• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Go mess with the Brady Campaign on Facebook!

FogRider

imported post

I don't know of any other specifically anti gun site, I just meant that you can find anti-gun people in other places. On of the best sites I've seen for a debate is Fark.com. You'll find a lot of just absolutely retarded comments, but if you're willing to filter through them you can have a reasonable and level headed debate with someone on the other side of the fence. I see another OCDO in quite a few gun threads there, but for the life of me I can't remember who it is. I know he goes by the same user name though.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Flintlock wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
FogRider wrote:
Y'know, if any one of them came here and started saying anything anti-gun they would be called a troll and banned almost immediately.

I pointed that out on the first page. I'm far from anti-gun, but just because I'm not a fanatical extremist I'm called a "troll" here.

That's part of your problem Stylez, you whine about being called a troll but yet you callpeople that have a differing view than you concerning the carriage of weapons"fanatical extremists."It works both ways and you are not innocent. By reading your past posts, it is clear to me that you don't even stand-by the main purpose of this site and I wonder why you even bother. Quite frankly, I think you are the worst type of gun owner, the one that only believes in thepart of the 2nd amendment that says "to keep,"and is more than willing to accept concessions and restrictionsto fundamental liberties without evenbatting an eye.

No, I'm just realistic about it. Hence not being a fanatical extremist calling for an end to all gun laws and restrictions. You can't see that you're an extremist because you're so immersed in it. It's like asking a fish how the water is.

Orygunner

imported post

AWDStylez, I think some people call others "extremist" because they just haven't connected the dots from A) What they believe to Z)What the other person believes.

Bear with me for a minute, because I, too, believe all mandatory government restrictions on firearms should be lifted.

What is the point of background checks? The pretty common answer is "to keep criminals from buying guns."

Does it accomplish this? Nobody could possibly claim it does! Just look at the amount of firearm-related crime we have in this country from "prohibited persons" that can't buy a gun directly from a FFL dealer, because they'd fail the background check. The prohibited persons will either use a straw purchaser, a private sale from an unwary seller, or "off the street," or the "black market," if you will.

So since the law only effects those willing to obey it, only the "prohibited persons" who are not inclined to commit a crime are affected. The ones who will break the law anyway will just go get them some other way.

The more sources you try and block off, it will just cause the others to flourish. If you managed to cut off every "legitimate" source of firearms, finding some way to eliminate straw purchases, gun shows, and private sales, it just means more guns will be stolen,or trafficked illegally to fill the demand.

What good comes from prohibiting someone with a Felony from legallypurchasing a firearm? If their intent is a lawful purpose, this violates their rights. If their purpose is evil, they're going to be able to get one anyway. Not only that, but once you allow one "class" of people to be prohibited, it allows the rights of more people to be taken away.. Anyone with a severe enough mental history, even if they're perfectly normal and responsible now. Those with restraining orders against them, who have been convicted of no crime. Those convicted of "domestic violence" misdemeanors, never mind the circumstances or their rights. Next will be "suspected terrorists" or those on the "do not fly list."

There's part of my thought process for deciding background checks are unnecessary and serve no positive purpose. So what good do background checks do again? I'd like your rationalization for it, and any other prohibitive forms of gun control, if you please.

Thanks,

...Orygunner...

Riana

imported post

All that reading those comments does for me is raise my blood pressure. I just don't need that.

But I recommend that if you see yourself in their photo album from the Chantilly gun show last weekend, contact the administrator and tell them to take your photograph off - that you did not sign a release, and do not authorize the use of your image on their site.

GWbiker

imported post

OK, I'm guilty of spending a few hours on the Brady Campaign Facebook page. I tried engaging in discussions on gun control, legal gun use, etc and in return I was called a troll, wacko, redneck, gun nut...... comments I received from a group who consider themselves to be well educated.

