• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Government Motors’ brand new Chevy Volt already obsolete

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
EV's will have real potential when battery technology get's better. Right now; without paying over $20,000 just for a battery pack, only smaller vehicles like NEV's are economical. I've got an NEV that will go about 40 miles on flat ground before a recharge is needed and it will do 30 mph. It runs on 8, 6v batteries with a 5kw SepEx motor. I don't live in town anymore though and can't legally drive it on roads with over a 35mph posted speed limit, nor would I want to.

Now, I'm working on converting an electric golf cart to 4WD. This thing should go nearly anywhere when it's done and will be more useful to me where I live. I plan on selling the NEV. I've also done work on converting a riding lawnmower to electric. I've got all the parts to do it, just need the right donor and the time. I'll be able to mow my lawn for about 54 cents if I ever get that mower done.

Electric power has a lot of advantages with one major negative; the battery pack.

stainless1911

Banned
The electric cars will pollute way more, way worse than gas cars do. They just dont pollute much while driving them. Construction, chemicals, waste, crashes, junk yard debris, repairs, recycling, you name it. Just build a car out of iron and aluminum, and when its done, melt it down and start over. So what if it has an exhaust pipe.

Aknazer

My '96 Camaro has gotten up to 23mpg on the freeway and 17mpg city (averages 18-20 freeway and 15-16 city) and I don't exactly have the lighest of feet; and it has the power to blow most other cars on the road away. My wife has a 2012 Focus that averages 25mpg city (we haven't taken it on a road trip so I can't reliably say what freeway MPG it gets) and it can go at 70+mph without problems. How much we have paid for our vehicles is less than a Volt and only slightly more than the cost of Prius (only because the Focus was fully loaded minus a sun roof). I see absolutely no reason to pay so much more for these electric vehicles for such a decrease in power and barely better MPG when compared to traditional cars. But hell, if I wanted I could use my Camaro to tow as it has the HP and torque to do so (and I've even seen some Camaros with the hitch and towing).

The only thing that would be nice would be to not have to run premium in my Camaro, but that's the cost of having a v8 with aftermarket upgrades.

stainless1911

Banned
A small price to pay.

I love the prius, reminds me of why I have a camaro

PICT0008.jpg

Aknazer

Nice looking Camaro, but you still have the salad shooters! Should upgrade the rims :p I'll post a pic of mine when I'm not on my work computer and can access the site with the pics.