• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good Situational Awareness

Esanders2008

What you did wrong...

While leaving your apartment... 1) He knows where you live;

You were approached, but your life was not threatened, but reached for your gun 2) by some definitions you brandished

You engaged the person in conversation... 3) You have no way to identify him because you didn't divide up the SA tasks with your partner correctly.

He ran over to a truck where a friend was waiting...4) But you did not get a license number or any way to identify the truck or the driver

He was driven off and you went to the restaurant...5) But did not call in a report to the police

Though you had witnesses...6) I bet you did not get their names or any contact information (something you'd normally do for a car accident, right?)

You reached for your firearms... 7) He and his friend, knowing where you live, now know you have firearms probably worth stealing.

By not calling it in to the cops... 8) The guy could have called them and said 'I was just walking down the street and two people who live in Apartment building XYZ came out and threatened me with their guns'.

Other than that, you did good. No injuries, no robbery.

Except they don't know that I reached for a gun. I was CC, with an IWB holster, and never announced anything about a gun. I could have been reaching for a cell, or maybe a knife, or maybe I was scratching my behind. Lol

JustaShooter

What you did wrong...

While leaving your apartment... 1) He knows where you live;

I don't see where you could say that was something they did wrong - should they stay in their apartment cowering in fear, peering out the windows until they can be sure nobody is out there? :uhoh:

Maverick9

I don't see where you could say that was something they did wrong - should they stay in their apartment cowering in fear, peering out the windows until they can be sure nobody is out there? :uhoh:

The 'wrong' is situational, true but I was setting up point 7, that because it happened right outside your apartment, he knows where you live, can report you to the cops, and can case the joint for a firearm, which he probably thinks you were reaching for.

Truth is you'll probably never hear from the guy again, but -because- it happened close enough to home that he can find you, it would have been prudent to exercise more due diligence. I.e. get a license plate, call in a police report and try to identify the guy. It may not help you immediately, but if he is picked up shortly after they might be able to ascertain it's the same guy who is running some scam or mugging operation.

Another way to look at it for perspective...say you were visiting a city 50 miles away and this happened while you were coming out of a random building. You'll go home and never see the guy again, he can't call in a report of brandishing (a lie, sure) because you're not there, and he can't case the joint to see if you really do have guns.

In THAT instance, I'd say it's silly to call it in, or get a plate number or be at all worried. But that's not the case. It DID happen near the OP's home, he can track you, he suspects you may have a gun and he could tell the cops you brandished.

Exhaustive, worst case analysis? Sure. That's why people post here, right?

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Eddy -

You done good.

There are some things you could have done better. Many of them have been discussed above. Read over them with Courtney and decide which ones you would like to work on.

The next time you and your wife plan to go out to dinner, go to WalMart instead (or any of the other big box stores) and spend the money on a digital voice recorder. No need to get the top of the line one that records for 96 hours on one AAA NiMH battery - 8 or 12 hours are probably overkill for you.

As for what to say - I am a proponent of keeping it short and sweet (at least in this sort of situation): STOP! STAY AWAY FROM ME(US)! And if they continue in spite of that, try GET BACK! I TOLD YOU TO STAY AWAY! (Do not go for the unfortunately popular "Take one step closer and I'll blow your head off" or the like.)

When everybody goes home with the same number of openings in their body as they started out with, and no laws were broken (or bent too badly) it generally is a good day.

stay safe.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Eddy -

You done good.

There are some things you could have done better. Many of them have been discussed above. Read over them with Courtney and decide which ones you would like to work on.

The next time you and your wife plan to go out to dinner, go to WalMart instead (or any of the other big box stores) and spend the money on a digital voice recorder. No need to get the top of the line one that records for 96 hours on one AAA NiMH battery - 8 or 12 hours are probably overkill for you.

As for what to say - I am a proponent of keeping it short and sweet (at least in this sort of situation): STOP! STAY AWAY FROM ME(US)! And if they continue in spite of that, try GET BACK! I TOLD YOU TO STAY AWAY! (Do not go for the unfortunately popular "Take one step closer and I'll blow your head off" or the like.)

When everybody goes home with the same number of openings in their body as they started out with, and no laws were broken (or bent too badly) it generally is a good day.

stay safe.

All good advice there, Eddy ... but make sure no one sees you brandishing your finger at the bad guy... ;-)

POPS VA

Except they don't know that I reached for a gun. I was CC, with an IWB holster, and never announced anything about a gun. I could have been reaching for a cell, or maybe a knife, or maybe I was scratching my behind. Lol

Man the whole story is scary, but you used basic tactics and defused what might have otherwise been a bad situation. Since I have never encountered a similar situation I can only say, good job, no one got hurt.:banana:

Rusty Young Man

or carry two weapons

Are you the Double-Wielding Open Carry-er? So the legend is true!
[Someone asks]: "What legend?"
The legend speaks of the Double-Wielding OCer coming to teach the carrying of a second primary weapon... chambered in a respectable caliber that starteth with the holy number four... (couldn't resist; I don't hate any calibers based solely on their size, shape, color, or speed)

On a serious note: I would if I could afford it. As it is, I'm saving up for another 1911 or CZ 75B, and only recently completed the "minimum requirements" OC get-up of pistol, holster, thick carry belt, video recorder, and spare mag holder. And that is just the bare minimum. Tuition hikes aren't helping any either. Maybe if I cut food out of my budget?:confused:

*Edit* Didn't mean for that to come off as sarcasm. I really would double OC if I could. It might even out the weight on my belt.

Last edited: