• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Confiscation Letters Sent Out in Connecticut!

davidmcbeth

Banned
Well, if this article is to be believed, as of 3/1, the letters are confirmed legit.

http://www.theday.com/article/20140301/NWS01/303019979/1070/NWS

I filed a FOIA request asking for letters that WERE sent...response: none

Followed up with request asking for records relating to the 2 JAN ltrs online, including the letter: awaiting a response

So was the 2 JAN ltr a trial balloon w/i DESPP that fell flat but someone leaked it ... or is it made via Photoshop? I'll find out..but right now, I don't think that any letters were actually sent out.

Gallowmere

Scott Wilson quoted I believe from art. above

Previously Scott said to register and leave argument to later ... nice to see he's being more flexible.

It's amazing how short of a time frame was required for his tune to start changing, eh? I am incredibly interested to see how far the push on this goes. Hopefully the massive backlash that they are very rapidly getting hit with will be enough for the legislators to realize that they dun' goofed.

davidmcbeth

Banned
It's amazing how short of a time frame was required for his tune to start changing, eh? I am incredibly interested to see how far the push on this goes. Hopefully the massive backlash that they are very rapidly getting hit with will be enough for the legislators to realize that they dun' goofed.

Scott's a nice easy going guy ... he tries to keep the group's official statements to be modest if he can.

CCDL is not a revolutionary proponent.

Edward Peruta

For the record on late filed registration documents with despp

1. Any document received by a public agency in CT becomes, (in its original form), a public record which cannot be returned or destroyed without the permission of the State's Public Records Administrator or inaccordance with the published destruction schedule.
See: http://www.ctstatelibrary.org/public-records-programs/state-records-management-program

2. Each request to register a firearm received by The Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection, (DESPP), became a public record when received.

3. All notices of possession/applications and particularly THE LATE APPLICATIONS received by DESPP constitute written admissions of POSSESSION and more than likely contain the requested fingerprint of the individual who submitted same.

4. On January 29th 2014, the following request for public records was made to the Commissioner of DESPP regarding the mandated registration of firearms.

Commissioner,

The undersigned requests prompt access to the following computer files and public records.

1. Records generated and forwarded to your department's SLFU prior to January 1 20014 by licensed firearm dealers which document the sale and purchase of firearms which required mandatory registration prior to January 1, 2014.

2. Any and all public records which were received from, or sent to, individuals who unsuccessfully attempted toregister their firearms after January 1, 2014.

3. Any documents sent to individuals whosuccessfully registered one or more large capacity magazines without registering any firearms for same.

4. Any computer or hard copy public records which document the estimated number, (and location), of firearms that are subject to registration with your Department.

5. Any copies of documents of Assault Weapon Certificates of Possession received by your department after the January 1,2014 deadline.

Respectfully

Edward A. Peruta
c/o Attorney Rachel M. Baird
8 Church Street
Torrington, CT 06790
860-978-5455

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Appreciate what you are doing Edward Peruta, but is there are penalty of substance for their not complying with either maintaining the records as indicated or responding to you in a timely fashion? There are none that I could ascertain.

Of course there is the question of whether such letters were even sent - it is that which touched off this current conflagration. Just resolving that is IMHO worth the effort.

Then someone in authority needs to stay further action at this time - then the law must be repealed.

Edward Peruta

Answers

CT FOI Statues provide for possible civil penalties (Max $1,000.00) for failure to comply but penalties are rarely imposed.

CT Statues have criminal penalties for destruction of public records without the required authorization.

Have calls in to make inquires

Gallowmere

Scott's a nice easy going guy ... he tries to keep the group's official statements to be modest if he can.

CCDL is not a revolutionary proponent.

To be fair, I can't say that I blame him. Unfortunately, we live in a time where the slightest hint of any kind of resistance (no matter how insignificant the wording may be) can result in an entire group being painted as something just barely shy of "terrorists". To be frank, I almost expect that to be the word eventually thrown at people who continue to refuse to obey the new CT laws. If and when that time comes, I will have officially lost what little respect I have left for the media.

As for your second statement: I have yet to see any official group come out and say that they want violence of any sort. It's generally just a few individuals screaming like petulant children. From a tactical perspective, I can see their point. From a civil perspective, they look completely insane. As always, I am interested in seeing how this plays out, and I am looking forward to reviewing any new facts that surface.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I filed another FOIA request today ... seeking, amongst other records, the chatter that DESPP employees and other gov't folks who contacted DESPP about this issue...

Got a response today from Capt Casissita .... said to contact legal dept .... and that's a denial under our act ... I asked for records of his dept...not the legal dept.

I gave him 1 day to correct his bogus response.

Edward Peruta

DESPP is playing defense with the topic of registration

No sense in reinventing the wheel,

The Commissioner is the CUSTODIAN OF THE RECORDS FOR DESPP.

The letter of January 2, 2014 would be subject to this FOI request and access to same should have been provided PROMPTLY.

The complaint was already filed.

Gmail[mailto:edperuta@ctgunrights.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 10:32 AM
To: Attorney Ainsworth, Janet; Christina.Lussier@ct.gov; Col. Stebbins;DESPP Bradford, Reuben; DESPP Plourde, Christine; Patty Tartaglino(ptartaglino@rachelbairdlaw.com); rbaird@rachelbairdlaw.com
Cc: 'Rachel Baird'; 'm.lake@rachelbairdlaw.com'; 'Patty A. Tartaglino';'foi@ct.gov'
Subject: FOI request for PROMPT ACCESS to public records

Commissioner,

The undersigned requests prompt access to the followingcomputer files and public records.

1. Records generated and forwarded to yourdepartment's SLFU prior to January 1 20014 by licensed firearm dealers whichdocument the sale and purchase of firearms
which required mandatory registration prior to January 1, 2014.

2. Any and all public records which were received from, or sent to, individuals who unsuccessfully attempted toregister their firearms afterJanuary 1, 2014.

3. Any documents sent to individuals whosuccessfully registered one or morelarge capacity magazines without registering any firearms for same.

4. Any computer or hard copy public recordswhich document the estimated number,(and location), of firearms that are subject to registration with yourDepartment.

5. Any copies of documents of Assault WeaponCertificates of Possession received by your department after the January 1,2014 deadline.

Respectfully

Edward A. Peruta
c/o Attorney Rachel M. Baird
8 Church Street
Torrington, CT 06790
860-978-5455