• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Time OC in The City of Angeles - residential area

20strong

imported post

I think that this is a great and noble thing. Thank you for excersising your rights. Things of this nature give people such as myself a little needed help in making it out the door.

VigilanceOfFreedom

imported post

I live in the LA area and work in Marina Del Rey. Last week, a UPS driver was robbed at gunpoint across the street from where I work which has gotten me very interested in California open carry. I also spoke to two LAPD officers this evening where I asked them about legal carry for citizens. They told me they were not familiar with those laws and even if it was legal to not try it since everyone in Los Angeles is not used to seeing civilian carry and I would most likely attract unwanted attention and 911 calls. We had a nice chat though and both officers agreed that citizens should be allowed to carry guns. It's very reassuring to hear that the police believe law abiding citizens should be able to carry their weapons.
I'm considering going down the the police station with the wonderful fliers I've downloaded from this site and politely asking for clarification on the gun laws. I'm concerned that most officers are not well versed in the firearm penal codes, as the two officers I spoke to were, because, well... they never have to interact with lawful open carry. How should I go about informing the police of my intentions and of the law? Or better yet, are there any open carriers in or the Marina Del Rey, Santa Monica, El Segundo and Manhattan Beach areas that I can speak to directly? Perhaps we can organize rallies at the local community colleges? Plus it'd be nice to see a friendly face to our cause ^_^

dalebfast

imported post

Hey all,

I can imagine the RivCo SD laughing at me if I was to ask them about UOC. They would probably advise me not to do it, that it's illegal. But all this is probably.

Before I UOC i'd better get my stuff together.

Keep adding, I enjoy reading!:D

Dale

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

VigilanceOfFreedom wrote:
I live in the LA area and work in Marina Del Rey. Last week, a UPS driver was robbed at gunpoint across the street from where I work which has gotten me very interested in California open carry. I also spoke to two LAPD officers this evening where I asked them about legal carry for citizens. They told me they were not familiar with those laws and even if it was legal to not try it since everyone in Los Angeles is not used to seeing civilian carry and I would most likely attract unwanted attention and 911 calls. We had a nice chat though and both officers agreed that citizens should be allowed to carry guns. It's very reassuring to hear that the police believe law abiding citizens should be able to carry their weapons.
I'm considering going down the the police station with the wonderful fliers I've downloaded from this site and politely asking for clarification on the gun laws. I'm concerned that most officers are not well versed in the firearm penal codes, as the two officers I spoke to were, because, well... they never have to interact with lawful open carry. How should I go about informing the police of my intentions and of the law? Or better yet, are there any open carriers in or the Marina Del Rey, Santa Monica, El Segundo and Manhattan Beach areas that I can speak to directly? Perhaps we can organize rallies at the local community colleges? Plus it'd be nice to see a friendly face to our cause ^_^

This is a bit off the topic of the OP, but I will address it briefly.

If you go to law enforcement to ask them legal advice or declare your intentions, expect to be told that this is illegal, be threatened with arrest, or be told that you shouldn't do it under any circumstances. If you feel you have an obligation to inform them of you intention or feel that you must as a matter of safety, I would say it would be beneficial to write a letter to the authorities stating that you are aware of the legality of openly carrying a firearm in the State of California, complete with citations, and indicate that you expectofficers or deputiesto know the law andconduct themselves appropriately. I should be sent so you get proof of delivery. This way, if you are illegally detained, seached, or arrested you will have some footing to prove they knew or should haveknownit was legal before you were detained.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

...Perhaps we can organize rallies at the local community colleges...
Just be aware that possessing firearms there without written permission of the Dean is a crime. You can still have an effective rally on campus, if that's your desired audience. Simply have a lot of people strap on empty holsters in protest of being disarmed on campus. Then wave signs and hand out fliers.

stevenh512

imported post

Or better yet, are there any open carriers in or the Marina Del Rey, Santa Monica, El Segundo and Manhattan Beach areas that I can speak to directly? Perhaps we can organize rallies at the local community colleges?
Having lived in Santa Monica for myself, I doubt you'd get any trouble from most of the Santa Monica P.D. For the most part (and especially for Los Angeles area LEOs) they're *very* friendly and professional. Of course I'm sure there are a few who don't fit that category, but I've only met one in the two years I lived there.

Santa Monica College police, on the other hand, might be a different story. Legal or not (and it's not without permission from the college administration), I think they would try to give you a hard time. I was a student there and I've seen them hassle people (especially non-students on campus) for a lot less than carrying a gun.

One word of warning, in Santa Monica at least.. keep your gun off the beach. As far as I know it's a state beach, so might be covered by the same rules as a state park.

cato

imported post

Santa Monica PD might know now as a few months ago they unlawfully arrested an unloaded open carrier coming out of Trader Joes with.... gasp.....groceries! No charges were filed. :)

stevenh512

imported post

That honestly surprises me, in the roughly two years I lived there I've only had one experience with a member of Santa Monica P.D. that I'd call bad or unprofessional. Then again, I have to admit I wasn't carrying a gun at the time (didn't know about open carry until I moved out to the desert), so I can only judge by my own general encounters with the police while I was there. I know most of the time it seemed like they didn't want to bother anybody (other than routine traffic stops) unless they were called or saw a crime in progress. Of course a "crime" in Santa Monica can be something as simple as smoking a cigarette at a bus stop.. lol