• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First week of Open Carry for me

Wishooter

imported post

Hi all,

To be honest when I first heard about this open carry movement, I immediately thought about what kind of weird, anti-government, clandestine, cult people would start this. The first post I read was Jason from Wisconsin. And low and behold Jason is a normal sounding guy, who is apprehensive and humble about starting to OC. He doesn't sound at all like what I had imagined. It is regular people like me that you are fighting to win over. And Jason's down to earth story did just that.

Personally I think that the anthropologist on the front page really hits it on the head about neutralizing the sight of a gun. Too many movies and spaghetti westerns have built up a violent image of OC. I equate is to a sombrero, in Mexico, you would not look twice at a 3ft hat in a grocery store south of the border but, I guarantee you will catch many looks up here in Northern WI. Once open carry becomes common place I hope that people will feel safe and secure as they shop knowing that well educated people are exercising their right as an American. I hope that people will not fear, but feel comfort that the people around them are confident, sound minded people,that have made the choice to protect themselves.

I personally have not OC yet. I am law enforcement, so I have the option to Conceal. I can relate to the frustration that my fellow officers have felt when encountering people that OC. I mean, just like many of the population it does send red flags off in our mind. However, I am confident that LE can adjust. This is evident especially in WI where hunting is King. It is not uncommon or unsettling to encounter people with loaded rifles on a regular basis during November. Just as this is routine, I hope that OC will reach the same status.

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Landose_theghost wrote:
GlockMeisterG21 wrote:
Btw, the Ridge theater (or any Marcus theater) will boot you if they see your gun. I know from personal experience.
Negative, A few weeks ago me and the wife along with her cousin went to go see The Wolfman @ a The Marcus on the East side of GB, No problems to report. Other than the fact that TheWolfman is a very large piece of crap that is :lol:. Altho I did notice that Johnny Law was on Babysitting duty when we left the theater.
Good, I'm glad to hear you didn't have any issues. Just be aware that they have a standing "No Firearms" policy that I confirmed with corporate last year. I haven't seen Wolfman and really don't have any plans to especially now. So many piss poor movies have been coming out lately.