• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Belts. What do you wear?

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

I ordered abelt from Jim Spiedel from over at thebeltman nearly three weeks ago. It's still not here... and the suspense is KILLING ME!

Zed

imported post

Not exactly a "True" Gunbelt, but it works almost as well, I use a Simple but thick & stiff Bull Hide leather Belt.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

Saturday will be a month since I ordered my belt from Jim. Haven't received an email saying it was shipped, but his website says they ship a little over 3 weeks after the order is placed. If it ain't here by Saturday, I'm going to send him another email. The irritatingly long wait has almost made me wish I hadn't ordered it. This belt better be pretty damned amazing when it gets here. (This is why I hate ordering via the internet. Your money disappears immediately, but it's WEEKS before you get your purchase! I'm all about some instant gratification)

spurrit

imported post

If you guys are that desperate, I can make you a belt and have it in the mail the next day. I don't take credit cards, though.

What kinda belts are you ordering? Exotic leathers, lined cowhide, or what?

artedna

imported post

I use a rigger belt is a stiff belt in a width of 2"-send e-mail and will give info ordered from internet and recieved in 5 days and total cost with shipping was $46.50.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

Ehh, if I wanted to go back to crappy quality, I'd have just bought a cheapo from the gun shop or a rigger's belt. I bought the belt because they are very high quality in craftsmanship. They are very good-looking AND functional. Also, with the submersion dying they use and the undied inner layer, you get extremely good color-fastness and little to no "bleeding" when you sweat or someone happens to push you into a pool or something.

nh92d

imported post

i'm thinking of having a custom belt done up and i'm waiting to hear back from the guy to see how stiff they are.he said at his web-site that the leather used is 8 or 10-ounce North American Bull Hide.

i'm thinking of getting this but in black and tan for $25(plus shipping)

skull_with_eyelets.jpg

http://www.americancustomleather.com/belts.html

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

A brown one and a black one. Solid tanned leather (no laminates), one from Old Navy and another from Eddie Bauer. I've never needed more; my Uncle Mike's IWB stays where I put it as much from the friction of the material against clothing as the support of the belt, and my Federal OWB holster loops through the belt and doesn't cause any problems there.

thnycav

imported post

I can tend to be rather frugal. I use old stirrup leathers that the ends have broken. Too short for riding but they are great as belts and are very strong. Will support your weight on them.

spurrit

imported post

Yeah, I'm cheap, too. Worn latigos make a pretty good belt. All the dye is already sweated out of them.

Cue-Ball

imported post

I use a nylon reinforced, black leather belt from 5.11. It was about $35 from a local vendor. While I'm very satisfied with the functionality of the belt, I'm very dissatisfied with its appearance. This particular belt is only a few months old and the leather at the edges has peeled back in several places, exposing the white nylon beneath. It looks horrible. I've tried touching it up with paint, but nothing sticks to the nylon (I'm assuming it's nylon. Might be plastic). I'll get another belt to replace it, but I'll go with another company for that one.

bspurs5

imported post

I wear a 1.5" 5 stich frequent flyer from the Wilderness. I absolutely love it! It is stable, lightweight, and cool looking. At $40 shipped, you cannot beat it.

spurrit

imported post

Yeah, I'd guessed, since you wear in your calvalry outfit, in your avatar. I sure didn't think it'd be a 4" western style leather. ;)That'd be a bit stiff.

Olivers_AR

imported post

soloban wrote:
5.11 Tactical reinforced in Brown Leather. Made a world of difference over the other belt I was wearing. I can't even tell I'm carrying a gun when I use that belt. I paid maybe $35 for it at Quantico Arms in Woodbridge VA.

I ended up with one in Black from QTS and its a world of difference, had it on sale <$30.

--Olivers_AR

beradcee

imported post

Olivers_AR wrote:
soloban wrote:
5.11 Tactical reinforced in Brown Leather. Made a world of difference over the other belt I was wearing. I can't even tell I'm carrying a gun when I use that belt. I paid maybe $35 for it at Quantico Arms in Woodbridge VA.

I ended up with one in Black from QTS and its a world of difference, had it on sale <$30.

--Olivers_AR
Just went today and bought the brown one. No sale so it was $35. Half the price of same thing in Galco. Only been wearing it about 4 hours but seems to be ok.

elmbow

imported post

First post here, found this place googling Utah legistlature's clarification on CCW language. Anyways, Filson is what I use. I'd consider a Wilderness belt for field use but everyday civilian where a fella wants to dress a little nicer and have his leather matching, i.e. brown shoes, brown belts, (not too foppish is it?) then a quality double layer harness leather or similar by Filson, De Fatti, Sparks et. al. is the only way to carry a rig IMO. Maker doesn't matter as long as it meets the proper criteria. Single layer leather just can not compare, critters don't grow it thick enough.