• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Going to the peoples Republic of Maryland for the weekend.

swinokur

Activist Member
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
swinokur wrote:
lax wrote:
useful_idiot wrote:
Ammunition cannot be in the same locked container. Magazines cannot be loaded under any circumstances even if they are in a separate locked container from the firearm.

I occasionally use a range close to my parents place in MD. I've seen the above mentioned a lot but can't find an official statement. Can someone help with a link?
That info is just plain wrong. The only requirement is that the weapon be unloaded in an enclosed case or holster. Loaded mags are ok as per the attached MD AG opinion.

Link to MD 4-203 handgun statute

http://law.justia.com/maryland/codes/gcr/4-203.html
There is a this very narrow application which only applies to going to the range, repair shop and a few similar circumstances has already been covered here. It does not protect a traveler from out of state who is traveling through or ending their trip in Md which is what the OP asked and the application of the thread. Not disparaging your reply - only bringing it back OT. :)

In any event, these exceptions do not permit going to Aunt Bea's house or wherever else is not specifically authorized in the code for in-state trips.

The penalty for violation of this code is severe: 3 -10 years confinement and "The court may not impose less than the applicable minimum sentence provided under subparagraph (i) of this paragraph." per your link above.

To those that suggest we should trust in the good graces of LEOs when stopped, I find that ludicrous. Know the law and follow the law; protect the future of your RKBA.

Yata hey

Grape I was responding to the question about going to a range in MD from VA. As a range is one of the permissable places you can carry in compliance with 4-203, my point was that the info about locked weapons and ammo separate did not apply. If going to a MD range from anywhere, you would be covered under 4-203 as MD is your destination. That was my only point in criticizing the info provided.

Hope this clarifies.