• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun - Does anyone like AK's?

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

WASR 10's are fun, inexpensive plinkers; however they aren't as well put together as the Yugo and have thinner receivers. The rarity of the Yugo compared to the Romanian WASR makes it more attractive.

zoom6zoom

imported post

I'm a major AK fan. I've never purchased a completed one, I build all mine from parts kits, including usually forming the receivers from flats as well. In April I helped teach a build class out in Indy, lots of fun. It's not worth building your own if you only want one - I probably have close to $1K in tooling in my shop.

This weekend I'm putting together an M70AB2 and a Yugo RPK. Those are on bought receivers, I can't bend the ones with bulged trunnions.

Not all underfolders are equal; the angle of the stock goes a long way as to how comfortable it is. My favorite is the MD-63, it's at the perfect angle to absorb recoil and point naturally. I also have a Romanian with a sidefolder.

Building your own is a lot of fun (and yes, legal). In addtion to AK's, I've also built a Browning 1919A6 beltfed, and have a few other projects in varying stages of completion.

Eagleeye

imported post

Have my eye on a Romak WASR 2 that cabelas have for $400.00

Just need to get up the down payment for layway though.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
I'm a major AK fan. I've never purchased a completed one, I build all mine from parts kits, including usually forming the receivers from flats as well. In April I helped teach a build class out in Indy, lots of fun. It's not worth building your own if you only want one - I probably have close to $1K in tooling in my shop.

This weekend I'm putting together an M70AB2 and a Yugo RPK. Those are on bought receivers, I can't bend the ones with bulged trunnions.

Not all underfolders are equal; the angle of the stock goes a long way as to how comfortable it is. My favorite is the MD-63, it's at the perfect angle to absorb recoil and point naturally. I also have a Romanian with a sidefolder.

Building your own is a lot of fun (and yes, legal). In addtion to AK's, I've also built a Browning 1919A6 beltfed, and have a few other projects in varying stages of completion.
Would you like to build me an M70B1 fixed stock? I can still find some parts kits and ship them to you to tinker with in case you have nothing else to do. I know it's not me building my own, but it's better than a total stanger.

zoom6zoom

imported post

Sorry, that wouldn't be legal; a homebuilder can't build with the intent to sell. But if you had all your parts and happened to be coming up NoVA way we could probably set up a build party.

You can get a finished receiver for that model from Nodak Spud http://www.nodakspud.com/page2.htm (their NDS-5) for $85 shipped. They just ran out of receviers for the underfolders and don't plan to produce any more. The plus to using a commercial receiver is that it has all the mfg markings and serial numbers so it's much easier to transfer in the future if you need to do so. Most homebuilds are unmarked. I do have an pantograph engraving machine but need to learn how to use the dang thing.

With a finished receiver, you pretty much just have to do the riveting. Pulling and reinstalling the barrel can be done with fairly simple tools. Plus, as I said, you can't bend your own receiver for an M70 since it's a bulged trunnion design.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

It would be legal if I provided a receiver, which is the "rifle" part of the equation. Maybe we will get a chance to get that build party going before all the kits run out.:banghead:

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Wow,I'm really sick! I just bought an RPK today. My wife is definitely going to kill me!:banghead: I had to though. $412 shipped and delivered? Who could pass that up? Now... who wants to play GI vs VC?:celebrate

zoom6zoom

imported post

.40, did you get the AES10B? It has the correct heavier barrel and the bipod at the muzzle. Century had an earlier model (AES10) which had a lighter barrel and the bipod mounted at the end of the handguards. Looked fine, but wasn't correct.

I have the receiver for my RPK sitting in the basement now, hope to finish building it this weekend.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

I did indeed make sure it was the 10B. I also got the dealer to agree to take it back if it wasn't the right configuration. Very pleasant to deal with. It would have been $400 even, had I not used my check card. Small price to pay for instant gratification.

edit: Zoom, do you know the difference between the RPK bipod vs the RPD? I hear that this is something I have to look out for, but my searches through the other forums turned up nothing.

imperialism2024

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
Wow,I'm really sick! I just bought an RPK today. My wife is definitely going to kill me!:banghead: I had to though. $412 shipped and delivered? Who could pass that up? Now... who wants to play GI vs VC?:celebrate
Nice.

