• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Full size 9mm with thumb safety or DA/SA?

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Edit: Just wanted to say that is a pretty looking Taurus PT92 that you have Big Gay Al.
That is it's best side. :) The grip panel on the other side needs to be refinished, but looks ok other wise.

I've had that pistol since 1992. Still shoots just as good as the day I bought it.

wolfgangmob

I would also suggest the SIG SP2022, and Bersa Thunder 9. Those are both top contenders for the next gun that I am planning on acquiring; although, I am looking at the compact version of the Thunder 9 more than the full size version. I've also been a big fan of the CZ-75 lineup and I frequently lurk their forums. There is/was a CZ-75B compact and full size CZ-75B with the Omega trigger system, but I'm not actually sure where you can purchase them. I think that they might have just been short runs from CZ Custom Shop, but I don't think that is the case. Gunsamerica apparently sells some and I imagine that your local gun shops could track some down as well, provided that you are that interested in the Omega trigger system. Quite frankly, I would just go with either the 75B or BD.

Edit: Just wanted to say that is a pretty looking Taurus PT92 that you have Big Gay Al.

I've handled a Bersa 9 and just wasn't a fan. As far as the SIG SP2022, if I get a SIG I would want it to be a P226.

Beowulf

I don't blame you for wanting a P226. They are a bit more pricey then the SP2022, which is why I suggested it. If you haven't checked it out then I would suggest you look at gunbroker. You can usually find some good deals through them.

wolfgangmob

I don't blame you for wanting a P226. They are a bit more pricey then the SP2022, which is why I suggested it. If you haven't checked it out then I would suggest you look at gunbroker. You can usually find some good deals through them.

There's also some local sites and MO forums, missed a chance at a P226 with 300 rounds of 115gr FMJ in very good shape (holster wear) and around 1500 round count for $500 cash, called the guy but he hadn't gotten around to marking the ad as sold :( Oh well Now I own a Glock 17 with some wolster wear and a couple nicks on the grip and I have a lot less issue with that being a beater gun than a P226 :D

Aknazer

The Berreta 92FS isn't bad. I just ran an Active Shooter course with one in a level 2 Serpa and it was easy enough to push it off safe while drawing the gun. I prefer my XDm (it's my EDC when I have the choice) as it is on safe by default that is auto-disengaged on draw and has an extra safety compared to the Glock style, but that wasn't an option for the course. One thing to note about Glock/XDm style safeties is that I was talking with some people who have used the Glock in actual combat and multiple had switched to a different gun (sadly I forget which) because of an issue with negligent discharges. Basically some people were having issues with popping off a round on the draw due to all of the adrenaline. Of course something like this "could" happen if you were to switch off the safety at the same time, but the people I was talking to said that the issue seemed to only happen with the Glocks.

Obviously it was an operator error issue and my EDC at home uses that style of safety, I'm simply passing on a potential issue that I had heard about the Glock style safety.

berettabone

Banned
Who uses the safety? On all of my Beretta's, I never use the safety...........it's nice to have it, if I ever needed it, but, otherwise, why? If you carry it, you might want to have a hammer strap, but that's about it. If you have a proper holster, you don't need it.

merc460

Who uses the safety? On all of my Beretta's, I never use the safety...........it's nice to have it, if I ever needed it, but, otherwise, why? If you carry it, you might want to have a hammer strap, but that's about it. If you have a proper holster, you don't need it.

I was thinking the same.

wolfgangmob

I would want it for times when it's not in a holster like when I'm at home, I don't want a gun with a round in the chamber with no manual safety sitting out, I always keep my glock chamber empty if not holstered at home. If I get a CZ-75 it'll sit hammer down, safety on, round in the chamber. If you do carry a gun with a manual safety and don't use it, do you still train to draw and disengage the safety? You should in the chance that the safety even slightly moved to the on position so even if I don't use it I'll train to use it anyway because just like no safety is 100% at stopping a discharge, no safety is 100% at staying disengaged except the safety that's not there.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
There is the Beretta 92G which is decock only also. I am a big fan of the 92 series of pistols, but I agree that a safety is not really needed on a gun with such a long trigger pull for the first pull.

I also refuse to consider the GLOCK DAO... it is more like one and a half action, not double action, as the trigger does not FULLY cock the mechanism, and doesn't even MOSTLY cock the mechanism. From the perspective of the user it might as well be single action because most of the cocking is done by the slide and there is no ability to restrike a round or snap cap using the trigger alone because the trigger is incapable of cocking the gun. The only functional difference between the Glock trigger mechanism and a single action mechanism is that by not being fully cocked, a simple release of the pin without the use of the trigger will not set off the round (well, it might actually, but it won't do so as reliably), but this is also accomplished by a hammer block in a single action gun. And perhaps the trigger is slightly heavier, but that's nothing you couldn't accomplish by just shoving a stiffer spring in the works.

The Beretta 92D by comparison is a true double action only pistol in that it completely cocks and releases the hammer. You can restrike with the 92D. For instance, you could put a snap cap in the gun and strike it as many times as you want. With the Glock, or with any single action pistol, it would be, rack, click, eject, insert into mag, repeat.

The main reason the Glock strives for recognition as double action only, is because without that label it would not be able to compete in government contracts. But for all intents and purposes it might as well be single action as far as the actual person holding the gun is concerned. Before the Glock was considered Double Action Only, they liked to call it "safe action" but "safe action" means nothing in a competition between DAO guns to put in the hands of a million government officials.

Call it what you like, it's all semantics and I'm wrong because the Glock Tech says so and he's the guy that defines the words, but the Glock and 92D both carry the "Double action only" label yet are clearly very different. From the users perspective, comparing the manual of arms as a result of trigger design, the Glock and the XD (which is single action) are more apples to apples than comparing the manual of arms between the 92D and the Glock.

Last edited:

Aknazer

Actually there have been tests that have shown that both the Glock and XDm will reliably fire off a round at their "half cocked" setting. Sadly I couldn't find the site to this, but someone else who is better at google might be able to find it. Outside of that you are correct in that glock (and nearly all striker-fired guns) are actually SA guns that simply have the DA title in order to compete with misguided agencies that blindly ban SA weapons.

berettabone

Banned
I would want it for times when it's not in a holster like when I'm at home, I don't want a gun with a round in the chamber with no manual safety sitting out, I always keep my glock chamber empty if not holstered at home. If I get a CZ-75 it'll sit hammer down, safety on, round in the chamber. If you do carry a gun with a manual safety and don't use it, do you still train to draw and disengage the safety? You should in the chance that the safety even slightly moved to the on position so even if I don't use it I'll train to use it anyway because just like no safety is 100% at stopping a discharge, no safety is 100% at staying disengaged except the safety that's not there.

I only carry my manual safety Beretta's in the cold months..........I carry a S&W Bodyguard in the warm months, which also has a manual safety, which I also do not use....if you have a proper holster, you do not need a safety...the safety on my Bodyguard is so stiff, that I don't worry about it accidently moving to the on position.