• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good news from Intercity Transit!

BluesBear

imported post

heresolong wrote:
Really depends on how you read the sentence. I would suggest that the "or" separates the two clauses.

1) to any police officer
2) to any other person when and if required by law to do so

Police can ask any time and you have to show it to them. Any other person only applies if there is a law requiring it.

If it was the way you are interpreting it then it should read "to any police officer, or to any other person, when and if required by law to do so".

I know this seems nit picky but if people are going to argue an intepretation of law based on the wording of a sentence in the law, then I think we have opened up the door to the discussion of whether their interpretation is the correct one.

BINGO!

We have a WINNER!

THAT'S why legal jargon relies so heavily on the words AND & OR. in this instance the OR is a separator of the two independent clauses.
...to any police officer - OR - to any other person when and if required by law to do so.
any other person when and if required by law to do so.

Notice the lack of a comma between person and when. That makes it a singular, inclusive phrase.

So until there is legislation enacted that says bus drivers have the authority to check anyone for possession of a validCPL then bus drivers are NOT able to ask you about it. After I produced the corporate e'mails regarding open carry to the salesman in Cabela's he resopnded with, "Well, you understand, I had to ask." to which I replied, "No, that's just it, you are not allowed to ask." To which he then agreed.

IF you want to purchase a handgun and not endure the waiting period the FFL salesman is required by state law to inspect your CPL. A simple "Yes I have one" is not goodenough. You must show it to the FFL clerk. But not to a bus driver.

At least not yet.