You didn't happen to pick up a spare, did you? :lol:

Aegis

imported post

Huck wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
I carried an M70 during the war in Croatia and also in Iraq. You can't beat the Jugoslav produced AK.

I do, however, prefer the M-16 and its variants over the AK. (And I know this statement will cause a $shitstorm here), but I've carried both in combat and prefer the M-16 family for its light weight accuracy and hit potential. Plus, I can carry twice as many rounds at the same weight.

Just my personal preference.

I like the m-16/m4 family too. I absolutely loved the m-16a1 I used in the National Guard and now have a Bushmaster carbine.

I've have trigger time with the AK and I like those as well and have thought about getting one but I already have 10 guns and I dont figure I need any more. The only thing about the AK I dont really care for is thatlooooong magazine. It seems to get in the way a lot.

Having spent 23 years in the service and several of those in baghdad; I have found myself on the recieving end of AK's on a regular basis....I have to admire the durability ( if not the lack of distance accuracy) of the weapon.

But I can tell you from personal experience that when that AK round hits you...IT HURTS! Body Army saved my life, but I still tossed my cookies.

I cant think of a more overall reliable field rifle than the AK.....and if I had to pick a combat rifle based on stopping power, the AK would be it.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Awesome rifle, the M14. I think it is one of the best all around rifles you can get. The thing is that the .308 round has gotten expensive (moreso than the 7.62x39) and the rifle itself is more expensive than the Kalashnikovs. They are also heavier and not as convenient for urban conflict, which would be a big concern as I don't live in a rural area. I will soon have one of those in my arsenal because it is great if I have to move up to the high ground. It would be my "reach out and touch someone" rifle.

johnnyb

Banned
imported post

any opinions on the maadi variant? (egyptian)

i see one at a pawn shop for $449.00 does this sound like a decent price? i haven't seen the rifle yet but i assume its in "good" condition.

the thumb hole stock sucks IMO so i would probably replace that.

what do you think about that price? and the quality of the maadi?

i also can get a new yugo ak for around $750.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

No on the yugo for $750. I just bought one today for $500 (I know, I'm sick). The Maadi's nice and the thumbhole stock can be easily converted as long as the receiver is a straight cut instead of slanted. Look at these forums: www.theakforum.netand www.ar15.com. These are great resources, and the folks on there are even more fanatical than I am. Check out the marketplace and the equipment exchange in each of these, respectively. The Maadi might actually be agood buy. PS: I own 4 Yugos and love each one, but for that price? Not yet... They will cost as much soon enough.

johnnyb

Banned
imported post

thanks for the reply.

i bought the maadi. i paid $429 came with a 40 round magazine.

it also has a different stock on it, its a normal wooden one thats been painted (badly) black. it has scope mounts and some shitty BB gun wannabe scope on it. and also a muzzle break.

id like to get some synthetic pieces for it, and a folding stock on the end. and replace the scope with a red dot.

i shot it tonight and it shoots well and everything works.

the rounds at walmart are too damn expensive. $33 for 40 rounds of the "cheap" stuff... wow... :uhoh:

.40 Cal wrote:
No on the yugo for $750. I just bought one today for $500 (I know, I'm sick). The Maadi's nice and the thumbhole stock can be easily converted as long as the receiver is a straight cut instead of slanted. Look at these forums: http://www.theakforum.netand http://www.ar15.com. These are great resources, and the folks on there are even more fanatical than I am. Check out the marketplace and the equipment exchange in each of these, respectively. The Maadi might actually be agood buy. PS: I own 4 Yugos and love each one, but for that price? Not yet... They will cost as much soon enough.