• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

first time

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This is what I originally thought as well. But remember, this law was enacted in 1989 (all three code sections). When the law was enacted, the act specified the law applies to all ordinances created on or after June 13, 1989. At that time, there was no mention of registration of any kind. All ordinances created prior to June 13, 1989 were permitted, including the registration ordinance, the dangerous weapons ordinance (NLV), and the no possession ordinance (BC).

When the law was amended October 1, 2007, language was added to each NRS chapter regarding registration. As this was the bulk of the addition, it's easy to focus on it. However, one very important detail was changed as well.

The 2007 law amended the ACT of the 1989 law. The unaltered portions of the 1989 law, plus the amended portions of the 2007 law were enacted by the statement:

"The provisions of this act, as amended on October 1, 2007, apply to ordinances or regulations adopted before, on or after June 13, 1989."

So when we look at the in-force NRS 244.364 section, there are only four paragraphs:

NRS 244.364 Limited authority to regulate firearms; restrictions concerning registration of certain firearms in county whose population is 400,000 or more.
1. Except as otherwise provided by specific statute, the Legislature reserves for itself such rights and powers as are necessary to regulate the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada, and no county may infringe upon those rights and powers. As used in this subsection, “firearm” means any weapon from which a projectile is discharged by means of an explosive, spring, gas, air or other force.

2. A board of county commissioners may proscribe by ordinance or regulation the unsafe discharge of firearms.

3. If a board of county commissioners in a county whose population is 400,000 or more has required by ordinance or regulation adopted before June 13, 1989, the registration of a firearm capable of being concealed, the board of county commissioners shall amend such an ordinance or regulation to require:
(a) A period of at least 60 days of residency in the county before registration of such a firearm is required.
(b) A period of at least 72 hours for the registration of a pistol by a resident of the county upon transfer of title to the pistol to the resident by purchase, gift or any other transfer.

4. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 1, as used in this section:
(a) “Firearm” means any device designed to be used as a weapon from which a projectile may be expelled through the barrel by the force of any explosion or other form of combustion.
(b) “Firearm capable of being concealed” includes all firearms having a barrel less than 12 inches in length.
(c) “Pistol” means a firearm capable of being concealed that is intended to be aimed and fired with one hand.
Paragraph 1 originally stated the state preempts all local laws. It was amended to include a broader definition of firearm, used only in that subsection, so that the state preempts laws regarding traditional guns utilizing gunpowder, airguns, spring guns, or any other type of device meant to propel a projectile. This strengthened the preemption by broadening the definition of firearm.

Paragraph 2 remained unaltered from the original 1989 law, giving counties the right to regular the discharge of firearms. But not, the definition of firearm reverts back to the more narrow definition (see Paragraph 4). So any laws regarding air guns, spring guns, or any other similar device (not an explosive-based gun) are preempted as well.

Paragraph 3 was added, and is entirely new in 2007.

Paragraph 4 was added, and is entirely new in 2007. This subsection changes the definition of firearm back to the more narrower explosive-based gun only.

This is clear legislative intent in the 2007 amendment that the state does not want local government having laws on the books regarding gun control. I say the intent is clear because Paragraph 1 preempts all gun laws using the broadest possible definition of gun, and then, the limited exceptions they make (discharge & registration) apply only to the narrower definition.

Last, the "The provisions of this act, as amended on October 1, 2007, apply to ordinances or regulations adopted before, on or after June 13, 1989." statement that actually enacts the law was amended to include the word "before". So, NRS 244.364, and all four paragraphs (subsections), are enacted June 13, 1989, amended October 1, 2007, and apply to ordinances or regulations adopted (any time).

Count

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I see your point. I don't have a problem with the way the law reads. My problem is the original SB 92. The way the language was written in the bill allows for reading as registration changed only. I couldn't paste that since it was in Adobe format, but if you can paste that bill here for discussion, you will see my concern. I still think the easiest is to get hold of one of the authors or his/her staff and find out what the legislative intent was. Then you can rest assured....

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I do have emails into the Boulder City and North Las Vegas city councils and will post their replies if/when they reply.

You are correct -- SB 92 amended both NRS sections to add the details of registration (also while clarifying the definition of firearm and how it applies).

But the part you're missing, is that the NRS sections that were modified already had preemption codified (the subsections applying preemption were amended to more broadly define firearm, thus expanding the preemption) but otherwise, the preemption remains.

The difference is that the original act applied only to ordinances on or after June 13, 1989. The amended act (the actual enacting of the law in Chapter 308 of the 1989 Nevada Statutes, as amended on October 1, 2007) changes that to before, on or after June 13, 1989. I think this would be easier if there were an online accessible version of the 1989 Nevada Statutes. I've looked but have been unable to find it.

varminter22

imported post

Count wrote:
I see your point. I don't have a problem with the way the law reads. My problem is the original SB 92. The way the language was written in the bill allows for reading as registration changed only. I couldn't paste that since it was in Adobe format, but if you can paste that bill here for discussion, you will see my concern. I still think the easiest is to get hold of one of the authors or his/her staff and find out what the legislative intent was. Then you can rest assured....

This may help: www.stillwaterfirearms.org/phpnuke/modules.php?name=Web_Links&l_op=viewlink&cid=3

Count

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I have some news. I contacted several of my contacts in the NRA. The legislative intent was to overturn all the ordinances. THAT IS CONFIRMED! The DA's office in Clark county disagrees. After the lawyerssort through the details, the AG of Nevada will probably have to issue an opinion. Keep the pressure up on those Clark county officials and politely contact the authors of SB 92. I have a feeling the issue willbe resolved soon, but calls always help.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Count wrote:
I have some news. I contacted several of my contacts in the NRA. The legislative intent was to overturn all the ordinances. THAT IS CONFIRMED! The DA's office in Clark county disagrees. After the lawyerssort through the details, the AG of Nevada will probably have to issue an opinion. Keep the pressure up on those Clark county officials and politely contact the authors of SB 92. I have a feeling the issue willbe resolved soon, but calls always help.
The first version of SB92 was written to preempt all laws, including registration and discharge. The enrolled and later enacted version preempts all laws EXCEPT registration and discharge, but it narrows the definition of firearm as it applies to the exceptions (only guns firing explosive propelled projectiles, so air guns, etc may not be regulated locally) and provides clarification on what the timelines allowed for registration.

Count

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Yes. However, the DA's office disagrees. I didn't obtain permission to post the letter I received from my contact, but rest assured action is being taken and I believe we will get to a quick resolution. Meanwhile, don't push the Boulder city or the NLV LEO's into having to arrest you against their will. We are right and we will prevail! Your DA there is just as bad as mine here in Texas. We won a big battle against him here and we will win there. If you contact the AG's office ref. this issue, I found the staff to be very pro-gun, so keep that in mind...

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Count wrote:
Yes. However, the DA's office disagrees. I didn't obtain permission to post the letter I received from my contact, but rest assured action is being taken and I believe we will get to a quick resolution. Meanwhile, don't push the Boulder city or the NLV LEO's into having to arrest you against their will. We are right and we will prevail! Your DA there is just as bad as mine here in Texas. We won a big battle against him here and we will win there. If you contact the AG's office ref. this issue, I found the staff to be very pro-gun, so keep that in mind...
Not pushing the police to arrest me, I have better things to do than sit in a jail cell over night ;-)

I'll keep working on the city council in each city to update their code. NLV looks promising, BC still owes me a response.

Count

Founder's Club Member
imported post

That is great, because anything they remove from their code they cannot put back anymore.