• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

General question.

blackmarine

Suppose someone wanted to go hiking and camping in Olympic National Forest and they wanted to bring a few firearms. What sort of firearms would be legal to carry loaded on their person during their hike? Bolt action rifles? Semi auto rifles, such as an M1 garand, M1 carbine, semi-auto AK variant or AR-15? Semi-auto pistols? Revolvers? Muzzle loaders? Derringers? Black powder pistols? What would be legal? How would one handle an encounter with a forest ranger or other law enforcement if they were to cross paths during their hike?

All of the above are under the presumption that the hikers are not hunting without hunting licenses or without any other needed legal documents to hunt in a national forest. They are simply hiking and wish to have whatever means necessary available immediately to defend themselves against wild animals.

I would appreciate receiving any and all information as soon as possible.

In closing, any advice, knowing it is simply advice without any legal standing, is greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much for your time.

-blackmarine

1245A Defender

Suppose someone wanted to go hiking and camping in Olympic National Forest and they wanted to bring a few firearms. What sort of firearms would be legal to carry loaded on their person during their hike? Bolt action rifles? Semi auto rifles, such as an M1 garand, M1 carbine, semi-auto AK variant or AR-15? Semi-auto pistols? Revolvers? Muzzle loaders? Derringers? Black powder pistols? What would be legal? How would one handle an encounter with a forest ranger or other law enforcement if they were to cross paths during their hike?

All of the above are under the presumption that the hikers are not hunting without hunting licenses or without any other needed legal documents to hunt in a national forest. They are simply hiking and wish to have whatever means necessary available immediately to defend themselves against wild animals.

I would appreciate receiving any and all information as soon as possible.

In closing, any advice, knowing it is simply advice without any legal standing, is greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much for your time.

-blackmarine

Bolt action rifles? Semi auto rifles, such as an M1 garand, M1 carbine, semi-auto AK variant or AR-15? Semi-auto pistols? Revolvers? Muzzle loaders? Derringers? Black powder pistols?

well hell YES!!!!
and welcome to the forum!!

blackmarine

The reason I'm asking is that a small group of us would like to go camping, but would like the advantage of being able to protect ourselves. If you know what I mean.

.45ACPaddy

As far as I know, when they repealed the national parks gun ban, they made it so the laws of whatever state the park is in apply to the park in terms of guns.

amlevin

The issue won't necessarily be what's legal, it will be explaining that you aren't hunting/poaching when carrying weapons that aren't normally considered Self Defense weapons for civilians.

Most hikers I know are so weight conscious they won't pack any more than absolutely needed. Some even pack "dryer lint" for fire-starter rather than the sawdust/paraffin pellets we used to make as Scouts.

joeroket

As far as I know, when they repealed the national parks gun ban, they made it so the laws of whatever state the park is in apply to the park in terms of guns.

He asked about National Forests not National Parks.

A group of guys hiking with longarms sounds like a recipe for unlawful hunting citations to be issued regardless of your actual intent. Under the circumstance you posted it would be legal as far as I know but I myself would not do it.

Mainsail

Are you going hiking, backpacking or camping?

Hiking is walking several miles or more in the forest.

Backpacking is walking several miles or more in the forest with your overnight gear on your back.

Camping is driving your car/truck somewhere and pretending to be homeless for a night or two.

As for the arsenal I'm not really sure. The game wardens operate under some different rules, and if they think you're hunting or poaching, pretty much everything you bring can become property of the state, at least until it all gets sorted out in the courts. I'm not a hunter so I really can't say.

There is a difference between defensive arms (handguns) and offensive arms like those you mention. I think you'll all be fine with a handgun or two.

cougfan

Target shooting is perfectly legal in a National Forest so you can bring pretty much anything. I go shooting in nat'l forest land all the time, but where I usually go is a pretty well defined and used target shooting area. The rangers I've ran into are usually pretty nice, so if you are nice to them and not doing anything ridiculous they odds of them having an issue with it are incredibly slim and even slimmer that they would claim you are breaking any law.

maclean

I have to say that is sort of irritating to worry about what arm you are carrying when in the woods...

I grew up in the woods, and I never had to give thought to "proving" I was not hunting when walking armed.

Unless you happen to be caught carrying a deer, I mean.

Has this actually been a concern to someone?

oneeyeross

This time of year, yes. Modern rifle season run 16 - 31 Oct, I believe. Being in the woods, in possession of a high powered rifle...well, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, what is a "reasonable" game warden supposed to think? A bunch of guys in the woods with rifles, camping, during deer season looks like a hunting party, doesn't it?

joejoejoe

Well first off, it would be nice to see some actual laws posted here for this gentleman. Lets start with what guns are NOT allowed. If yours is not on the list, you are OK.

RCW 9.41.190 is the code for unlawful firearms (http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.190)

Secondly, the firearms regulations in the Olympic National Forest are subject to Washington State law. I cannot seem to find an RCW for it, however, the Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife have a pamphlet with the rules on them. Check that out here (http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/regulations/)

Lastly, the Olympic Nation Forest has a website with the rules and regulations regarding firearms. YES, you can carry what items are legal to carry, YES you can fire off your gun under their guidelines. Check out their site (http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/olympic/recreation-nu/info/regulations/regulations.shtml)

Fireworks and Firearms:

1. Use of fireworks or other explosives is prohibited on National
Forest lands.
2. Firing a gun is prohibited in or within 150 yards of a residence,
building, campsite, developed recreation site, or occupied area;
or across or on a road or a body of water

Bill Starks

State Researcher
if you take any of the above to the national Forest be sure you have a "safe" backdrop for shooting. No shooting across a road, or body of water to include lakes, streams, rivers, ponds.... Also no shooting near where you are camped. I'll find the relevant US Code and post.

