barrels are often used for 9mm and .40S&W. I don't think I implied either one needed the other. I said that to state that comparisons are less valid when using different barrel lengths, and the extra inch likely increases the performance of many .45ACP rounds. This can make them look a bit more powerful when compared with a different caliber tested out of a shorter barrel. I never said it was a huge difference, and nobody's ever told me about the fact that the test barrels are often different between those calibers, so I'm not just repeating some "meme." I simply noticed it during all of the research I've done. I did not say either one required a certain length barrel. I don't say generalized statements like, "no .45ACP will work in a 3" barrel," ever.

I did say, and correctly IMO, that the comparison is invalidated by using different barrel lengths. That is the truth, as velocity does change with change in barrel length. I don't see how that could be argued. There are a few rounds that perform better out of short barrels, because they were designed to. Most seem to gain velocity with increased barrel length though. I'm really not seeing where I go around saying these "meme's" you speak of. I DO NOT make claims that are unsubstantiated. I won't just say something because I heard it somewhere once, that's what sheep and parrots do. If I say something, it's generally because I've seen a good bit of evidence supporting that fact. To claim that what I've just stated is similar to a statement such as "the .40S&W is better than 9mm," is honestly a bit insulting to my intelligence.

The comments were about CA switching to .40 cal and you responded that it doesn't have much of an advantage. I responded directing attention to the reason that the .40 cal even exists which answers the question as to why they switched and gives the historical context of why the 9mm wasn't sufficient. Note I said the caliber performance at the time.

The problem is that the statement you responded to (My statement) was in fact a response to the very same statement you're making here. It was stated by another forum member. You just repeated what he said above my post, rather than providing real evidence. I didn't ask him why they changed, I only said that it's not evidence that the .40S&W currently outperforms the 9mm.

Again, I'll tell you that I've already read about all of these calibers and I've already read about the 10mm and the fact that they had to make it so weak there was no need to have a case that long. Hence the .40S&W. I already know all of this, you're not telling me anything new. What I asked for is actual evidence supporting a massive difference in performance, such as actual ballistic testing. One incident from 22 years ago, that I've already told you I'm almost certain I've already read about, is useless in that comparison. I'm not sure why you even brought it up. I did see that you mentioned that the difference was greater at that time. Again, what does that have to do with today's ammo and the "massive" difference people often imply exists between the 9mm and .40S&W today? I was not talking about 22 years ago, I was talking about today.

Most experts seem to agree that, clinically, the most effective common SD pistol calibers are .357, .45, .40 in that order. 10mm, .41AE, .44Mag etc are not usually included in such lists as they are not in that "common" category as I understand things. There is great debate still over that "ranking". Modern ammunition and the spread of firearm ownership makes that "ranking" even less viable as placement of a good SD round is more important to an SD handgun owner than caliber.
I don't disagree with any of this, all I said is the difference between the 9mm and the .40S&W is very small. Not 22 years ago, but today. I did not say that because I pulled it out of my ass, I said it because they expand and penetrate similarly. They have similar muzzle energies and velocities. They have similar starting diameters. They simply aren't very far apart at all, although many people would have you believe otherwise. You keep thinking I'm some idiot that only thinks there's one good caliber. You also seem to ignore the fact that I've told you repeatedly that I've researched pretty much all of the standard (And unusual) handgun cartridges available today. It's like I'm talking to a brick wall. I'm always talking about how with today's ammunition the difference in performance is quite small between the standard 3 handgun calibers (9mm, .40, .45), but particularly between the 9mm and the .40S&W. If you have real evidence pointing to the fact that the .40S&W massively outperforms the 9mm, for the 100th time, I'm open to it. It needs to be significant, not a single incident or a single test. I didn't form my "opinon" based on that little evidence, so it will take more than that to change it.

You seem to think that if you keep telling me things I already know enough times that I'll ignore all of the actual performance analyses I've read and performed on countless rounds in each caliber. These analyses usually take into account muzzle velocity and energy (Taking barrel length into account), performance in bare ballistic gelatin and through various barriers and finally real world performance via emailing writers of gun and ammunition reviews. The calibers I can think of off the top of my head that I've looked into heavily include:

.22LR, .32ACP, .32NAA, .380Auto, 9x18mm, 10mm, .45ACP, .45LC, .38 Special, .357 Sig, .357 Magnum, 9x23mm Winchester, 9x25mm Dillon, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, 5.56x45mm, .223 Remington, 7.62x51mm, .308 Winchester, 7.62x39mm, 7.62x54mm, 410ga, 20ga, 12ga.

