• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Golden Corral changes policy to allow open carry!

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

BreakingTheMold wrote:
Lets hope the Brady's don't start a ruckus at GC next....

::knock on wood:::banghead:
But now when the Brady Bunch brings out the argument that Peet's Coffee and CPK has reversed their policies to not allow carry of firearms, we can now give a specific company that has gone the other direction.

Dianosis

imported post

Not bad, thanks for the follow up on this, I had started to loose heart somewhat with this state. But this combined with your your CBS interview has renewed my hope!

I thought it was funny that he (Scott Scaberg) said he was familiar with this site. I told him in my responce that I was gonna post their reply/policy on here, he musta checked it out or everyone stepped up and voiced their disapproval, and they woke up. Man this just made my day. :D

SlackwareRobert

imported post

TFred wrote:
blindhog wrote:
If the SCOTUS incorporates it into the 14th you will be ,,,and the carrying of a gun is a right not an act.
While it might be nice if that were true, it isn't. The 1st Amendment is thoroughly incorporated, but that doesn't give those Westboro nuts protected class, in terms of speech or religion. A business can kick them out if they come onto their property and start their disgusting protests.

The carrying of a gun is a right protected from the government. (The level of government is determined by the incorporation issue...) Since no government compels you to enter another's private property, those protections do not extend to that property.

TFred
Ahh, but you forget just this week the government is going to order you to enter a
private business of go to jail.

As for being a protected class, this board clearly shows we are a very discriminated class of citizens. Heck we aren't even alowed to sit in the back of the bus. :shock:

I agree private property should rule, but the government needs to read the part about "private" government is public by definition.

But private property must notify persons before the government can get involved
and they do not hold them to that standard.

Is a toll road built with public money private or public?
Same goes for these government shell companies.

Opps, been so long since I was in VA.....
How about if the government orders you to have an emissions test on your car,
can the garage owner order you off the property? It is his business isn't it?

possumboy

imported post

Hollowpoint38 wrote:
I asked him to email me the letter but he said he was going to mail it. I have no idea why he couldn't save a stamp.

Letters are a better idea. I can send you an email stating it is OK. A letter on the official letterhead of the company, always "looks" better.

Yes, you can make your own with letterhead, but it is generally more accepted as official on letterhead.

On a side note, I have OC at the Golden Corral in Manassas several times before this. I didn't know there was a policy against it.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

It's generally best to NOT ask for letters confirming pro-gun policies (i.e., absence of anti-gun policies) - don;t ask don;t tell should be the general rule for us - if you ask, you are asking to be told "no" - the iea is for people to just discreetly open carry it becomes a fait acompli consumer behavior and then merchants have litle economic choice but to allow it

exceptions to asking would probably ioncude being told by a rogue agent of the company that companiy policyis that you cannot carry - then i think its OK to discreetly and politely contact management for clarification

"in your face" with private companies is always the WRONG way to go

B

Bikenut

imported post

To add a little perspective what should be mentioned is something quite simple:

Golden Corral and Starbucks did nothing more than exercise their property right to not exclude people who carry guns from being on/in their property.

Along with the private property right to ban there is also the right to not ban. And that right has nothing to do with the public, public accommodation, any politician's or public official's thoughts or opinions, or the Brady Campaign's agenda/elitist assumption they can tell others what to do.

And it is that other side of property rights, the right to not ban, that has the Bradys panties all wadded up because Golden Corral and Starbuck's decision to not ban showed that property rights are more powerful than the Brady's attempts at intimidation and that the Bradys have no real power.

comp45acp

imported post

Bikenut wrote:
To add a little perspective what should be mentioned is something quite simple:

Golden Corral and Starbucks did nothing more than exercise their property right to not exclude people who carry guns from being on/in their property.

Along with the private property right to ban there is also the right to not ban. And that right has nothing to do with the public, public accommodation, any politician's or public official's thoughts or opinions, or the Brady Campaign's agenda/elitist assumption they can tell others what to do.