In case anyone here has forgotten, the Brady's are trying to change Federal law that would ultimately affect all legal gun owners. The Brady's would prefer that noone except Police and the Military be allowed to OC in public. (I love the way the Brady's spin flawed data)

I'll be checking in with the Brady Campaign Facebook page from time to time, simply because I CAN GO THERE! They cannot prevent me from posting a message, although they certainly would like to.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Orygunner wrote:
So since the law only effects those willing to obey it, only the "prohibited persons" who are not inclined to commit a crime are affected. The ones who will break the law anyway will just go get them some other way.

Trust me, I don't disagree with you, you just aren't defining your terms right. The problem with this beliefis that it only has one logical end - the elimination of ALL laws. There's a fewflaws with it...

If laws only effect those that follow them, why have laws? I've discussed in detail, before, the woefully flawed method of arguing on the basis of "law abiding" vs."non-law abiding." The issue is predetermined outcomes that are defined by the terms you're assigning to people. It's like saying drivers will always drive and pedestrians will always walk. Everyone knows this isn't accurate, but, based on the terms being used, it's true. Drivers will always drive because if they aren't driving they aren't a driver. Pedestrians will always walk because if they don't they're no longer pedestrians. The problem is that the same person can be a driver one day and a pedestrian the next, and the original statement not only implies otherwise, it completely ignores this fact. Do you see where this is going? Of course law abiding people are always going to follow the law, that's the very definition of law-abiding. Of course criminals will always break the law, that's the definition of crime. Your entire argument is based on the the flawed idea that one person cannot be a pedestrian one day and a driver the next day. This is because you've left the person out of it and instead have personified the descriptors "law-abiding" and "criminal." The entire argument fails because of this.

In addition, there's the problem of the elimination of all laws. What you're saying is that, since laws are not 100% effective, there's no reason to have them. What statistics do you base this claim on? Can you show me crimes committed in a land with a legal system vs. crimes committed in the same land without a legal system? You can't. You have no idea how many bad people (not criminals, because the definer criminal predetermines breaking of the law) would purchase and misuse guns if it was not for our current laws. Moreover, WHY do you think your local MS13 member should be able to walk into a Cabelas and purchase a gun without issue, just like the rest of us good people? What makes you think they deserve that? How do you justify it? Let them buy their guns on the street where they run the risk of being robbed or killed. The safe, convenient, air conditioned store is where I buy my guns. Keep the trash outside.

So, we both understand the issues. I look at it logically and search for reasonable solutions, that's why I'm not an extremist. You're discount logic and reasonbleness and simply seek to do away with it all. People with your belief system are really just the Brady Bunch inverted. You're both not interested in fact and reason, you just want it all done away with because of what you fear might happen.

Orygunner

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Orygunner wrote:

Trust me, I don't disagree with you, you just aren't defining your terms right. The problem with this beliefis that it only has one logical end - the elimination of ALL laws. There's a fewflaws with it...

If laws only effect those that follow them, why have laws? I've discussed in detail, before, the woefully flawed method of arguing on the basis of "law abiding" vs."non-law abiding." The issue is predetermined outcomes that are defined by the terms you're assigning to people. It's like saying drivers will always drive and pedestrians will always walk. Everyone knows this isn't accurate, but, based on the terms being used, it's true. Drivers will always drive because if they aren't driving they aren't a driver. Pedestrians will always walk because if they don't they're no longer pedestrians. The problem is that the same person can be a driver one day and a pedestrian the next, and the original statement not only implies otherwise, it completely ignores this fact. Do you see where this is going? Of course law abiding people are always going to follow the law, that's the very definition of law-abiding. Of course criminals will always break the law, that's the definition of crime. Your entire argument is based on the the flawed idea that one person cannot be a pedestrian one day and a driver the next day. This is because you've left the person out of it and instead have personified the descriptors "law-abiding" and "criminal." The entire argument fails because of this.