To sum up, there are a lot of ideas and beliefs about firearms and ammunition which have their roots in the history of the development of certain calibers, types of firearms and historic capabilities of various calibers. There is also a big difference in performance characteristics of ball/FMJ ammo and various SD ammos. If someone makes a comment based on historic fact (the reason for switching from .38 special and 9mm to .40 for example), the answer must be couched in terms of the historic context. That is one part of the answer and is different from the facts of current ballistic ability of the most modern SD ammunition available in various calibers. If both sides of the issue are not addressed within their individual contexts, then the reader asking the question is left with cognitive dissonance as the answer on the surface contradicts obvious realities.
You really don't believe I've read anything about ammuniton or personally tested it, do you? It's ridiculous that you're telling me there's a difference in performance between FMJ's and JHP's, and between various manufacturer's ammo within a caliber. Now it appears that you don't even believe I've looked at anything but one particular round of 9mm ammo. Of course that must be why I like the 9mm and any intelligent person would obviously see otherwise, right?

That is truly insulting considering the posts I regularly make concerning data and testing of all sorts of ammunition within numerous calibers. I was dead set on buying a 10mm auto for a long time. I did not want anything less to be honest. Many months of research, emailing and discussion of performance data and real world shootings led my opinions to change about certain calibers. I am not saying a 10mm is weak by any means, that actually is a significant bump in power over a 9mm, .40S&W and .45ACP.

I still don't know why you'd again repeat what I already said I've read about and fully understand and then dodge the real request of my post, which is to show me the evidence of a large difference in performance. Also satisfactory would be to prove that the 9mm is insufficient in any number of ways (ie- Always fails to meet FBI minimums, fails through barriers, fails to expand similarly to .40S&W, etc.). I need to see the tests proving this though. I can show you quite a few demonstrating the exact opposite, but I am open to anyone proving me wrong with some good solid evidence to the contrary.

What this situation is like is this:

I compare two modern vehicles (Of identical weight and both having nice flat torque curves) with different engines. One is a turbocharged 4 cylinder with 380hp and one is a normally aspirated V8 with 400hp. I agree that there is a small difference in performance. But when I ask you to show me the massive difference in the 1/4 mile times, you instead give me a history of the I4 and V8, stating that 22 years ago a certain manufacturer's I4 was replaced with a V8 because of a difference in power at the time. You never address the current 1/4 mile times and you ignore the fact that I've already told you I've read about everything you're saying.

Do you see what I'm saying here? It doesn't address the issue I was addressing, and again you haven't told me anything I didn't already know. I don't get why you keep saying this over and over. Show me the massive performance difference, I was not asking why they switched. Someone else brought that up as being sufficient evidence that the .40S&W significantly outperforms the 9mm, which I completely disagree with. Evidence would be something along the lines of ballistic testing with a good scientific method applied to the analysis. Just because it's a current fad to think that the .40S&W significantly outperforms the 9mm doesn't make it true. Just because "everybody's saying it" doesn't mean it's true either. That isn't how I get my "opinions." My "opinions" are more facts than opinions because they come from real data, with large samples and many different factors being considered.

Weak 9mm

imported post

It is a very nice little gun. Federal's .380 Auto Hydrashock averaged about 12" (Corrected) of penetration at an expanded diameter of about 4.75" when fired from a P3AT, which only has a 2.75" barrel. The .380 is a great little gun with the right ammo. I can imagine the Hydrashock would perform similarly or better out of the Bersa. Buffalo Bore, Extreme Shock and Double Tap also offer .380 Auto ammunition, all of which is very high performance for .380 ammo IMO.

Gunslinger

imported post

James wrote:
My little Bersa Thunder .380 suits me just fine. I havent had any trouble with it yet. Conceals nicely.
I have the Firestorm Mini-9. Shoots consistently low and to the right. I adjust for that, and it is dead accurate. Conceals like yours, but gives me 13+1 of +P 9mm. I think Bersas are built like tanks, easy to disassemble, look every bit as good as the Walther that costs twice as much, and can't be beat for the money. It's not the gun I'd pick for a shoot-out, but for comfortable CC--or OC for that matter, and less than 4 bills, you can't beat them.

