• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GMU's Regulation Held to Be Constitutional

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

nova wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
nova wrote:
Well, according to Robert Gibbs, just because the president is in the area doesn't mean people lose their right to carry firearms.

In practice, that's a load of BS though.

Stay outside the security perimeter - you do know where that is, right? :?

Yata hey
Sometimes they set the security perimeter in a public place...a place I have every right to be any other day of the week.
Oh I understand the problem.

No bight yellow tape with not cross signs either.

===========================================================
Warning - Security PerimeterXXXXXWarning - Security PerimeterXXXXXWarning - Sec
===========================================================

Yata hey

KBCraig

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
nova wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
A student said that his car that was parked in the Rappahanack Deck was searched by Secret Service this morning. "Gunpowder sniffing dogs" alerted the SS to gunpowder residue that they detected in his car. He had no guns or ammunition in his vehicle. I'm surprised they didn't detect anything on my car.
Interesting. No law or GMU policy prohibits ammunition anywhere on campus, only firearms and other defined weapons...

Right, but this was the Secret Service doing stuff in preparation for Obama's visit tomorrow. I'm guessing they can pretty much do whatever they want since it is for the safety of the President?
The USSS is fully aware that many of their searches are blatant violations of the 4th Amendment. They know, but they don't care, and they don't need to care, because they have no intention of pursuing criminal charges. They only want to find the threat and neutralize it until POTUS is out of the area.

Now, for simple folks like us, "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized," seems pretty straightforward; it means the government can't search your stuff.

But, the practical application is that your only available remedy for violation is to have any evidence excluded and/or criminal charges dismissed, if they were obtained through a violation of the 4th. In rare cases you might be able to pursue and win a §1983 case, but don't hold your breath on getting a monetary award over an illegal search.