In addition, there's the problem of the elimination of all laws. What you're saying is that, since laws are not 100% effective, there's no reason to have them. What statistics do you base this claim on? Can you show me crimes committed in a land with a legal system vs. crimes committed in the same land without a legal system? You can't. You have no idea how many bad people (not criminals, because the definer criminal predetermines breaking of the law) would purchase and misuse guns if it was not for our current laws. Moreover, WHY do you think your local MS13 member should be able to walk into a Cabelas and purchase a gun without issue, just like the rest of us good people? What makes you think they deserve that? How do you justify it? Let them buy their guns on the street where they run the risk of being robbed or killed. The safe, convenient, air conditioned store is where I buy my guns. Keep the trash outside.

So, we both understand the issues. I look at it logically and search for reasonable solutions, that's why I'm not an extremist. You're discount logic and reasonbleness and simply seek to do away with it all. People with your belief system are really just the Brady Bunch inverted. You're both not interested in fact and reason, you just want it all done away with because of what you fear might happen.

Well, I would hope I'm not a Brady Bunch inverted... I wouldn't want to look like the INSIDE of an a$$hole :lol:

Sorry. I couldn't resist that.

I really don't feel like I fit that description, because I, too, believe I try to gather as much information as I can in a logical, reasonable manner to find the best solution.

I understand exactly what you're saying, and I don't agree this line of thinking can result in the elimination of all laws, because, well, what is the purpose behind having laws?

From what I can understand, the purpose of laws in a "free country" is to protect the rights of the individual person. We have a right to life, so murder or attempted murderis a crime, because it infringes on that right. We have a right to our own safety and security, so rape, assault, etc. is a crime. We have a right to personal property, so theft and vandalism is a crime, etc. etc. I don't want to get into the finest points of it, but I think you get my point?I know some laws don't conform exactly to that principle, but from any I can think of at the moment, I don't think we need them if they don't directly protect an individual's rights, but that's another discussion...

Anyway, So regarding laws related to firearms. I believe any firearm-related laws that do not either protect someone's rights, or punish those that infringe on the rights of others should be eliminated.A previously "law abiding" person can infringe on the rights of others by making a poor choice like pointing a firearm at another (directly threatening someone's safety) or even accidentally shooting someone (negiligent wounding or homicide). They could even decide to commit a crime using a firearm (armed robbery, homicide, kidnapping). However, these are all crimes that are committed by one person infringing on another's rights.

Whose rights would be violated if we allowed a currently "prohibited person" such asone in the current list (Felon, "domestic abuser" minor, etc.)to purchase a firearm? If they do nothing wrong with it (they do not infringe on another's rights), no real crime has been committed, has it?

Whose rights are violated by allowing unlicensed concealed carry? If they're carrying it for lawful self-defense, no crime against anyone else has been commited, has it?

Whose rights are violated by allowing people to carry guns in schools?What aboutby allowing people to own machine guns of current manufacture and allowing the unrestricted use of sound suppressors, without expensive licenses and taxes?

All of these things are claimed to be restricted because the common belief that someone MIGHT do harm with them, so we must do what we can to try and prevent it. However, indoing so, we are infringing on the rights of some, simply because others may do harm. None of these laws preventanyone from doing harm to others, because they will break these laws as surely as they will break the ones that are crimes against others' rights.

This makes no sense to me, logically, or morally. I can't think of any other right that's treated this way. It's the equivilent of prohibiting talking in a theater because someone MIGHT yell "Fire." It's like requiring a background check to buy a digital camera because someone MIGHT take pictures of naked kids. It's like asking permission from the government to exercise your 4th Amendment rights because some other people might be hiding something, and if you ever were convicted of ANY crime, you don't get to exercise that right ever again.

I believe I've thought it through pretty thorougly, and that's my current belief. Are there any gun control laws that you know of that actually protect any individual's rights? If you prefer the broader angle, How about any thatcan beproven to have made any society any safer?

...Orygunner...