<edit>
Title 36: Parks, Forests, and Public Property
PART 261—PROHIBITIONS
§ 261.10 Occupancy and use.

(d) Discharging a firearm or any other implement capable of taking human life, causing injury, or damaging property as follows:
(1) In or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site or occupied area, or
(2) Across or on a National Forest System road or a body of water adjacent thereto, or in any manner or place whereby any person or property is exposed to injury or damage as a result in such discharge.
(3) Into or within any cave.
(o) Discharging or igniting a firecracker, rocket or other firework, or explosive into or within any cave.

Last edited:

Aaron1124

if you take any of the above to the national Forest be sure you have a "safe" backdrop for shooting. No shooting across a road, or body of water to include lakes, streams, rivers, ponds.... Also no shooting near where you are camped. I'll find the relevant US Code and post.

<edit>
Title 36: Parks, Forests, and Public Property
PART 261—PROHIBITIONS
§ 261.10 Occupancy and use.

(d) Discharging a firearm or any other implement capable of taking human life, causing injury, or damaging property as follows:
(1) In or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site or occupied area, or
(2) Across or on a National Forest System road or a body of water adjacent thereto, or in any manner or place whereby any person or property is exposed to injury or damage as a result in such discharge.
(3) Into or within any cave.
(o) Discharging or igniting a firecracker, rocket or other firework, or explosive into or within any cave.

Whenever I camp out in the Greenwater area, I always hear and see people shooting in their own campsite. I drove down one path through route 73, and there was a couple of guys shooting down IN to the river. You get some real idiots out there. I wouldn't be surprised if people shoot off the cliff on top of route 73.

TheJeepster

If you are going between Oct 16 - 30th I would rethink the type of guns your are taking. Like many mentioned before. If you have a rifle DURING modern firearm hunting season but do not have a hunting license and proper tags you have the possibility of setting yourself up for ticketing and/or arrest. Most State or Federal Forest land you can hunt/shoot legally on. If you go during the above mentioned dates expect quite a bit of armed company. Packing a .223 around during hunting season will also get you stopped and questioned very quickly as it is illegal to hunt deer or elk with that caliber.

Also, If you are in your vehicle NEVER, EVER have a loaded long rifle of ANY kind in the vehicle moving or not. Load upon getting out and unload BEFORE getting in. If you are caught with a loaded weapon in the vehicle your toast. (Only disabled hunters with the proper permits are allowed to be loaded in a vehicle and to shoot from the vehicle).

Last edited:

swatspyder

If you are going between Oct 16 - 30th I would rethink the type of guns your are taking. Like many mentioned before. If you have a rifle DURING modern firearm hunting season but do not have a hunting license and proper tags you have the possibility of setting yourself up for ticketing and/or arrest. Most State or Federal Forest land you can hunt/shoot legally on. If you go during the above mentioned dates expect quite a bit of armed company. Packing a .223 around during hunting season will also get you stopped and questioned very quickly as it is illegal to hunt deer or elk with that caliber.

Also, If you are in your vehicle NEVER, EVER have a loaded long rifle of ANY kind in the vehicle moving or not. Load upon getting out and unload BEFORE getting in. If you are caught with a loaded weapon in the vehicle your toast. (Only disabled hunters with the proper permits are allowed to be loaded in a vehicle and to shoot from the vehicle).

Carry an AR-15 pistol and you won't have a problem:exclaim:

TechnoWeenie

Carry an AR-15 pistol and you won't have a problem:exclaim:

octruck1.jpg

devildoc5

I was unaware that national forests were open for target pratice.

Then again I thought the national parks were off limits for target practice as well.

Is there someone who could copy and paste the relevant parts of the federal codes pls?

:D

fight4your_rights

I was unaware that national forests were open for target pratice.

Then again I thought the national parks were off limits for target practice as well.

Is there someone who could copy and paste the relevant parts of the federal codes pls?

:D

Though ceded to the federal government, public land turned into "national forests" have historically fallen under state law and criminal acts are prosecuted by the state. Things are changing with the LE empowerment and arming of your typical forest rangers. Folks are now faced with state laws and those of the USFS.

Many hunting areas in the fish and wildlife regs encompass national forests, including Olympic Nat'l Forest. Several GMU's there will be active in the coming weeks. While the camper/target shooter who is not hunting has nothing to fear with regard to weapons and hunting regulations, he would be well advised to know if the area he was visiting was going to be filled with hunters.

blackmarine

Well first off, it would be nice to see some actual laws posted here for this gentleman. Lets start with what guns are NOT allowed. If yours is not on the list, you are OK.

RCW 9.41.190 is the code for unlawful firearms (http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.190)

Secondly, the firearms regulations in the Olympic National Forest are subject to Washington State law. I cannot seem to find an RCW for it, however, the Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife have a pamphlet with the rules on them. Check that out here (http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/regulations/)

Lastly, the Olympic Nation Forest has a website with the rules and regulations regarding firearms. YES, you can carry what items are legal to carry, YES you can fire off your gun under their guidelines. Check out their site (http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/olympic/recreation-nu/info/regulations/regulations.shtml)

Fireworks and Firearms:

1. Use of fireworks or other explosives is prohibited on National
Forest lands.
2. Firing a gun is prohibited in or within 150 yards of a residence,
building, campsite, developed recreation site, or occupied area;
or across or on a road or a body of water

Thanks for the info ! I'll check it out.:D