And it is that other side of property rights, the right to not ban, that has the Bradys panties all wadded up because Golden Corral and Starbuck's decision to not ban showed that property rights are more powerful than the Brady's attempts at intimidation and that the Bradys have no real power.

Outstanding observation and well said!

since9

Campaign Veteran

Just wanted to add my two cents saying I love the way you put that, as well as to say our recent OC meet at the Golden Corral in Colorado Springs two weeks ago went very well! My hat's off to businesses who recognize supporting 2A rights helps protect both the community as well as their own businesses from an environment of crime.

heresyourdipstickjimmy

I submitted a problemI had with Golden Corral last week.

Can you guess the problem? Their Open Carry Policies.

I had found a letter a Golden Corral representative sent an Open Carrier regarding their policies. They said, "no weapons were permitted."

I submitted a comment to Golden Corral saying I no longer felt safe in their restaurants.

Today I recieved a call from Scott Scaberg, a representative of Golden Corral.

He informed me that Golden Corral has changed their policies and they follow state lawswhich honor Open Carry in their restaurants.

Can you guess what I did?

I OCed to Golden Corral tonight. I didn't have a problem at all! It was a very enjoyable dinner and I feltbetter knowing Golden Corral didn't have a problem with me.

edit: Two Hoover Police Officers came in and didn't say a word.

Scott is supposed to be sending me a copy of his response. I'll post it once I get it!

-Tim

Tim,

Was this from Corporate or was it from the franchise owner?
Either way, it's a starting point.

rottman43055

They are posted No Guns here in Ohio

I complained to the one in Zanesville. They took the sign down, then said corporate made them put it back up.

eye95

Really? Someone is lying then. There are four people, one of whom must be lying for the first post and the last post to be reconciled.

Absent something in writing from The Golden Corral indicating that their policy is different, I choose to believe the first poster whom I know personally.

TFred

I complained to the one in Zanesville. They took the sign down, then said corporate made them put it back up.
Sounds like someone needs some accountability.

If I were you, or if I lived in the vicinity of this restaurant, I would ask the manager for the name and contact information of this "corporate" person. If they are truly being told this by corporate, they shouldn't mind giving it to you. If they are lying, they will use any excuse they can think of (and if you ask them this in person, I'd bet you would be able to tell they are thinking up a story as fast as they can) to not give you this information.

Either way, a follow up with corporate would be good. I cannot tolerate liars even more than I cannot tolerate anti-gunners. If you're going to be anti-gun, at least have the guts to own up to it.

TFred

rottman43055

Sounds like someone needs some accountability.

If I were you, or if I lived in the vicinity of this restaurant, I would ask the manager for the name and contact information of this "corporate" person. If they are truly being told this by corporate, they shouldn't mind giving it to you. If they are lying, they will use any excuse they can think of (and if you ask them this in person, I'd bet you would be able to tell they are thinking up a story as fast as they can) to not give you this information.

Either way, a follow up with corporate would be good. I cannot tolerate liars even more than I cannot tolerate anti-gunners. If you're going to be anti-gun, at least have the guts to own up to it.

TFred

I am one town over from Zanesville and we get out and go there about once a month. It has been less than two weeks ago we where there and it was definately posted. I OCed an empty holster so people immune to seeing the sign may actually get it the effect on law abiding citizens.

I will give them a call again this week and see what I can find out. But the sign did go down after I complained only to go back up and it was either the manager or assistant manager (both are there all the time) that said they got reemed over it. So I don't know.....

TFred

I am one town over from Zanesville and we get out and go there about once a month. It has been less than two weeks ago we where there and it was definately posted. I OCed an empty holster so people immune to seeing the sign may actually get it the effect on law abiding citizens.

I will give them a call again this week and see what I can find out. But the sign did go down after I complained only to go back up and it was either the manager or assistant manager (both are there all the time) that said they got reemed over it. So I don't know.....
It will be interesting to see what you find out. Unfortunately, this sort of thing could have come from any level of management between the local store and the very top. Sometimes you gotta roll over them all on the way to the top.

TFred