Pamiam

imported post

If anyone from the Brady Campaign wants to talk to me, they can find me here.

In the meantime, I'll be working against them behind their scenes at every op.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Orygunner wrote:
This makes no sense to me, logically, or morally. I can't think of any other right that's treated this way. It's the equivilent of prohibiting talking in a theater because someone MIGHT yell "Fire." It's like requiring a background check to buy a digital camera because someone MIGHT take pictures of naked kids. It's like asking permission from the government to exercise your 4th Amendment rights because some other people might be hiding something, and if you ever were convicted of ANY crime, you don't get to exercise that right ever again.

I'm ignoring all the strawman stuff about school carry, licensing concealed carry, etc etc. You already know I'm against that stuff. I'm talking about real, common sense restrictions. The kind the SCOTUS agreed with me on in Heller. Background checks, no carry in federal buildings (if security is provided and everyone is searched at the door), no felons with guns, etc.

Again, I get where you're coming from, but think of drunk driving.

When someone drives drunk and DOESN'T hurt anyone... who's rights have been violated? Nobody's. Does this mean it's not a crime? According to the logic you're using, it isn't a crime. Does this mean we should let people continue to drive drunk as much as they want, as long as they don't hurt someone? Of course not. Because the fact of the matter is that someone IS going to get hurt. It's not a matter of IF, but WHEN.

Look at it this way. Remove your "zomg the government willtake it toofar!!!!11!!!11!11!!!" fear about guns laws (because the government can take any lawor restriction too far,so that's another failedpremise)and then tell me, what's inherentlywrong with a background check? What's inherently wrong with not letting violent criminals legally purchase weapons? What's inherently wrong with an age limit on gun purchases? What's inherently wrong with requiring proof that you know basic gun safety?

The realistic answer is, nothing. In fact, those are all good things. All rights and responsibilities in a society come with compromise. This is not an anarcical land where all rights are unlimited and everyone does whatever they damn well please. We're an organized society and we have certain moral and legal obligations. One of these happens to be common sense control of weapons, e.g. keeping them out of the hands of violent people and idiots. The extra two minutes of inconvience to fill out paperwork when you buy a gun is the price you pay for living in a civilized society. You may not like that and you may not agree with it, but welcome to society, it isn't all about you.

Dustin posted this definition inthe social contract theory thread and it fits perfectly:
The Social Contract and Government
The fundamental basis for government and law in this system is the concept of the social contract, according to which human beings begin as individuals in a state of nature, and create a society by establishing a contract whereby they agree to live together in harmony for their mutual benefit, after which they are said to live in a state of society. This contract involves the retaining of certain natural rights, an acceptance of restrictions of certain liberties, the assumption of certain duties, and the pooling of certain powers to be exercised collectively.

Just because bad people (not criminals, don't use that word) can still purchase illegal weapons, doesn't mean we still don't restrict them. Just because people still drive drunk doesn't mean should lift drunk driving laws. Just because people still shoot heroine doesn't mean we should legalize it. The list goes on and on and on. Despite what you've said, your argument still boils down to: "it's not 100% effect, so get rid of it," and, as I pointed out before, this can be said of all laws... hence the end elimination of all laws due to that logic.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Orygunner wrote:
Are there any gun control laws that you know of that actually protect any individual's rights?

Yes. In fact, as I have stated many times, I'm all for required training. Having people know basic gun safety, the laws pertaining to firearms, and being able to at least hit the Gulf of Mexico from an oil rig protects my rights to life and security. The same way having people at least pass a basic (and our's are FAR too basic) driving test at least keeps the roads somewhat saver than they would be, which, again, protects my rights to live and security.

Orygunner

imported post

Thank you for the clarification of which gun control you do and don't approve of. I didn't mean to throw out any "straw man stuff," just giving examples.

I don't even have a "the government will take it too far" argument. Although it is a concern, I don't need to address it to make my point.

