• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Green Bay Open Carry Event

AaronS

imported post

Mugenlude wrote:
AaronS wrote:
Green Bay in two weeks?

If thats the weekend of the 27th, we have a litter pick-up that weekend. Sat June 27th at 10 am.

Im in, if you do it sunday I guess.
can you link me to information on the litter pick-up, I've heard about it, but I can't seem to find anything... thanks!

Should be a good turn out for the clean up.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum66/21625.html

Check it out, and sign up. The person that started it was quick, and has done a good job in getting it running. Think about it, the state will now put up signs for pro-opencarry (adopt a highway signs). Now thats getting the word out!

Landose_theghost

imported post

BTW, just a refresher,There is NO set date as of yet so please do not clear your schedule for the 2 week window. This is more of a Hypothetical to gauge the number of people that will be showing up to this event when it does take place. I do however believewe've gotten the jist of how many people will be showing upand it looks like we will be renting a 100 person pavillion @ Bay Beach amusement park here in GB. I will be reposting next week with a set time & date so PLEASE keep eyes on this post. Thanks!

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Be assured, that I and a few others WILL make the trek ALL THE WAY accross the state to support our east cost brothers.

We are also prepared to travel to the north woods should that date ever be finalized.

AaronS

imported post

With some time to get ready, I would be happy to come up from Milwaukee.

My truck only has two seats, but I am sure I could fill the second one...

Let us know.

xdfan83

imported post

I would also make the trip up there with a few other people. Is this still going to happen?

RugerMan

imported post

Landose_theghost wrote:
BTW, just a refresher,There is NO set date as of yet so please do not clear your schedule for the 2 week window. This is more of a Hypothetical to gauge the number of people that will be showing up to this event when it does take place. I do however believewe've gotten the jist of how many people will be showing upand it looks like we will be renting a 100 person pavillion @ Bay Beach amusement park here in GB. I will be reposting next week with a set time & date so PLEASE keep eyes on this post. Thanks!
Landose,

Are you still the lead for this event? Should others move forward with possible dates/locations? I know there are MANY northerners who are eager to attend an event in GB. And since we cannot get a straight answer directly from GBPD on the matter of OC, i'm interested in bringing the debate -and awareness, to the frozen tundra.

We have so much momentum in the state for OC and 2A issues lately, this is a perfect time to seize the opportunity and stand together.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

smithman wrote:
For everybody on this forum, I don't buy the 'out of reach' requirement, since it's not in the law regarding vehicle carry. Unloaded/encased, period!
Sorry, this is black letter law in Wisconsin, as it is in most states, and binding on trial courts. See State v. Alloy.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

[align=left]A challenge on constitutional grounds of a prosecution for carrying a concealed weapon requires affirmative answers to the following before the defendant may raisethe constitutional defense: 1) under the circumstances, did the defendant’s interest in concealing the weapon to facilitate exercise of his or her right to keep and bear arms substantially outweigh the state’s interest in enforcing the concealed weapons statute? and 2) did the defendant conceal his or her weapon because concealment was the only reasonable means under the circumstances to exercise his or her right to bear arms? State v. Hamdan, 2003 WI 113, 264 Wis. 2d 433, 665 N.W.2d 785, 01−0056[/align]
[align=left]I highlighted the above snippet from Wi Stat. 941.23.

Since my having an unloaded fully encased weapon in the passenger compartment of my truck is the only reasonable means for proper transport in accordance with what is written in the statute.
Since one cannot be reasonably expected to have a firearm in the open bed of a truck available for anyone to grab or for it to be out in inclement weather.[/align]
[align=left]I do not think State V. Alloy is a reasonable case to use for this argument becuase there was alot of other things going on with his arrest and charges. And nowhere does it state if the firearm is loaded or unloaded. I do agree that traveling with a loaded weapon in a case is a citable offense under current WIlaw.[/align]
[align=left]Here are some of the chargesAlloy was also dealing with;[/align]
[align=left]The jury acquitted Alloy on charges of attempted first-degree intentional homicide and first-degree reckless endangerment, but convicted him of false imprisonment, misdemeanor battery and two counts of carrying a concealed weapon. This appeal only challenges the conviction for carrying the concealed handgun.[/align]

[align=left]2
All references to the Wisconsin Statutes are to the 1997-98 version unless otherwise[/align]
noted.

The full documant can be found here http://www.wicourts.gov/ca/opinion/DisplayDocument.pdf?content=pdf&seqNo=15922

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Also, how the hell do you transport a firearm on a motorcycle without it being "out of reach"? If you put it in the saddle bag you've committed a double no-no. :banghead:

RugerMan

imported post

Can we move the "within reach" debate somewhere else?

Ok, unless I hear otherwise by Saturday from whomever was organizing this, I'm gonna take the reigns of the GBevent and make it happen. There is obviously sufficient interest.

Sgt_Habz

imported post

Please do. I've been watching this forum for a few weeks now, waiting for a date to be set. There are many of us waiting for the OC revolution to make its way up to the Fox Valley. There have been a great many breakthroughs down in South-East WI, and we'd like to help spread awareness of the legality of OC'ing.

RugerMan

imported post

Ok,

Since Landose seems to have wandered off, I'm going to look into Bay Beach. It's got a few things going for it:

VERY public.

City Park, no rules on firearms.

Not in a school zone.

A cool place to hang out.

It looks like it'd be about $100 to reserve a pavilion that holds about 100 people. I can't foot the bill myself, but would gladly make the arrangements and share the expense with those in attendance.

Do we still have interest?

GlocksRfun

imported post

There's been plenty of interest from the beginning. Please someone set a date, for the love of Pete, this thread is depressing.