• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glock swap

Wooley

imported post

Got a Gen II 23 I'd like to trade for a 17 or 19. Mine will come with tupperware, 3 G23 mags, 5 G22 mags, and Trij nights.

I only ask for 3 mags and hopefully nights on the trade gun. Please have VA ID and CHP. Will drive if I have to. Also throw in holsters for a 23 if the trade is a 17.

Wools

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Wooley wrote:
Got a Gen II 23 I'd like to trade for a 17 or 19. Mine will come with tupperware, 3 G23 mags, 5 G22 mags, and Trij nights.

I only ask for 3 mags and hopefully nights on the trade gun. Please have VA ID and CHP. Will drive if I have to. Also throw in holsters for a 23 if the trade is a 17.

Wools

CCOC.jpg

Wooley

imported post

Its on trader. Figured I'd give it a crack here.

Fine Peter, unless I know you from my more active days here please have a VA ID, be born on or before todays date in 1946, and be accompanied by a grandparent.

You're right in calling me out Peter. CHP req a stupid idea on this site duly noted. So, how does one know in a private sale with someone they don't know just exactly what kind of person they're dealing with. I reckon CHP proves they're not a felon or engage in homemade cagefighting with unwilling domestic cohabitants.

joeamt

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Wooley wrote:

Wools

Try Wooley wrote:
Please have VA ID and CHP.

Huh?:question: Why? CHP is not needed for person to person sales in VA...

Wooley

imported post

Please see above Joe. I think I have a valid concern and good question. I know a CHP isn't needed for private sale, but let's say I meet someone from 3 hours away to sell. I don't know anything about them and while most of us are law abiding gun owners there are exceptions.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Wooley wrote:

Fine Peter, unless I know you from my more active days here please have a VA ID, be born on or before todays date in 1946, and be accompanied by a grandparent.

You're right in calling me out Peter. CHP req a stupid idea on this site duly noted. So, how does one know in a private sale with someone they don't know just exactly what kind of person they're dealing with. I reckon CHP proves they're not a felon or engage in homemade cagefighting with unwilling domestic cohabitants.
We never met!

I have no use for a Glock! (I like steel but everyone to their own)

It's not my problem or concern how you know, This is an OC board. Would you go on the NAACP site and try to sell KKK robes:p

At least have the courtesy to make the CHP requirement in private

GWRedDragon

imported post

I would prefer to see a CHP too, if it were someone I didn't know. I'd rather not sell a gun to a criminal. I don't see how that's 'against the spirit of OC'... :uhoh:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

GWRedDragon wrote:
I would prefer to see a CHP too, if it were someone I didn't know. I'd rather not sell a gun to a criminal. I don't see how that's 'against the spirit of OC'... :uhoh:
Then sell the damn thing on a CHP site or through an FFL.
Yes, it is against the spirit of OC. Geeze!

GWRedDragon

imported post

peter nap wrote:
GWRedDragon wrote:

I'm curious as to what method you would propose, or if you would use any method at all, to mitigate the possibility of your buyer taking your gun and holding up a 7-11 a few minutes later?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

GWRedDragon wrote:
peter nap wrote:
GWRedDragon wrote:

I'm curious as to what method you would propose, or if you would use any method at all, to mitigate the possibility of your buyer taking your gun and holding up a 7-11 a few minutes later?
Real simple!
Repeat after me: "Do you have any legal prohibitions that would prevent you from purchasing a firearm"

If you're too stuck in the high alert mode to follow the standard and legal procedure....take it to an FFL.
A CHP is not a Good Citizen Card.

Marco

imported post

GWRedDragon wrote:
What prevents anyone from committing any crime with any object?
What prevents someone from buy your car than going out and running someone over, or drunk drive?
What prevents you or anyone from buying any household chemical than go out and posion another?

Why would treat a firearm any differently than any other object that could be usedto harm another.