Your question is, what's inherently wrong with requiring background checks, licensing or training? Quite simply, it's infringement on an inalienable, constituionally protectedright.

Now I'm assuming you agree the RKBA is a right equal to freedom of speech, press, etc., However, because of the social contract, "restrictions of certain liberties" may be applied?

The idea of restricting certain liberties and freedoms for the greater good sounds a lot like Socialism to me. I believe this country and our governments were created on the concept that the best way for us to live together for our mutual benefit is for the government to protect individual rights and freedoms.

There are SOME liberties we do give up in the social contract that make sense.The right to travel is widely recognized. You are allowed to walk pretty much anywhere you want to. However, because the roads and streets are publicly owned and maintained, as part of the social contract, we register our cars and license our drivers. Driving a vehicle on public roads is considered a privilege, not a right, making traffic laws acceptable under that contract. There is no law against driving an unregistered car, without a license, on your own property not open to the public, at 100 miles per hour, while drunk.

However, I didn't get a response to one of my original questions: Name one other inalienable, protected right that is treated like firearms are, where laws are created to prevent some from exercising the right because others may abuse it?

...Orygunner...

Edited for spelling and clarification

Flintlock

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
I look at it logically and search for reasonable solutions, that's why I'm not an extremist.
I also look at topics logically, but you saying that's how you come to conclusions and me saying the same is not going to convince anyone of anything. Saying you are not an "extremist" and calling someone else one is also merelyopinion, based on your personal understanding and knowledge of the subject at hand.

The fact is you have not specifically defined your version of an extremist. Is it people that want to OC anywhere at anytime? People that don't believe in the regulation, registration,or government sanctioned firearmtraining requirements are "extremists?" Am I off basewith your assertions?From what I can gather from you,your personalunderstanding of the subject would paint george Washington and James Madisonas "extremists" or perhaps worse. As you know, Madison authored the BOR.

This may notshock you, but many constitutionalists and many that view this web site would consider you the opposite end of the extremist catagory with that line of thinking.

You're discount logic and reasonbleness and simply seek to do away with it all. People with your belief system are really just the Brady Bunch inverted. You're both not interested in fact and reason, you just want it all done away with because of what you fear might happen.

You are contradicting yourself because this is exactly why there are - what you term "common sense gun resrictions" in the first place. Theyare not fact based, but are absolutely emotionally based restrictions on a constitutionally guaranteed right, written specifically to prevent such infringements. There is no real hope that any of the infringements will work, it is only to promote a political agenda by touching on the hearts and fears of the general population of sheep that are literally brain washed by the propoganda themedia outlets releaseevery single day.

No amount of restriction is going to stop so-called "gun violence" or any other type of violence. Any so-called AWB, (that has been labeled "common sense by numerous administrations including the current one,")that merely prohibits the further manufacture and sale to usciviliansof bayonette lugs and retractable stocks is pointless and a finger in the eye of millions of Americans andour constitution. It is totally unnecessary and accomplishes nothing other than to alienate gun owners and give the NRA more memberships.

That is not thinking and acting with "logic." If we can agree on why there is a 2nd amendment in the first place,( and that's probably a bigif)then I fail to see how one can logically explain to me how a government, particularly on the federal level, can regulate, restrict, disarm, ban, etc. firearms or people from carrying them as it would violate both the 10th and 2nd amendments to the Supreme Law of the Land.

Orygunner

imported post

It was "common sense" in Germany for the Nazis to kill the Jews.

It was "common sense" in the south for blacks to use different drinking fountains than whites.

Just because something is "common sense" doesn't mean it's REALLY the right thing to do. It just means a lot of people believe it is.

...Orygunner...

compmanio365

imported post

Orygunner wrote:

It was "common sense" in the south for blacks to use different drinking fountains than whites.

Just because something is "common sense" doesn't mean it's REALLY the right thing to do. It just means a lot of people believe it is.