Weak 9mm

imported post

Yeah man, they're great little guns, and I believe they're lisenced by Walther. Bud's guns has a two tone Bersa .380 single stack for $248 delivered right now. If it's still at that price in a few months I think I'll get one simply because it's hard to pass up a deal like that on a decent pocket pistol.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/178/products_id/25381

They do make a double stack 15+1 thunder .380 also, but it's hard to find, at least online.

I've never seen the Firestorm, is it a gun that can be pocket carried relatively easily? I really like guns like the Kahr PM-9 because of the ability to use 9mm ammo in such a small handgun. The problem is the Kahr is quite expensive, especially if you want it with night sights, which are a must for me on a carry weapon, unless the gun has CT lasergrips instead.

Gunslinger

imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
Yeah man, they're a great little gun, and I believe they're lisenced by Walther. Bud's guns has a two tone Bersa .380 single stack for $248 delivered right now. If it's still at that price in a few months I think I'll get one simply because it's hard to pass up a deal like that on a decent pocket pistol.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/178/products_id/25381

They do make a double stack 15+1 thunder .380 also, but it's hard to find, at least online.

I've never seen the Firestorm, is it a gun that can be pocket carried relatively easily? I really like guns like the Kahr PM-9 because of the ability to use 9mm ammo in such a small handgun. The problem is the Kahr is quite expensive, especially if you want it with night sights, which are a must for me on a carry weapon, unless the gun has CT lasergrips instead.
They only sell Firestorms, made by Bersa and similar to their Thunder compact models, in the West. Not sure why, maybe trademark related as they are imported from a different agent than the Bersa Thunders. I often just carry it in a pocket of my leather jacket in the cooler weather, it fits nicely in the gun pack I just bought, too. Kahr makes a quality gun, but not worth what they want for the smaller model. Their compact is like $125 more than the full size.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
SNIP
You seem to think that if you keep telling me things I already know enough times that I'll ignore all of the actual performance analyses I've read and performed on countless rounds in each caliber.
snip
You really don't believe I've read anything about ammuniton or personally tested it, do you?
snip
That is truly insulting considering the posts I regularly make concerning data and testing of all sorts of ammunition within numerous calibers.
snip
:banghead: Good gosh, again, you are being awfully defensive. I was responding to the topic using a response to you to start off with. You totally missed my point. I was discussing that fact that when responding to people on the forum who may not know all that things need to be discussed in historical context.

If I wanted to make comments ONLY pertaining to YOU and what YOU know why the hell would I post it on the forum? I would PM you. I was discussing the TOPIC, not discussing what you know, how smart I think you are, how much I think you have read, etc. For the benefit of some other posters here who, from their comments, apparently aren't aware of some of these things, I was giving the CONTEXT, historical and otherwise of what we are discussing. When in making my comments. I gave you credit to figure out where a, "For those of you who are not aware of this, and being that this information is required to follow the course of the discussion, let me give you a historical review and some historical contextualization to make the points being discussed more readily apparent" might belong.

If I thought you were stupid, didn't know what the hell you were talking about or were pulling stuff out of your butt I would tell you. The times I have disagreed with you I have done so openly, honestly, using factual data and no malice. Please get the chip off your shoulder. Unless someone makes it personal with direct personal comments, please don't assume it is personal. Starting a post addressing your quote and then going on from there into other related matters does not make the entire response about you. Maybe you are just having a bad day -- been there done that, over-reacted to comments in response to a quote more than once.

Weak 9mm

imported post

Meh, I don't think I'm being defensive, at least I didn't feel that bothered by it. I didget the impression you thought you were teaching me something though, which was odd.I wasn'treallytaking it personally, but it does sort of read that way as I'm looking at it. A lot of it is slightly sarcastic. I mean I don't care what caliber someone uses, I just simply can't stand unsubstantiated commenting. That and I didn't see why you kept telling me something that I continuously tried to say I wasn't talking about and already understood. You can bang that poor simley's head against the wall if you want though.