Marco

imported post

Do you realize how easy it would be to forge a VA CHP?
Unless you plan to run the person for wants/warrants a VA CHP tells you nothing.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
GWRedDragon wrote:
What prevents anyone from committing any crime with any object?
What prevents someone from buy your car than going out and running someone over, or drunk drive?
What prevents you or anyone from buying any household chemical than go out and posion another?

Why would treat a firearm any differently than any other object that could be usedto harm another.
I knid of skimmed over that M, because it's just common sense.

The first example that comes to mind is the fellow in Powhatan that murdered his family and a friend of his child right before the GA started.

Using the Good Citizen philosophy I can envision this:

Sheriff and all his Deputies are on the scene of the mass murder.

Sheriff..Did you kill all these people?

Shooter..Why, yes, yes, I did...but I do have a CHP!

Sheriff...OK boys, wrap it up and go home. He's OK, he has a CHP!.

Oh, in case no one remembers the case, he did have a CHP.

curtiswr

imported post

Wooley wrote:

A voter registration card?

GWRedDragon

imported post

I wouldn't want to sell a car to someone who drove drunk either. I just like the idea of being cautious, personally, and I'm not going to complain when you use whatever test you want in your own private sale.

I would accept a voter registration card (it is proof you are not a felon, after all).

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

GWRedDragon wrote:
I wouldn't want to sell a car to someone who drove drunk either. I just like the idea of being cautious, personally, and I'm not going to complain when you use whatever test you want in your own private sale.

I would accept a voter registration card (it is proof you are not a felon, after all).
You're misinterpreting what I am trying to say Dragon.

I have no problems with CHP's. The majority of people have CHP's. My wife has a CHP.

A CHP is a permit to carry a firearm Concealed...period, nothing more.

There is a very disturbing movement toward making CHP's a preferred class of people though.

Advertising a gun and making A CHP a requirement of the sale is the sellers privilege. He can sell to whoever he likes or makes him comfortable.

BUT...advertising it on a site that is dedicated to the Open (Read that Unpermitted) carry of firearms is both insulting and against everything I believe in. A CHP is a permit...permission, privilege...to hide what the rest of us carry without asking or needing permission.

Marco

imported post

GWRedDragon wrote: snip
I'm not going to complain when you use whatever test you want in your own private sale.
I don't see anyone complaining, we are just stating the the obvious flaw in thinking a CHP tells you anything about the person or their character or better yet what they will do in the future with the object.

So, are you going to asking potential buyers of your used car for a DMV printout?

Edit:
As a Permit holder:
When I post firearms for sale/trade I my or may not want to see an VA or Mil. ID and have you fill out a bill of sale (name/date/ make/model and city you reside in), that is decided on a cases by cases bases.
Those that want to trade with me should not want anything more than that because it ain't going to happen.

I ignore post that require what I consider extra legal requirements.

I would do a bill of sale for almost anything of >$$$ value.

GWRedDragon

imported post

When I said "I'm not going to complain..." I wasn't trying to imply that others were complaining. Rather, I was attempting to show that I consider my personal views on the issue to be just that, my views, and I have no problem with others using their own judgement and/or standards when making a sale.

As for predicting the future, I think it would be silly to say that felons are not much more likely to commit a violent crime with a gun they just purchased. That's why felons are not allowed by law to have guns.

Does this mean that you are likely to be a criminal because you don't have a CHP? Of course not. But, the converse is accurate: having a CHP implies someone does not have a criminal history.

My intention wasn't to start an argument on this, and I apologize for that. I was just saying I don't think it's unreasonable to want a CHP for a sale, as a personal choice, and I don't think it takes away from OC in general. In my mind, OC is about getting the public to understand that guns are not evil. It is not about making things easy for criminals, but once again how you want to conduct sales is your business.

nova

imported post

My view:

let people have whatever requirements they want. It's a private sale. They can choose to only sell to their family. Or close friends. Or CHP holders. Or people with voter cards. Or people within 30min drive. Or VCDL members. Or not Obama supporters. The list goes on.

If you don't like it, you aren't forced to buy it. And you're welcome to have your own viewpoint just as I have mine. :)