...Orygunner...
Au contraire, "common sense" is often neither.........

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

Orygunner wrote:

...Orygunner...

That's why the people of Chicago have what they have as far as so called "Common Sense" Gun Laws.:cuss:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum21/22404.html

I know that hate is a strong word, but, I hate the agenda of Mayor Daley and the Brady Campaign!!:cuss:

The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1787!!:X

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Orygunner wrote:
However, I didn't get a response to one of my original questions: Name one other inalienable, protected right that is treated like firearms are, where laws are created to prevent some from exercising the right because others may abuse it?

How about I ask you a question in return, which other right is even remotely comparable to the right to right to keep and bear arms?

The fact of the matter is that the SOCTUS agrees with me on common sense restrictions (see Heller). That leaves you with the burdern of proof for why we shouldn't have them. "Shall not be infringed" doesn't cut it, because, based on the way you're interperting it, a ten year old should be able to go out and buy an RPG.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Flintlock wrote:
You are contradicting yourself because this is exactly why there are - what you term "common sense gun resrictions" in the first place. Theyare not fact based, but are absolutely emotionally based restrictions on a constitutionally guaranteed right, written specifically to prevent such infringements. There is no real hope that any of the infringements will work, it is only to promote a political agenda by touching on the hearts and fears of the general population of sheep that are literally brain washed by the propoganda themedia outlets releaseevery single day.

No amount of restriction is going to stop so-called "gun violence" or any other type of violence.

Prove it. Prove that they're emotionally based restrictions that do no good. I asked once already, show me statistics backing up what you claim from the SAME society with and without common sense firearms restrictions. You can't do it. They don't exist. You're the only one going on emotion, because you think and you feel that these regulations don't work, but you can prove nothing.

And who ever said anything about reducing gun violence? Reducing gun violence just results in increased violence using other tools. Violence is not the issue here. The issue is the ethical obligations and due diligence of society. A likely reduction in violence (regardless of how small) is merely a beneficial side effect.

The thing you aren't getting is that the measures I said I'm for really aren't restricting you at all. The only way a background check restricts you is if you don't pass it. The only way felons not being allowed to own guns restricts you is if you're a felon. The only way required training restricts you is if you fail at basic safety (in which case you shouldn't be allowed to own to gun anyway). The only way that not allowing people with psychotic disorders to own guns restricts you is if you have a psychotic disorder (again, in which case you should havea gunanyway). None of these things restrict you. What they do, atworst,is inconvenience you. So stop crying about them. Welcome to ordered society -it isn't all about you.

Flintlock

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
The fact of the matter is that the SOCTUS agrees with me on common sense restrictions (see Heller). That leaves you with the burdern of proof for why we shouldn't have them. "Shall not be infringed" doesn't cut it, because, based on the way you're interperting it, a ten year old should be able to go out and buy an RPG.
How so? The Heller decision has been misinterpreted by anti-gun politicians andby many politically active groupsto convince the masses that infringements are indeed allowed despite the fact thatthe opinionwas worded narrowly to the very subject at hand.

Secondly, we have had this discussion before. The SCOTUS is inbut one branch of government and is capable of the same absurdities as the other branches. The Ninth curcuit is overturned almost three quarters of the time when an appealed decision is listened to above them. Four Justices of the SCOTUS dissented on the Heller vote. They couldn't even agree on the definition of Bearing Arms during the proceedings.. It was atrocious.

As for the ten year old argument, that again, it emotionally based and not based upon any logical analization. It is fear-mongering. The constitution has an amendment process that is rarely used and for good reason. I would personally say that as it is currently written, I see no constitutional argument against such a purchase, except perhaps for the possibility leaving it to parental consent because unless the "child" lives on their own and away from parental assistance and tutilage, there should be some say and responsibility for that decision.

If parents can be prosecuted for the actions of their children (which is a whole other discussion) than they should have that say.