• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Going to Wausau? Friendiy to OC or not

Elysium

imported post

So sunday April 11th then? I would love to talk about organizing a open carry event here in wausau with Wisconsin carry and anyone else in the area interested.

Elysium

imported post

well if the gun show closes at 3 on sunday that gives Hubert about a 45 min to 1hr drive to Wausau. So 5ish? Place TBD. Family resturant no alcohol.

Wisconsin Carry Inc.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

I am certain you guys can find some place, but use email/pm to select a time and place. The anti's watch this forum night and day and will attack the business (like Starbucks) to prevent us from meeting there.

Time would need to be after 4:30PM

We can go overthe low down on what it takes to organize an event, and then start the ball rolling.

Looking forward to meeting up with you guys/gals in the central sands....

Hubert Hoffman, Vice President
Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
P.O. Box 270403
Milwaukee, WI. 53227
Hubert@wisconsincarry.org
608-792-0669
http://www.wisconsincarry.org

Elysium

imported post

LolWausau is the start of the Northwoods my friend! The Central Sands would be Wood and Portage counties.

Already edited out potential spots from prior posts.

5pm April 11th. I will be in touch with both of you via email

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

tpos wrote:
Yeah Saturday or Sunday afternoon would work great for me too.
I am in for a Sunday afternoon meet & greet. . I have lot's of family in the Wausau, Weston, Ringle area. use to deer hunt in Ringle. The more notice you give people the more people you will get.

smithman

imported post

All LEOs have been trained on OC by now. If they are not friendly, they deserve to write you a check. What I mean here is the entire state is OC friendly since the state constitution goes border to border. The public doesn't care when I OC, few people even notice, and NEVER has anybody freaked out yet.

phred

imported post

Bluegill Bay Park (in Rib Mt) would be a nice place to have a gathering BUT:
CHAPTER 19 PARKS AND RECREATION (Cr. #5.08)Rib Mountain, Wisconsin - Code of Ordinances

19.06FIRES, FIREWORKS, FIREARMS AND MISSILES . (3)FIREARMS. No person, except a peace officer, shall fire or discharge any firearm, rifle, spring or air gun of any description within Town parks or have any firearm, rifle, spring or air gun in his possession or under his control, unless it is unloaded and knocked down or enclosed within a carrying case or other suitable container, provided that this subsection shall not prevent the maintenance and use of supervised rifle or pistol ranges or shooting galleries authorized by the Town Board. This subsection shall be deemed to prohibit hunting within Town parks.

Is this typical of City and Town parks?

phred

imported post

This is quoted from the League of Wisconsin Municipalities

October 2009 Comment Municipalities Have Limited Authority to Regulate Firearms By Claire Silverman, Legal Counsel

"A municipal ordinance requiring that guns in municipal parks be unloaded and enclosed in a case is similar to the requirement in sec. 29.089. It is not more stringent because it does not attempt to impose additional regulations on guns possessed or controlled in state parks. Rather, it imposes regulations in municipal parks that are similar to regulations imposed by statute in state parks."

The probability of getting attacked is probably greater in a park than in Starbucks or Gander Mt. Where we need to defend ourselves, we can't, and where we don't have to defend ourselves, we can. What a mixed up situation!!

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

29.089 Hunting on land in state parks and state fish hatcheries. (1) Except as provided in sub. (3), no person may hunt or trap on land located in state parks or state fish hatcheries. (2) Except as provided in sub. (3), no person may have in his or her possession or under his or her control a firearm on land located in state parks or state fish hatcheries unless the firearm is unloaded and enclosed within a carrying case. (3) A person may hunt deer, elk, wild turkeys, or small game in a state park, or in a portion of a state park, if the department has authorized by rule the hunting of that type of game in the state park, or in the portion of the state park, and, except as provided in s. 29.063 (5), if the person holds the approvals required under this chapter for hunting that type of game. History: 1989 a. 214; 1997 a. 237; 1997 a. 248 s. 599; Stats. 1997 s. 29.089; 2001 a. 109; 2005 a. 286. Cross Reference: See also ss. NR 10.001 and 10.28, Wis. adm. code.
So, mommy told us that we couldn't have a BB gun. When daddy said that you can't have one even if mommy said yes, was he being more or less stringent?

imported post

unless the firearm is unloaded and enclosed within a carrying case.
I have previously posted the image of a completely enclosing holster (for my Luger).

While in a State Park and carrying an unloaded pistol in a completely enclosing holster, does a cop or DNR thug have RAS to detain and search you? Are we relieved from the prohibitions of§941.23 while arguably carrying legally in a SP?

hunter9mm

imported post

Can't quote chapter and verse, but I do seem to remember reading that a holster, even though it completely "Encases" the weapon, IS NOT considered a "case" for the purpose of a firearm that requires to be "Cased".

Doug, can you help with the statute?

phred

imported post

The word "holster" does not come up in a search of statute but:

167.31(1)(b)
(b) "Encased" means enclosed in a case that is expressly made for the purpose of containing a firearm and that is completely zipped, snapped, buckled, tied or otherwise fastened with no part of the firearm exposed.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

phred wrote:
Bluegill Bay Park (in Rib Mt) would be a nice place to have a gathering BUT:
CHAPTER 19 PARKS AND RECREATION (Cr. #5.08)Rib Mountain, Wisconsin - Code of Ordinances

19.06FIRES, FIREWORKS, FIREARMS AND MISSILES . (3)FIREARMS. No person, except a peace officer, shall fire or discharge any firearm, rifle, spring or air gun of any description within Town parks or have any firearm, rifle, spring or air gun in his possession or under his control, unless it is unloaded and knocked down or enclosed within a carrying case or other suitable container, provided that this subsection shall not prevent the maintenance and use of supervised rifle or pistol ranges or shooting galleries authorized by the Town Board. This subsection shall be deemed to prohibit hunting within Town parks.

Is this typical of City and Town parks?
we got the park restriction killed in Green Bay last year, went to the city council, it was all the buzz for a while... Now you can OC in Green Bay city owned parks, at least the ones that don't have a school with in a 1000 feet which is most of them.

imported post

phred wrote:
The word "holster" does not come up in a search of statute but:

167.31(1)(b)
(b) "Encased" means enclosed in a case that is expressly made for the purpose of containing a firearm and that is completely zipped, snapped, buckled, tied or otherwise fastened with no part of the firearm exposed.
Yes, the word "holster" is not in my copy of the statutes.

hunter9mm

imported post

So one should assume a holster, even though it completely covers the handgun and snaps (or however it closed) would not be considered a "Case" in this instance?

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

hunter9mm wrote:
Can't quote chapter and verse, but I do seem to remember reading that a holster, even though it completely "Encases" the weapon, IS NOT considered a "case" for the purpose of a firearm that requires to be "Cased".
For the purposes of 167.31(1)(b), both a fanny pack stylecase (Bianchi, etc) and a completely enclosed holster such as the aforementioned Lugercase are legal as they are expressly madefor the purpose of carrying a firearm. They meet both the intent and the letter of the law.